shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I budget and look for in a nice yellow sapphire?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I bought a wedding set and will be replacing the center stone. I was thinking a yellow sapphire would be cool while I save up for a yellow diamond. It’d need to be about approx 7.6mm & round. I like pale yellow.

Can someone help guide me on this purchase? I don’t want it to be too expensive because I plan to switch it later (long story) and I don’t want to bother a lot of the vendors I follow on IG if it’s way, way more than I could ever spend anyway.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, because sapphires have a higher density than diamonds for a round 7.6mm sapphire you’d be looking at around 2 carats.
Most yellow sapphires are heat treated and pale yellow will be more economical (brighter and deeper tones are considered better aka more expensive). I’d budget for around $900 a carat, so that’s around $1,800.
Another gem you might consider, if it’s just a temporary gemstone, is Citrine. Citrine is quite robust and very economical to buy.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi, because sapphires have a higher density than diamonds for a round 7.6mm sapphire you’d be looking at around 2 carats.
Most yellow sapphires are heat treated and pale yellow will be more economical (brighter and deeper tones are considered better aka more expensive). I’d budget for around $900 a carat, so that’s around $1,800.
Another gem you might consider, if it’s just a temporary gemstone, is Citrine. Citrine is quite robust and very economical to buy.
I will look into that! $1800 is more than I was hoping to spend by quite a bit. Thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a wedding set and will be replacing the center stone. I was thinking a yellow sapphire would be cool while I save up for a yellow diamond. It’d need to be about approx 7.6mm & round. I like pale yellow.

Can someone help guide me on this purchase? I don’t want it to be too expensive because I plan to switch it later (long story) and I don’t want to bother a lot of the vendors I follow on IG if it’s way, way more than I could ever spend anyway.
If you don’t mind treatment, diffused yellow sapphires will be much more affordable than untreated or “heated with no other treatment detected.”

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
If you don’t mind treatment, diffused yellow sapphires will be much more affordable than untreated or “heated with no other treatment detected.”

I’ll have to google what that is/ what that price range looks like. I’m hoping to replace it with a cheaper yellow diamond within a couple of years maybe so if it approaches about 1/4 of the cost I’ll prob just keep the setting stone less. I just thought it was a waste to not wear it in the mean time

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll have to google what that is/ what that price range looks like. I’m hoping to replace it with a cheaper yellow diamond within a couple of years maybe so if it approaches about 1/4 of the cost I’ll prob just keep the setting stone less. I just thought it was a waste to not wear it in the mean time
Or just do a lab sapphire or cz. If it’s a temporary placeholder, then I wouldn’t bother investing more than $50.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Or just do a lab sapphire or cz. If it’s a temporary placeholder, then I wouldn’t bother investing more than $50.

That’s a solid point too. I was thinking trying a natural stone because it could just become something later and stay in the collection possibly... but who knows if that’d actually happen.

Reactions: T L

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you chat with a bench about estimates? Even with a low priced stone the setting could get pricey.

I like TL’s suggestion - if you go down that road the “Fablous Fashion Jewelry” forum would be a good stop.

OTOH, Zircon:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1093859428
Not the most amazing cut ever, but it might get challenging to hit a size target with good cutting at the low end of the price spectrum.
Also depth may come into play, adding to setting challenges.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Did you chat with a bench about estimates? Even with a low priced stone the setting could get pricey.

I like TL’s suggestion - if you go down that road the “Fablous Fashion Jewelry” forum would be a good stop.

OTOH, Zircon:
Not the most amazing cut ever, but it might get challenging to hit a size target with good cutting at the low end of the price spectrum.

I already purchased the setting! I expect it to arrive maybe Thurs? But I was looking at lab yellow sapphires and they seem spendy. Unless I’m looking at the wrong places. The two I saw were over $500...

I’ve gotta keep looking at options. The less I spend on a yellow stone the quicker I can get a diamond in there

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

OTOH, Zircon:

Forgot to add, thanks for linking that website! Lots of stuff there. I’ll have to look tomorrow when I have time to sort through it all.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I already purchased the setting!
Sorry, that wasn’t totally clear - I meant do you have a ballpark of how much it would cost to mount the temporary stone in the setting, and what sort of future re-work might be needed for your forever stone?

There’s a reasonable change that a cut stone you find now won’t be a drop-in fit. Even if it is, the eventual unmounting and re-mounting a new stone will require more bench time.

I’d be a little hesitant if you are saving for a forever stone, the bench cost for the temp stone could eat into your savings plan!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the budget you want to spend? It might work out better if you say I want to spend no more than x or y if you are open to anything (so name other colours you could live with, not just yellow) or start another Post that says help find me a Coloured stone, and everyone just finds you a heap of options that fit into your setting, that are on or around your budget - that way you end up with something pretty and you can wear the ring.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok I would also be in camp leave it alone, or if possible send it back as it is very difficult to find a specific type of stone with a dream colour that is a xxx mm round on a budget. And thus when you go to buy that daimond you will have already curtailed your options. You may find your dream stone only to realize it is completely incompatible with your existing setting.

