shape
carat
color
clarity

What RB specs for max $15000 budget?

Sakin

Rough_Rock
I have been researching options over the past couple of months for a 2.00 rb. A handful of visits to your local jewelers and lately reading the Pricescope forums. I have a few questions I hope the community could help me with.

1. What specs can I expect in the $13,000-$14,000 range? I feel like I am stuck in the I range?
2. Is it worth spending extra for a to get a GH color?
3. My notes are included below from a number of posts on this forum.. I am missing the cutlet. Could any of these budge a bit to help with the price?
4. How common is it for people to buy diamonds online vs a local jeweler? Is there a significant price savings associated with either or? A risk with either or?

Price:
* $10,000-15,500 (prefer to stay in the 13,000-14000 range)
Shape:
* Round
Carat
* 1.85 - 2.1 (prefer 2.0)
Color
* GH > I
Clarity
* SI2 - VS1
* Eye-clean SI1 or SI2
Cut:
* Ideal
* Depth - 60%-62.4%
* Table - 54-57%
* Crown - 34-35 deg.
* Pavilion - 40.6-51 deg.
* Cutlet - ?
* Symmetry - Ideal - Very Good
* Polish - Ideal - Very Good
* Fluorescence - None
* Link: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
Lab:
* GIA or AGS

Website reviewed:
* https://www.jamesallen.com/
* http://www.whiteflash.com/

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sakin,

Because I am in the trade I can't comment on specific diamonds or dealers.

Here is some general advice that you can keep in mind.

1. What specs can I expect in the $13,000-$14,000 range? I feel like I am stuck in the I range?

The amount you spend will not only have to do with color, clarity, and carat weight, but the type of cut you are going for. When a diamond cutter chooses how to fashion a round brilliant they try to balance the best clarity, the most carat weight and the best cut for light performance. There are times when a .9 carat diamond, due to light performance, will look larger and brighter than the same color and clarity 1 carat diamond. The may both have been cut from rough that cost the same amount, and their pricing might reflect the cost of the rough NOT the cost of the finished diamond. In this scenario, the cutter (or his company) spent the same amount on the rough. So both the .9 ct. and the 1 ct. diamond might cost the same - but the .9 ct. diamond might APPEAR to be bigger. All of these factors are to be considered when deciding what is a 'fair' price.

This is the balancing act you will have to play. If you MUST have a 2 ct. diamond come hell or high water (even when a 1.9 that is cut well might look bigger and cost less) then you will have to balance your desired color, clarity and cut based on those expectations.

3. My notes are included below from a number of posts on this forum.. I am missing the cutlet. Could any of these budge a bit to help with the price?

Everything is negotiable in diamond cut, carat, color and clarity. The culet (pronounced: Cue-Lit) is a facet that may or may not be present in a round brilliant diamond, this is the bottom "pointy" part of the diamond. When the Pavilion angles are cut to match the culet will be reported as "none" or "pointed" on a grading report. If the pavilion facets do not meet at a point, you may have a rough or polished culet listed on the report - (diamonds with a culet are considered a 58 facet round diamond rather than a 57 facet round diamond associated with a "pointed" or "none" report).

4. How common is it for people to buy diamonds online vs a local jeweler? Is there a significant price savings associated with either or? A risk with either or?

While there are many opinions about the pros and cons of a brick and mortar store vs. an internet vendor, the most common concerns have to do with pricing, upgrade policies, selection, customer service and convenience. You will need to decide which of these factors matters most in your diamond selection.

I hope that helps some!

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
Is this with a setting or without a setting? I'm going to be honest here, a 2.0 carat with an ideal cut in your desired specs is going to be extremely difficult with this budget. I think something like 1.7 with H/G and SI2-VS2 in clarity would be more along your budget with a $2000 buffer for a setting.

Also, factor in the fact that you can't "have it all" when it comes to diamond shopping. You can certainly find cheaper diamonds, but the company will have a limited upgrade policy or be a drop shipper. Are you okay with that? As for would you be okay with an I, only you can answer it. Some people are okay with it, some people are not. How color sensitive are you? Are you going to go back and regret that it's an I? Those are questions that you have to answer yourself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd eliminate SI2 in a stone that size. Finding and eye clean one that doesn't affect the brilliance of the stone won't be easy online. Plus, I think it is good to get the best quality possible for an engagement ring. The pavilion angle needs to be 40.6-40.9 and sometimes can be 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34.

Online, absolutely. No jeweler has the selection you can find online, and prices are more competitive.

I'll post a few for you:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3496145.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.76-ascendancy_heart_arrows-EX-GIA-I-SI1-diamond-stock-15042-cert-7206326378

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.01-platinum_select_round-I-GIA-I-SI1-diamond-stock-14213-cert-2188615720

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
TIL: The culet (pronounced: Cue-Lit)

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I have been saying cull-et.

Lore

Rough_Rock
iwantsparkle|1484069417|4114025 said:

This. :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autocorrect always changes "culet" to "cutlet" for me and the next thing I know I'm off to a deli for a chicken cutlet on a roll with lettuce tomato and mayo! :doh:

Besides diamond specs and budget, how likely are you to upgrade this diamond? Please take a look at each vendor's T&C with regard to upgrades and take that into consideration as well.

Sakin

Rough_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1484023545|4113934 said:
Sakin,

The amount you spend will not only have to do with color, clarity, and carat weight, but the type of cut you are going for. When a diamond cutter chooses how to fashion a round brilliant they try to balance the best clarity, the most carat weight and the best cut for light performance. There are times when a .9 carat diamond, due to light performance, will look larger and brighter than the same color and clarity 1 carat diamond. The may both have been cut from rough that cost the same amount, and their pricing might reflect the cost of the rough NOT the cost of the finished diamond. In this scenario, the cutter (or his company) spent the same amount on the rough. So both the .9 ct. and the 1 ct. diamond might cost the same - but the .9 ct. diamond might APPEAR to be bigger. All of these factors are to be considered when deciding what is a 'fair' price.

