shape
carat
color
clarity

What questions do I ask when buying an eternity band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
OK..so now that I have quotes coming in..what questions (that I''m probably forgetting) are important when buying an eternity ring? I just want to make sure I''m covered when I start calling them today.

sorry for all of the questions. I''m having lots of senior moments since giving birth lol.
33.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
bump...anyone?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a very broad question and the answer(s) depends on a lot of things - primarily, the style of the setting (shared-prong, pave, micropave, bead-set, bezel-set... you get the picture) and the metal type (then you may want to ask what alloy is being used, but that sort of depends on how deeply you want to get in to it).

Are you asking because you''re getting very different quotes for essentially the same piece from these different vendors?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
oh yes sorry for the broad question
21.gif

what I have decided on is a U-Prong eternity band in white gold. I''m asking because since all of this is being done over the phone, I want to be specific as possible. I''ve received 4 diff. quotes so far and 2 of them are as far apart as almost $2,000. I''m wondering is it because of the ''cut" of the diamond. Are diamonds that small (10 pointers) able to be cut precisely...I guess like Ideal cut? The last time I studied about diamonds was 4 yrs ago when I got my new E-ring stone..since then all that I learned just disappeared. I''m just worried I won''t get good stones. I guess I''m nervous again. I wanted to deal with the company that made my e-ring but initially they misquoted me and now the consultant isn''t responding to my communication. He was supposed to get back to me today with a new quote but his day is over and I never heard from him. I guess I have my answer from his company (to go elsewhere).

Anyway..I just want to get a beautiful eternity ring and need all the help I could get
35.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are indeed really well cut .10 diamonds, and other not so much.
If you''re dealing with a PS vendor, I have a feeling you''ll be getting really well cut ones.
I suspect the difference in price have to do with other factors.....

I will say that quoting an eternity ring is a job in itself- it requires so much calculation- increasing the odds of an error.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 6:44:28 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
There are indeed really well cut .10 diamonds, and other not so much.

If you''re dealing with a PS vendor, I have a feeling you''ll be getting really well cut ones.

I suspect the difference in price have to do with other factors.....

I will say that quoting an eternity ring is a job in itself- it requires so much calculation- increasing the odds of an error.

David, how could I be certain I will be getting really well cut stones? Can you recommend Questions to ask to make sure?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Although that sounds like a really good question, I'd say that the best way to ensure a great quality is to choose the vendor carefully.
Any question that you could ask about the cut could easily be answered deceptively, if you were unfortunate and chose a vendor that was not honestly representing what they were selling.

The business of making eternity rings is rather specialized.
As a tradesperson I can't recommend any specific seller- but I've seen some really nice pieces from some of the PS vendors.

Grading the cut of .10ct diamonds is really different than grading the cut of even .50ct diamonds.
Of course all the same principles apply- but the selection is most likely going to be done by eye, as opposed to using ASET, IS an HCA on each stone.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:28:58 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Although that sounds like a really good question, I''d say that the best way to ensure a great quality is to choose the vendor carefully.

Any question that you could ask about the cut could easily be answered deceptively, if you were unfortunate and chose a vendor that was not honestly representing what they were selling.

The business of making eternity rings is rather specialized.

As a tradesperson I can''t recommend any specific seller- but I''ve seen some really nice pieces from some of the PS vendors.

Grading the cut of .10ct diamonds is really different than grading the cut of even .50ct diamonds.

Of course all the same principles apply- but the selection is most likely going to be done by eye, as opposed to using ASET, IS an HCA on each stone.

Thanks so much
35.gif
You have been very helpful!

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
This is for atroop711 - I wondered how your eternity ring shopping experience is going. I have also been shopping and seemed to like the same thing you did and wondered what size stones you were considering and if you had made any decisions. I learned so much just reading your posts.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:42:12 PM
Author: shelleydog
This is for atroop711 - I wondered how your eternity ring shopping experience is going. I have also been shopping and seemed to like the same thing you did and wondered what size stones you were considering and if you had made any decisions. I learned so much just reading your posts.

Hey Shelley...well my ring should be done this week (tuesday). I went with the U-Prong setting and the stones are 10 pointers each (I think I''m getting 22 stones ....sz 8). I ordered a half size up since I want to wear on both right and left hand. I will post pics Tueday night (that''s when they said I would have them).
36.gif

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
I love the u-prong also! It shows so much more of the ring. Where did you end up ordering it from?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really excited for you Atroop!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 9:50:14 PM
I love the u-prong also! It shows so much more of the ring. Where did you end up ordering it from?

I went back to Whiteflash. They are the ones that made my e-ring. I can''t wait to get the pics. They said it''s scheduled to ship on Tuesday evening so I should get pics that afternoon. Woo-hoo.
36.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 4:28:10 AM
Author: Lorelei
I am really excited for you Atroop!

Thanks Lorelei. I went back and forth (deciding should I, shouldn''t I...you know with the economy and all) but I just bit the bullet and called up WF and ordered the ring. For a moment of insanity
33.gif
I was actually thinking of scrapping the idea
39.gif
but then I came to my senses
36.gif

Hello Lover

Rough_Rock
Ask how they make it. That''s something that was important to me. I chose signed pieces for mine because my engagement ring was also die-struck and I felt like that was "safer". Possibly irrational but it has caused me no problems.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 10:01:15 AM
Author: Hello Lover
Ask how they make it. That''s something that was important to me. I chose signed pieces for mine because my engagement ring was also die-struck and I felt like that was ''safer''. Possibly irrational but it has caused me no problems.

thanks! I already ordered the ring and am getting ACA stones from WF in my uternity ring. I can''t wait to get it.

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
I also ordered a u-prong from Whiteflash and the experience has been great. I have been working with Jamie and the communication has been wonderful. I don''t know yet when I will receive mine. I can''t wait to see yours though. Were you thrilled with the CADs?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 3:52:26 PM
I also ordered a u-prong from Whiteflash and the experience has been great. I have been working with Jamie and the communication has been wonderful. I don''t know yet when I will receive mine. I can''t wait to see yours though. Were you thrilled with the CADs?

Hi Shelley

I''m excited that you ordered your ring. What did you end up getting (sz stones)? I can''t wait to see your pics too!
36.gif

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
20 pointers. I will be wearing this alone on my right hand so I was hoping for something a little substantial. I have an ACA 1.08 carat I SI1 in a pendant that I LOVE so I really wanted to go with the ACA stones in my ring as well.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:45:54 PM
20 pointers. I will be wearing this alone on my right hand so I was hoping for something a little substantial. I have an ACA 1.08 carat I SI1 in a pendant that I LOVE so I really wanted to go with the ACA stones in my ring as well.

Oooooo 20 pointers sounds FABULOUS!!!! I can''t wait to see pics. I totally agree that if it''s going to be worn alone, you want it to be substantial. I''m wearing my ring together with my e-ring and when I tried on stones that were larger than 12 pointers, they overpowered my e-ring..it was too much on my short chubby fingers. Yes I agree with you on the ACA stones. The stones down the shank of my e-ring are ACA so I knew how great they are. Oh I''m excited for both of us!
36.gif

shelleydog

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait to see your pictures. I''m sure it''s gorgeous.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 10:34:31 AM
I can''t wait to see your pictures. I''m sure it''s gorgeous.

Shelley...pics are on..I posted them on SMTR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results