Plus if you let someone set a coloured stone in it now then (provided the setting will accomodate the deeper cut sapphire) then the bench may cut a seat in the setting and notch the prongs to accomodate the sapphire. And later there may be further alterations to build the setting back up to accomodate the daimond. I am not a jeweler and my advice could be off base but please have a chat to your jeweler before picking this route. And genuinely shop for a 7.6 mm yellow daimond to see how much it would cost and if you can get exactly what you want at this daimeter.

Afterwards even if I was resolved on this route I would want my jewler to tell me how deep my sapphire could be and still fit. And then I would enrich my options by allowing a much more general set of stones, it is temporary anyway so it is a good chance to explore your interests

http://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/1718/Gem+2054-+Blue+Zircon

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, that wasn’t totally clear - I meant do you have a ballpark of how much it would cost to mount the temporary stone in the setting, and what sort of future re-work might be needed for your forever stone?

There’s a reasonable change that a cut stone you find now won’t be a drop-in fit. Even if it is, the eventual unmounting and re-mounting a new stone will require more bench time.

I’d be a little hesitant if you are saving for a forever stone, the bench cost for the temp stone could eat into your savings plan!

Oh that I’m not sure. They’re more expensive than my old jeweler but still not prohibitively expensive IMO. I’ll shoot them an email though cause I just assumed it would cost under $100.

What is the budget you want to spend? It might work out better if you say I want to spend no more than x or y if you are open to anything (so name other colours you could live with, not just yellow) or start another Post that says help find me a Coloured stone, and everyone just finds you a heap of options that fit into your setting, that are on or around your budget - that way you end up with something pretty and you can wear the ring.

For a lab stone I’d like to go under $100. For a natural stone I’d like to keep it under $500 assuming I could use it for something else later.

Ok I would also be in camp leave it alone, or if possible send it back as it is very difficult to find a specific type of stone with a dream colour that is a xxx mm round on a budget. And thus when you go to buy that daimond you will have already curtailed your options. You may find your dream stone only to realize it is completely incompatible with your existing setting.

Plus if you let someone set a coloured stone in it now then (provided the setting will accomodate the deeper cut sapphire) then the bench may cut a seat in the setting and notch the prongs to accomodate the sapphire. And later there may be further alterations to build the setting back up to accomodate the daimond. I am not a jeweler and my advice could be off base but please have a chat to your jeweler before picking this route. And genuinely shop for a 7.6 mm yellow daimond to see how much it would cost and if you can get exactly what you want at this daimeter.

Afterwards even if I was resolved on this route I would want my jewler to tell me how deep my sapphire could be and still fit. And then I would enrich my options by allowing a much more general set of stones, it is temporary anyway so it is a good chance to explore your interests

http://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/1718/Gem+2054-+Blue+Zircon

I’m actually buying it for the wedding band. It was just cheaper to buy a preowned set someone had and now I get a setting! Seemed like a good deal. I priced out some diamonds. Light yellow would be my preference but I’m okay with going in a lower color range ( M and under) too. I expect to spend about $5500 on the diamond.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphires tend to be cut deeper than diamonds so the proportions might not match up. My vote is to get a natural stone you like and will keep in rotation (or could pass along to a friend or relative). I never had an engagement ring but now I have several colored stone rings that I rotate through that role. It’s nice to have something less expensive for travel or more sporty occasions. I was shocked at how quickly the setting costs add up. You might rather just start over when you get your dream stone.

Congratulations to you and your fiancé!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than yellows what colours do you like? With synthetic or lab made coloured stones sometimes it's not about the cost of the material, it's inexpensive - you pay a lot more dollars for some precision cutters to cut the material, paying for their time and effort.

You can get generic man made stones and treated sapphires that are not expensive on places like Etsy and Ebay and a decent natural stone (possibly not in a yellow) well in your budget, which we should be able to help you find as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with the group that thinks it's better to not get another stone because
1. More money saved on the stone and to set the stone
2. That size is quite large for a sapphire, plus rounds aren't that common
3. After the yellow diamond, you are left with another setting-less stone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything that is 7.50 mms ie a stock standard round size is going to fit into that setting.

Synthetic cheap Asian made blue sapphire $6.99 + $5.00 shipping;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Create...hash=item3d07812ebc:m:mTl9ChMm-BF4UbKyoKUSKjQ

Lab created yellow sapphire just over $100;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Create...hash=item3aa57c98bf:m:m42wnQf3S9zS59pS22pxSPA

If you buy something like those you need to make sure with the vendor the treatment on the stones is permanent and they cannot be damaged by things heat, water and chemicals.

