shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do with this pretty yellow stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
My mom gave me this pretty yellow stone in a rose gold setting. I believe it's a topaz, which would make sense since it's her birthstone, but I will confirm that with her. I really dislike its current setting for a couple reasons. I like rose gold, but I'm not sure about it with the yellow stone. The weird basket-thing that flares out to the sides under the stone is really unattractive, in my opinion. In addition to being less than aesthetically pleasing in design, this setting is not very sturdy--I have not been wearing the ring because the stone is loose in it. The stone is pretty large; I'm estimating it to be about 12mm long and 7mm wide.

So, what do you think would be a good way to set this stone? What kind of metal would look best with it? I'd like the setting to be pretty inexpensive--just something to hold the stone securely and make it look prettier than it does now. I don't think the stone is worth too much, but it has sentimental value to me, and I'd love to be able to wear it again.

Summer 08 147 xs.jpg

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

Summer 08 148 xs.jpg

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

Summer 08 149 xs.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a really pretty stone. I agree with you about the setting though... To me it almost looks like a temp setting, interesting.
The stone made me think of Heidi Klum''s ring, which makes me think yellow gold could be really pretty. Would you wear yelow gold, is it even an option?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 5:11:11 PM
Author: CrookedRock
That''s a really pretty stone. I agree with you about the setting though... To me it almost looks like a temp setting, interesting.

The stone made me think of Heidi Klum''s ring, which makes me think yellow gold could be really pretty. Would you wear yelow gold, is it even an option?

Yes, I definitely wear yellow gold! My e-ring is platinum, but I have a lot of yellow gold jewelry that I wear on occasion as well.

I just confirmed with my mom that it''s a topaz, as far as she knows. She received it as a gift from some relatives in Ukraine, and it was intended to be a birthstone ring. She personally likes the rose gold because it reminds her of her mother''s and grandmother''s Ukrainian-made jewelry (they love rose gold there), but she also assured me that she wouldn''t mind if I went for another metal for the reset.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
That is so pretty! I wonder if I could do something like that relatively inexpensively (with more topaz or something, maybe).

I''m not a big fan of setting larger stones east-west (I do like side stones set E-W, though). I also don''t know if I have enough finger to set this one E-W; my right ring finger is a size 3.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it would look gorgeous on a pendant (and it would be cheaper to set too). I think it is rather too large for a ring for you, considering your ring size.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold would definatelly enhance the stone''s appearance, but only unless there''s not too much metal around it, cause that way the stone might "disappear" in it. White gold would also work since color of the stone isn''t too warm of a yellow (at least not in the photo) so WG wouldn''t wash away too much of it. As for the direction of the stone, unwritten rule says: longer fingers - north/south, shorter fingers - east/west.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
A size 3!!! LOL
Well if you set it e/w it may take up 2 fingers...
Ok I guess you can leave it N/S!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a price range you''re looking at? Yay for setting hunts, LOL!
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kittybean
such a pretty stone and fun to re set it !
If you have a look at Lauren The Partier''s thread on her tourmaline ring, you may get some ideas for diamond settings if thats something you''d like - she has started an epidemic on PS by finding a good source on Ebay, lol
9.gif
As you can see from her pics, the quality is nice , especially for the prices!
I just purchased the same legacy style mount as Lauren for $230
5.gif

Do you have the measurements for the stone?
From my understanding, if the measurements of the mount don''t suit, you can have a custom one made for a minimal cost (~$50).

A yellow gold ring with pave would look awesome I think -
something like this? (currently at $199)..

This is just one example, there are many more for ovals...

060c.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Kittybean,
I believe that you should have the ring looked at to determine what the center stone is...from the color on the screen it could be a less expensive citrine rather then a yellow topaz(dont rule either out yet) I like the rose gold setting...it makes a frame for the stone and adds a great warm feel to this early 1950s scallop ring...could also be a 1970s ring designed after the popular 1950s design, but my money is on the1950s because of the gold color and squared prong work.....I would keep the ring intact and enjoy the compliments you recieve for wearing unusual vintage jewelry.Rose gold is chic and stands out from the mainstream crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results