shape
carat
color
clarity

What Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

csriram45

Rough_Rock
Here is the scenario, My wife and I both liked a diamond we found at JA site. However, she does not like any setting. I think the real problem is she is not sure about setting without actually seeing it.

I am not sure if I should just get the diamond and have it set locally. However, i dont know if it will cost more to set it locally because diamond was not purchased from the store. I also dont think buying the setting locally would be a good deal.

I am sure many of you have been in the same situation. How do I tackle this? Get a picture of a setting she likes and then have JA or WF custom order it?

Sam

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sam. There is nothing wrong with buying a setting locally if it''s the one. some people actually prefer to do it b/c if they every need work done it''s much easier to take it somewhere local rather than having to ship it off somewhere. I do find that many times it is easier to purchase the stone and setting at the same place though b/c some jeweler''s don''t like to set stones that weren''t purchased from them. Has she gone to a local store and tried on settings to see what she likes? Many times if she finds a setting locally you can find it somewhere online for a better price.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i found the local settings were ridiculously expensive for what you got. some will set the diamond and some won''t. the prices vary, but you can expect to pay a pretty penny to have a jeweler take complete responsibility (which is important!) for the diamond during setting. for those reasons alone, i think it is better to get the diamond and setting at the same place. i took my chances picking an ering online but i couldn''t be happier with it. you just need to do what you are most comfortable with.
best of luck!

csriram45

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses. My wife did look locally and liked something but now after I showed your responses she is ready to chose some online. However, what happens if she does not like the setting she chose? Can she return to get a new setting how does it work?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2007 5:55:06 PM
Author: csriram45
Thanks for your responses. My wife did look locally and liked something but now after I showed your responses she is ready to chose some online. However, what happens if she does not like the setting she chose? Can she return to get a new setting how does it work?
i would contact any of the vendors that have settings that interest you and find out specifically what they would do in each instance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results