These guys probably have a number of 7.50 mm rounds in your price range you just need to do a search;

http://www.multicolour.com/

Jeff usually has and could cut you an inexpensive natural stone in a round that size;

https://www.ebay.com/str/Jeff-Davies-Gemstones

And ebay and etsy both have a number of 7.50 mm stones for sale.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh that I’m not sure. They’re more expensive than my old jeweler but still not prohibitively expensive IMO. I’ll shoot them an email though cause I just assumed it would cost under $100.

For a lab stone I’d like to go under $100. For a natural stone I’d like to keep it under $500 assuming I could use it for something else later.

I’m actually buying it for the wedding band. It was just cheaper to buy a preowned set someone had and now I get a setting! Seemed like a good deal. I priced out some diamonds. Light yellow would be my preference but I’m okay with going in a lower color range ( M and under) too. I expect to spend about $5500 on the diamond.
Depending on what you expect, I don't know if your budget is actually realistic.

Lab stones, I think others are guiding you along the right path.

Natural stone, you're looking at something like 2.5 ct for sapphire, so it'd be heavily treated or relatively poorly cut unless you go with a citrine.

Yellow diamond, I don't know if you could get for $5500 for 2 carats. It usually costs $5500 for 1 ct, and even then naturally colored yellow diamonds around $5500 tend to be oval or cushion, since round costs more. What you might be able to get for $5500, assuming you stick to around 7.5mm to fit the ring set, is either a rustic very included yellow, an irradiated yellow, or a brownish yellow. Is that what you would be happy with for your ring?

Edit: note that just because a colored stone is colored, and cheaper than diamond, doesn't mean that it can be had for THAT cheap, especially if it's a fine colored stone. There's supply and demand and rarity to consider, and while you can find deals, this takes a lot of time invested to find one, and it's usually because the seller needs cash fast and is willing to sell to you for less than market value.

Last edited:

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Just chiming in and adding to what others have said. Is it possible to return the wedding set and how in love with it are you?

I say this because it’s easier to find a stone you love and then set it, rather than find a specific stone that fits the measurement of the setting.

Currently you’ll have to find an inexpensive placeholder stone that fits the dimensions, and then when you want to replace with a diamond, you’ll have to do the same thing. A diamond of that size will also be relatively $$.

I’ve been looking myself, and a 1.5 carat YZ stone is around $3,500. You’re probably looking at a 2+ carat stone to fit that setting. You may be happy with a UV/WX/YZ stone in terms of color, but if you want FLY or FY, the price will increase. You’ll also be limited on shape depending on what your setting can accommodate.

Depending on how long you want to wait to save up for a diamond, i would personally either do a slightly smaller yellow sapphire, chrysoberyl, or even grossular garnet in a simple solitaire setting. Garnet won’t be as durable, but shouldn’t be too much of a problem if you are gentle on your ring.

When you upgrade I’d probably just hunt for a new setting and stone altogether. You can use your old ring as a right hand ring, or as a backup engagement ring if you travel.

Chrysoberyl
https://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-33-carat-bright-yellow-chrysoberyl/

Garnet
https://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-25-carat-golden-yellow-grossular-garnet/

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like @hobbitfancier55 I would recommend looking for a chrysoberyl. Still yellow but a lot less expensive than a yellow sapphire in that size.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also keep in mind setting costs. If you set a temporary gem into the ring replacing it with a new gem isn’t just a matter of a simple swap.
Setting gems requires grooves to fit the gem being cut into the prongs. When you go to change a gem, you usually require new prongs / prong work as the next gem won’t be the exact shape and size. This can cost a few hundred dollars.
So buying even a cheap gem to just set temporarily will eat into your diamond budget.
I’d buy a ready made pre loved ring to tide you over and put the ring setting aside until you have the diamond.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If the setting came for free and you basically have nothing invested in it, then I can see how it makes sense just to set something fun in there. Once you have the setting and have checked with your jeweler about the depth of the stone it can accomodate, I would post a budget and see what people can find. You'll get more options if you free up the range of colours and types of stones.

I can see how you could find a yellow daimond for 5500 with that diameter

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/201ct-yellow-i1-round-diamond-r8329

But I would be expecting it to have some brown, as 5.5 k is not a expansive budget for a 2 ct coloured daimond. You will have to compromise somewhere to swing that budget.

For me this would become a non trivial purchase though, and I would really want the freedom to buy the one I liked. This is especially true when I am driven to a compromise, as I would generally prefer a nicer coloured stone which is smaller (I would personally rather a smaller yellow daimond than a larger brown one. Ofcourse if you love brown coloured stones then this will be completely irrelevant).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results