shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I pick as my wedding band?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I haven't thought too much about my wedding band yet, but I was looking at JA's 15% off sale and thought maybe I could take advantage. I'm not sure exactly what I should do for my wedding band. My e-ring is an alexandrite, which is my birthstone. I've always liked the idea of having sapphires in my wedding band since that is future hubby's birthstone. But I'm not sure if sapphires would look right with an alexandrite or if I should stick with all diamonds.

I've also always wanted something with a "fun" shape. The shank of my ering is marquise shaped, so I thought something that mimics that would be nice. But, there's other stackers/bands I've found that I also really like, so I'm not sure what direction I should go in.

This is my ering:
img_1971_1.jpg

These are the sapphire options I'm considering at JA:
fotorcreated1.jpg

This is another sapphire option I'm considering...not necessarily the exact ring in the picture, but the same design of diamonds in the marquise bezel followed by a round sapphire and with milgrain:
14681668.jpg

So thoughts? Would sapphires look good with my ering, and if so, do any of those bands seem like they would go well? Or, should I go for all diamonds, no sapphires?

Also, I wasn't quite sure where would be the best place to post this. If this seems more appropriate for the colored stones forum, please let me know and I'll ask and admin to move it. Thank you!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i really like the top two band styles with your ring. but i would worry that the two different colors would compete against one another, kwim? Could you do a surprise/hidden sapphire on the inside of your wedding band instead?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with an all-diamond band, because sapphire is only going to match some of your engagement ring's colors and it's possible that some of the color couplings might not look that good. If you do want to go with a sapphire band, I'd go with the fourth one you've shown for two reasons - first, I wouldn't want a ring with "stations" since they'd be mis-aligned and eventually I'd want to change that ;)) and second, the color differences won't stand out as much because the stones are smaller.

Q

Queenie60

I would stick with all diamonds as the two different gem stone colors will clash.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think any of the options you posted could look nice, but I agree that all diamonds would be best for a "match." I would suggest getting a sapphire band later as an anniversary type gift, and you could wear it on your right hand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds, definitely. Blue sapphire and alexandrite are not the same color. I think a simple milgrain edge, all diamond band (like bottom middle pic with all diamonds) would go best with your ring since your e-ring has the marquise shaped band.

Is your ring platinum or white gold? I am really not seeing a good diamond band with milgrain edge on JA except one half diamond band, and I'd want more than half (preferably a little sizing area).

http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-rings/womens-carved/14k-white-gold-pave-diamond-ring-item-52291

metooplease

Rough_Rock
I am hesitant to post due to my ignorant newbie-ness...

I had to google alexandrite as I'm not sure of the color...on my monitor your ring reminds me of the various shades of Montana Sapphire that I have seen...kind of bluish purplish? (not the ones that are overly gray). I think that since the stones are small and if you choose a ring that doesn't have them all next to each other, you might get away with it (like the first of your choices). I would have white sapphires in between, also.

Just a thought as I love the sentiment of having his birthstone.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Girlyglam,

What a beautiful engagement ring. I love the alexandrite (wow!) and the interesting shank.

I like the choices you showed for wedding bands. As stand-alone rings, or with another ring with a plain shank, any of them would be a great choice. But I wonder how the various shapes look against the shank of your ring. Would the scalloped edges for the engagement ring and wedding ring line up, or fit into, each other? Or would there be gaps between the two? Would the two different shapes take away from each other?

Some women want the two rings to fit flush, others prefer a gap, so that's something you may want to consider.
If the two ring edges didn't line up, would the gaps be asymmetric, and would that bother you or not?

I agree with the other posters, in that I don't feel the colors of your alexandrite and blue sapphires are a good combination. I've always felt that two colors that are similar, but slightly different, don't go together. They either have to be identical or sufficiently contrasting.

Obviously, an all-diamond wedding ring would easily go well with your ring, as far as color is concerned.

However, I like the sentiment of including your husband's birthstone. Maybe diamonds mixed with a different color of sapphire (maybe a very light shade of yellow, orange, purple, pink, etc.) or colorless....

Just my 2 cents.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all! In my heart of heart, I agree with what everyone has said - all diamonds would look better. But thinking about it, there is a part of me that is having trouble letting go of the sentimentality of having sapphires so we'll see... maybe I'll get both! :Up_to_something:

Also, thank you to those who brought up the point of the shapes not lining up with my ering shank. This is a great point, and I'm now thinking that a straight edge band would be better than one with shapes. Actually, really, I think I need to go to a jeweler and try some things on!

diamondseeker2006|1454090660|3983620 said:
All diamonds, definitely. Blue sapphire and alexandrite are not the same color. I think a simple milgrain edge, all diamond band (like bottom middle pic with all diamonds) would go best with your ring since your e-ring has the marquise shaped band.

Is your ring platinum or white gold? I am really not seeing a good diamond band with milgrain edge on JA except one half diamond band, and I'd want more than half (preferably a little sizing area).

http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-rings/womens-carved/14k-white-gold-pave-diamond-ring-item-52291

My ring is white gold, and I agree that I would love to have milgrain on whatever I end up with to tie it into my ering. I also agree that I would want more than half, and I'm realizing that none of my JA choices actually fit that, so I feel like that answers my question about trying to take advantage of the JA sale! And, it gives me more time to really feel out what I want.

metooplease said:
I am hesitant to post due to my ignorant newbie-ness...

I had to google alexandrite as I'm not sure of the color...on my monitor your ring reminds me of the various shades of Montana Sapphire that I have seen...kind of bluish purplish? (not the ones that are overly gray). I think that since the stones are small and if you choose a ring that doesn't have them all next to each other, you might get away with it (like the first of your choices). I would have white sapphires in between, also.

Just a thought as I love the sentiment of having his birthstone.

Lol, I'm a total newbie too! I'm learning quickly by being here though. Alexandrites are a color change stone so they are generally some sort of green in daylight to pinkish/purple in incandescent light. The best ones have a really strong and noticeable color change. Mine doesn't have 100% color change and only has moderate color change. It tends to stay more in variations of its green colorway most of the time. In daylight it's usually bottle green. In mixed light, you can see where it's turned purple and where it's green if you look closely, but most of the time, the mix of the two colors actually looks teal to my eye (which I love!). And then in incandescent light, it turns dark purple. Love the stone, but its different personalities make it difficult for me to imagine if a CS would look good with it or not!

Garnetgirl said:
However, I like the sentiment of including your husband's birthstone. Maybe diamonds mixed with a different color of sapphire (maybe a very light shade of yellow, orange, purple, pink, etc.) or colorless....

Never even thought of different color sapphires! Definitely something to consider...thank you!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
girlyglam said:
Thank you all! In my heart of heart, I agree with what everyone has said - all diamonds would look better. But thinking about it, there is a part of me that is having trouble letting go of the sentimentality of having sapphires so we'll see... maybe I'll get both!

I have no idea what this would be like: diamonds interspersed with a few colorless sapphires. The look would be similar to that of an all-diamond ring and you could have it all in one ring. Just a thought....

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like mixing shapes so that it's purposely mis-matched, but matchy with the same metal and the milgrain and the diamonds, if you know what I mean.

In this case, I would go with either the baguette round band, or the larger/smaller round bezel band.

FYI - I just purchased the bezel band with the larger/smaller round in all diamond, and the 15% off applies!!! I worked with Christina, and she said that since the customization was simple, the discount was applicable! (enable... enable... enable...) :naughty: :Up_to_something: :wavey: :whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results