shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I look for in an appraiser for an antique ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

4ets

Rough_Rock
I have my great grandmother''s ring that she bought in the early 1920''s. It''s an art deco 18K white gold princess type ring. A private jeweler and a commercial jeweler have both told us the main diamond is a miners cut with 2 smaller old diamonds, but to the naked eye, it looks round in its setting. I can tell there is a culet, so maybe that is what they are looking at. The commercial jeweler said it was a very nice diamond.

My question is this...commercial appraisers use the modern charts, right? Does an appraiser need a separate certifcation for an antique diamond? I don''t want to leave my ring with anyone. It is the only thing I have of my great grandmother and my mother.

The commercial jeweler says they will appraise it for $95. I''ve had other smaller commercial jewelers say $75, but they send it to the appraiser. The private jeweler doesn''t appraise antique jewelry. I don''t find local appraisers within reasonable driving distance. So would the chain commercial appraisal be worth the money? I''m not looking to sell it ever and not in the market for a new diamond, and they know that.

Are there appraisers who travel west of Atlanta and what accreditation and price should I be looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results