shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I be looking for in the comment section

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Captain Ahab

Rough_Rock
Recently I saw a diamond with the following comment in the comment section, "Comments Pinpoints, internal graining and surface graining are not shown". Should I be concerned by this in particular and is there other things I should pay special attention to in the comment section

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Again, if the cloud is so faint as to be too small to draw or so faint that dotting an outline around it would be artistic overkill, I'd prefer that to one where a cloud is shown via the dotted outline technique. Sometimes the "cloud(s) not shown" is(are) large or the entire stone is cloudy. This is a true dilemma and each diamond must be examined. That's one more reason a Cert does not replace looking at the actual stone.Comments are taken by the trade as negatives because they are not readily interpreted in a positive way until one examines the diamond. Then it is a matter of negotiation. Negotiation is the way all diamonds are bought unless they are D-FL and fine cut. Every other grade combination requires fine tuning or you are not a dealer. It is not a matter of pride, culture or attitude, but simply that is how business is conducted in diamonds between diamond dealers. Without negotiation you become a target customer and will quickly spend your money and go home with less than you should have been able to buy.Diamond profits are very slim between experts. Knowing the methods of correct and polite negotiation are key to working the "comments" section of grading reports.
The real profits lie in having enough non-negotiating customers that you can make a living.
smile.gif
------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks oldminer!I thought so!
smile.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I wouldn't worry about the pinpoints at all, but you may want to have the stne looked at for stress.You could have internal strain which would be a result of structural irregularities. These are usually brought about by inclusions in the stone.Good luck on your purchase.------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Oldminer,What has your experience been with the stones where it is noted: clouds not shown?

Captain Ahab

Rough_Rock
I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my question. It is nice to know people are out there just trying to help others out.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I believe the comments section is to tell you about inclusions that are not plotted on the grading report diagram. There are probably some that would concern you and some that would not. The clarity grade of the diamond and size of the diamond would make a difference.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Well, you're welcome, but we need an expert. I was going to write more, but I don't want to write incorrect things. I'm sure someone knowledgable will come along.
smile.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main reason pinpoints and graining is not plotted is that many are virtually invisible even under 10x magnification, but if they were to be plotted, they would loom very large and way out of scale in importance in the plot or you would need a microscope to see the plot markings.Rather than make the diamond look poor because of a drawing, the comments are used to indicate that extremely tiny, yet possibly numerous inclusions are in the stone that cannot be realistically drawn due to both the limitations of the computerized drawing programs being employed and the limitations of the human eye to see correctly drawn microscopic inclusions.I hope that makes sense to you. Comments are seen to be negative, but actually there is a very positive twist to having inclusions so small one cannot draw them. ------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I guess if there would be something really negative it should be mentioned in the Comments.Hope the experts will help us with this question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results