shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do with Valerie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valerie is the name of my very 80s sapphire ring. I'm in the mood to give her a facelift but I am undecided. I would like to reuse the diamonds in some capacity. And I would like the sapphire setting to have some diamonds.

The 12 rounds are exactly enough to make a halo around the sapphire, but as I have Elsa now, do I need another halo?
I was also considering buying side stones, and then use the rounds to make a half eternity..

Anyways. I would love your ideas. Like I said, ideally I'd like to repurpose the diamonds somehow.

smellynelson_1308066606567574511.png

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
You leave poor Valerie alone! ;-)

What are you in the mood for? I would have suggested something similar to your zircon ring but I'm not sure you want another halo. Are you thinking something more modern?

If it were me, I'd do yellow gold and something like the CvB Astrid halo or Chloe. Or a variation of a gypsy set ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1475874136|4084572 said:
You leave poor Valerie alone! ;-)

What are you in the mood for? I would have suggested something similar to your zircon ring but I'm not sure you want another halo. Are you thinking something more modern?

If it were me, I'd do yellow gold and something like the CvB Astrid halo or Chloe. Or a variation of a gypsy set ring.

i am not exactly sure what i am in the mood for but yes my zircon ring (Elsa) meets the halo needs so i dont really know if this needs to be a halo too. I have a cople of setting ideas, ill post them in one sec...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so some ideas I have. These aren't exact but you get the idea. One is a three stone neither with her baguettes or buy some side stones, then use the rounds to make a geometric wedding band.

Or do like a side detail similar to this

83049-2_3.jpg

picsart_10-07-05.jpg

picsart_42.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Or, leave the ring along and just start rockin shoulder pads to make it apropro? :)

Seriously thoug, both the band and that last ring are amazing. But what about the baguettes? (Are the tapered? Its hard to tell).

This was the "omg don't murder me in the parking lot over some tanzanite" craigslist ring, right? Whatever you do, it needs something to live up to that epic story!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1475890848|4084623 said:
Or, leave the ring along and just start rockin shoulder pads to make it apropro? :)

Seriously thoug, both the band and that last ring are amazing. But what about the baguettes? (Are the tapered? Its hard to tell).

This was the "omg don't murder me in the parking lot over some tanzanite" craigslist ring, right? Whatever you do, it needs something to live up to that epic story!

He's this is the very same. The baguettes are tapered so the only way I could use those are with a regular baguette ring.

To be fair sometimes I do rock her as is and I have no qualms about it!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! I think Valerie looks pretty great as is, but, if I was going to change her I'd look at attaching a bail so that I could wear her as a pendant. I know that isn't a wholesale change.......just a different piece of jewelry, but she is unique and quite pretty and I suspect on a neck she would rock! Good Luck with your project!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Neil leave Valerie alone!!!!!! She's so unique and beautiful :love:

If you have the "gota do something" itch I second the pendant idea. What a gorgeous pendant she'd make!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1476003179|4084986 said:
Neil leave Valerie alone!!!!!! She's so unique and beautiful :love:

If you have the "gota do something" itch I second the pendant idea. What a gorgeous pendant she'd make!
It's not an itch that I have to go anything but specifically i don't like the setting long term

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about taking the stone out and selling the setting..... I know this is something I'd LOVE TO buy (when I'm in the market) because it would cost me an arm and a leg (and another arm/leg/body/head) to custom make a setting like this.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1476018940|4085016 said:
What about taking the stone out and selling the setting..... I know this is something I'd LOVE TO buy (when I'm in the market) because it would cost me an arm and a leg (and another arm/leg/body/head) to custom make a setting like this.

Yeah it makes me think maybe I should just let her go. There are a handful of people who would love her as she is, and I wonder if I really should dismantle her. Maybe she deserves to be loved as she is. It really is very Heidi gibson for people who like that style.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1476019217|4085017 said:

Yeah it makes me think maybe I should just let her go. There are a handful of people who would love her as she is, and I wonder if I really should dismantle her. Maybe she deserves to be loved as she is. It really is very Heidi gibson for people who like that style.

In general, I'm not a lover of this type of style, but I love Valerie. Another vote here is not to dismantle her. Can't you just keep her and love her? :praise:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1476033447|4085086 said:
Niel|1476019217|4085017 said:

In general, I'm not a lover of this type of style, but I love Valerie. Another vote here is not to dismantle her. Can't you just keep her and love her? :praise:

Lol but how many blue gemstone round and baguette halos doea one girl need?? :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes but they are so different!