This is the balancing act you will have to play. If you MUST have a 2 ct. diamond come hell or high water (even when a 1.9 that is cut well might look bigger and cost less) then you will have to balance your desired color, clarity and cut based on those expectations.

Everything is negotiable in diamond cut, carat, color and clarity. The culet (pronounced: Cue-Lit) is a facet that may or may not be present in a round brilliant diamond, this is the bottom "pointy" part of the diamond. When the Pavilion angles are cut to match the culet will be reported as "none" or "pointed" on a grading report. If the pavilion facets do not meet at a point, you may have a rough or polished culet listed on the report - (diamonds with a culet are considered a 58 facet round diamond rather than a 57 facet round diamond associated with a "pointed" or "none" report).

While there are many opinions about the pros and cons of a brick and mortar store vs. an internet vendor, the most common concerns have to do with pricing, upgrade policies, selection, customer service and convenience. You will need to decide which of these factors matters most in your diamond selection.

I hope that helps some!

Thank you for the detailed answers to question. I am still learning about the trade. We have talked about the option of upgrading the diamond at a later time and that seems out of the picture. What we purchase is going to be the final product. The more I look around today, I realize that 2 ct. is going to be a stretch. 1.85 ct. range is probably more realistic for us. Could take a small loan out to make up the difference.

Sakin

Rough_Rock
Strawberry129|1484062962|4114009 said:
Is this with a setting or without a setting? I'm going to be honest here, a 2.0 carat with an ideal cut in your desired specs is going to be extremely difficult with this budget. I think something like 1.7 with H/G and SI2-VS2 in clarity would be more along your budget with a $2000 buffer for a setting.

Also, factor in the fact that you can't "have it all" when it comes to diamond shopping. You can certainly find cheaper diamonds, but the company will have a limited upgrade policy or be a drop shipper. Are you okay with that? As for would you be okay with an I, only you can answer it. Some people are okay with it, some people are not. How color sensitive are you? Are you going to go back and regret that it's an I? Those are questions that you have to answer yourself.

You have a valid point. I would splurge a bit more to keep it in the 1.8-1.9 range depending on the quality of the ring. We will not be upgrading. Can you explain what a drop shipper is? As an FYI, we have been working with a jeweler in a large city. We have seen a few diamonds in the I range that were too yellow and it we have decided to pay more for the G-H.

Sakin

Rough_Rock
Lore|1484082465|4114107 said:

I also spelled it wrong :)

Sakin

Rough_Rock
Lore|1484082465|4114107 said:

I also spelled it wrong.

Sakin

Rough_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1484023545|4113934 said:
Sakin,

I hope that helps some!

Thank you for the detailed replies to my questions. I am realizing 2.0 ct is out of our price range and we will need to fall more into the 1.75-1.9 range. I just realized I spelled culet incorrect. The diamond we purchase will the be one and we do not have plans for upgrading.

Sakin

Rough_Rock
I just realized I spelled culet incorrect. :clap:

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
Sakin|1484103760|4114236 said:

You have a valid point. I would splurge a bit more to keep it in the 1.8-1.9 range depending on the quality of the ring. We will not be upgrading. Can you explain what a drop shipper is? As an FYI, we have been working with a jeweler in a large city. We have seen a few diamonds in the I range that were too yellow and it we have decided to pay more for the G-H.

Hi, this link ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-price-bluenile-whiteflash.133842/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-price-bluenile-whiteflash.133842/[/URL]) can explain what a drop shipper is better than I can.

Since you're not concerned with upgrade policy, it definitely widens your options.

I know this isn't a financial blog, but instead of taking out a small loan...why not just save a bit longer to afford a luxury item? There's no need to go into debt when you can just save longer. You guys are both obviously committed, is there a deadline? Just my 2cents.

Sakin

Rough_Rock
Strawberry129|1484144141|4114324 said:
Sakin|1484103760|4114236 said:

Hi, this link ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-price-bluenile-whiteflash.133842/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-price-bluenile-whiteflash.133842/[/URL]) can explain what a drop shipper is better than I can.

Since you're not concerned with upgrade policy, it definitely widens your options.

I know this isn't a financial blog, but instead of taking out a small loan...why not just save a bit longer to afford a luxury item? There's no need to go into debt when you can just save longer. You guys are both obviously committed, is there a deadline? Just my 2cents.

First apologies for the multiple posts last night. The forum was not processing my posts. It looks like there was a posting lag. We could save a little longer. I guess it is the financial security part in which I would like to have a buffer incase things get rough.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

syrin

Rough_Rock
Here is what I found just doing a quick search with the proportions. It is also what they call a signature ideal diamond cut. Not an expert in diamonds like others here but have been stalking this forum and others and doing tons of research online for the past 4 months and saved a bunch of money purchasing online however maybe there will be an issue with the diamond that I do not see that someone whos been around a while will notice. But heres what I found in your upper price range. Smaller then what you wanted.

$15,350 Total but End total is $15,019 after discounts
New members who sign up get $100 off 1st order and 1.5% off for wire transfers

30 day money back, no restocking fee, they inspect the Diamond before they ship.

1.764ct
Color H
Clarity VS2
Ideal Cut, polish & symmetry and is also a hearts and arrow diamond
Table 55.5%
Crown 34.5
Pavilion 40.7
Depth 61.9
No cutlet
No florescence
Light performance gets a ideal grade of 0
Proportion factors 0
Finish 0

The hca says it is a 1.1
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.76-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917061

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results