shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I compromise for the trade of size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lonelyking

Rough_Rock
Alright I know this is a cut-manic place and size is on the back seat. However when I search the goodoldgold.com I was attracted to this 1.5ct. It is slightly off on my original thought of color and clarity, but the size wow, and it''s an H&A with excellent light performance. Could anybody give some comments?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2144/

She is 5''4" 108lb with proportional hands. Could this be too big? I am looking for a white gold or pletinum setting.
Thanks for any help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks gorgeous to me! I would prefer slightly less depth - but the diamond is fine, it is just a preference thing! But all in all that could be a superb choice!
10.gif
I don't think it would be too big, shrinkage sets in REAL quick and this would give a bit of room to allow for that! An I colour will still look very white with this great cut - just check it is eyeclean as it is an SI but I am betting it would be!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
ah yes, i was looking at that one for a litttle while, but decided it was just too far over budget for me. i went down. to a 1.24.

anyway, if you trust the gemex report, you shouldnt be too concerned about that cut. yes, the symetry is a little off, and yes it has a dug out girdle, and the girdle is a little wavy, and its a little deep, but unless you slap the helium report onto a t-shirt and wear it, no one will know, and it will still be better than most. all these problem probably stem from the cutter making sure the stone was over 1.5ct to hit the price point.

as for the clarity, it looks like the main inclusion is a feather near the girdle. guess where the prong goes.

so the real question is, can you handle an "I" color? because i think everything else is liveable.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 9:42:24 AM
Author:lonelyking
Alright I know this is a cut-manic place and size is on the back seat. However when I search the goodoldgold.com I was attracted to this 1.5ct. It is slightly off on my original thought of color and clarity, but the size wow, and it''s an H&A with excellent light performance. Could anybody give some comments?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2144/

She is 5''4'' 108lb with proportional hands. Could this be too big? I am looking for a white gold or pletinum setting.
Thanks for any help.
well, it won''t be ideal but it''s gonna be better than most of what she sees out there :) Plus she can say it is canadian LOL
there is a range that is considered the pinacle, but that doesn''t mean the fringes are ugly stones. Call Jon and ask him what he thinks, he''ll tell you straight :) I doubt he''d post an ugly stone lol

tdiggity

Rough_Rock
I agree with the last guy...talk to jon...he is great. 1.5 karat is a big stone. Does she want something that big? Not all girls want outrageously big. Just a thought for ya! If that is what she wants it looks pretty nice.

lonelyking

Rough_Rock
Is there any thing special about Canadian diamond?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 12:47:57 PM
Author: lonelyking
Is there any thing special about Canadian diamond?
some say they are more likely to be "conflict free"

lonelyking

Rough_Rock
Hello guys, tdiggity was right. We went to the mall (I feel a little guilty to use the mall jeweler''s service for free but what other choice do I have?) and tried a few rings on her finger. We found a rock bigger than 1.2-1.3 looked disproportional and almost ugly and cheaply showy. So it is not the bigger the better. Now I am looking for a 1.1-1.2 stone. Goodoldgold is very good in providing information, but the choice is not that wide. I guess it is not an easy job to serve the picky population here.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hello lonelyking and Welcome to PS!
35.gif

Honestly, I can''t imagine a 1.5-carat diamond being too big, especially if it''s a well-cut stone. It depends on the setting too - what types of settings did you try on? I''ve had some rings on my fingers that look ridiculous on me, but it''s because the setting is just too much. Even 3-stone settings can be overpowering at times. A 1.5-carat simple solitaire could look really nice with the right band thickness.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 9:12:29 PM
Author: lonelyking
Hello guys, tdiggity was right. We went to the mall (I feel a little guilty to use the mall jeweler''s service for free but what other choice do I have?) and tried a few rings on her finger. We found a rock bigger than 1.2-1.3 looked disproportional and almost ugly and cheaply showy. So it is not the bigger the better. Now I am looking for a 1.1-1.2 stone. Goodoldgold is very good in providing information, but the choice is not that wide. I guess it is not an easy job to serve the picky population here.
Just a few random thoughts... as mentioned above, size definitely does not take a back seat around here. I dare say that most of us feel, "The bigger the better!"
31.gif
(As long as the diamond has a great cut and is beautiful and sparkly.) Many of us are more than willing to compromise on color and clarity before size.

Another thing, what you said above has me scratching my head. Now, believe me, there is nothing wrong with a 1.2 - 1.3 carat stone - it''s a GORGEOUS size! But I have to wonder about the quality of the stones you were looking at (and since it was at the mall, that''s a good clue that they were likely mediocre, at best.) I only say this because there is a HUGE difference between a well-cut stone and one less well cut... I can''t imagine any well-cut stone would look "almost ugly" to anyone who loves diamonds.

The point I am trying to make is this: please don''t judge all diamonds by the mall diamonds. And DSS (Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome) sets in quick... believe me. If you can afford a larger (well-cut) stone (like you were looking at earlier), don''t discount it sight-unseen just because of what you saw in the mall. Take the time to look at it on its own merits... your girlfriend may feel quite differently if she could see it in person on her hand.

Just my humble 2 cents!
12.gif

lonelyking

Rough_Rock
The setting will be a simple solitaria with plain thin band, and I will add 2 rings of the same simple design to sandwich the center ring. So the final piece will be a slightly wide band formed with 3 thin lines, and the stone is mounted on the center line. Did I describe it clearly? I have never seen this design until a mall jeweler suggested. It is very unique and looks so elegent on her finger. The material will be platinum.

The ring we tried in the mall was a 1.5ct I VS1 Ideal cut. The price is almost double of what I can get online. Of cause their deal also included insurance, life time trade up, cleaning and repair service, and handshaking (with a "jeweler" far less knowledgeable than most of us here).

GOG sent me email. But I called several times, nobody answered the phone, and no answering machine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results