I do know how you feel, though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, no moss grows under your feet, lol! Think its time you became trade as you seem to love the creation/design/acquisition part better than the wearing!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1476040319|4085120 said:
Wow, no moss grows under your feet, lol! Think its time you became trade as you seem to love the creation/design/acquisition part better than the wearing!

Well yes as I said it may be better to sell her whole to someone who would love her. I still have a keep plan for her. But this is the don't keep plan lol

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is another recent thread with K8tlynS hunting for a > 7x6 blue sapphire for a birthday ring. I *think* she said an oval would work, and if so, that would be excellent timing :)

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm probably in the minority here, so please no one hurt me, but I'd love to see you dismantle her. I'm not the biggest fan of the setting long-term either, and I think the stone could really shine in a more "low-key" setting. Right now the setting kinda takes center stage. I'd say either sell the entire thing or remove the sapphire and make a whole new ring (including make half an eternity band with the rounds and save the baguettes for a future project as they're cool). I love all the elements, just not 100% as they're put together now. Again, please don't hate me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1476213730|4085743 said:
I'm probably in the minority here, so please no one hurt me, but I'd love to see you dismantle her. I'm not the biggest fan of the setting long-term either, and I think the stone could really shine in a more "low-key" setting. Right now the setting kinda takes center stage. I'd say either sell the entire thing or remove the sapphire and make a whole new ring (including make half an eternity band with the rounds and save the baguettes for a future project as they're cool). I love all the elements, just not 100% as they're put together now. Again, please don't hate me.

Why would I hate you this post is about me wanting to change it lol.

S

SparkliesLuver

Niel said:
Why would I hate you this post is about me wanting to change it lol.

I don't know. haha Everyone else seems to want you to leave her as-is.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I love to see what you create, I love your eye and choices, so I will not be sad to see you do a project.

If she was mine I wouldn't change a thing and I'd wear the heck out of her- I genuinely love that ring.

Good luck and I will definitely check back to see what you end up doing!

S

SparkliesLuver

By the way, I came across this last night and forgot to post it. I think you could use all your baguettes for a band, similar to this one. It looks like you have two tapered and four straight, if my eyes are correct. I think it'd be really pretty.

_38433.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that color of blue- I'd keep it and do something like this:

But if I wanted to utilize all stones, I'd buy sidestones for a three stone, and do a separate band with all the rounds as you mentioned. With the baguettes I'd do one of these:

Or a simple baguette cross pendant on necklace.
Baguette straight line band like pictured before with all your bags and purchasing a straight one for the center would also be pretty.
But- if I was zeroing in on a single larger project I wanted to put my funds and time into- I'd sell the cluster as is.
Fun projects- either way!

_6164.jpeg

_6165.jpeg

_6166.jpeg

_6167.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I would do the flower cluster outline like this, but of course with bags at midline

Somebody recently has a pear cluster like this posted- it was so lovely with that outline!
Anyways- best of luck to whatever you decide!

_6168.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a cad from dk that was very similar but I backed out as it didn't feel special.

34692.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you have a great design eye. I shouldn't be so quick to say leave her as is because I agree that whatever you make will be lovely. Most people don't have your talent or interest when it comes to designing jewelry, so I would worry that in the hands of someone else, Valerie would be taken apart and reassembled as something not so attractive. Seriously doubt that will be the case with you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1476294844|4086215 said:
I agree that you have a great design eye. I shouldn't be so quick to say leave her as is because I agree that whatever you make will be lovely. Most people don't have your talent or interest when it comes to designing jewelry, so I would worry that in the hands of someone else, Valerie would be taken apart and reassembled as something not so attractive. Seriously doubt that will be the case with you!

My husband may have saved Valerie from the selling block. So that's good. Also I do think I could think of something cool to do with her eventually

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1476295533|4086226 said:
minousbijoux|1476294844|4086215 said:

My husband may have saved Valerie from the selling block. So that's good. Also I do think I could think of something cool to do with her eventually

Lol. Well, you should maybe add some more shots of her to the thread for those of us too lazy to look up her original amazing find thread.

I'll tell you, for me, she's 80's in the best possible way. She reminds me of Prince's Purple Rain- just timeless, and elegant. But if you don't love, then I definitely would love to see what you reinvent. Like Minou, I have no fear here of doing justice, it will be lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results