shape
carat
color
clarity

What quality should my side stones be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

detta

Rough_Rock
Okay, I have purchased the diamond, thanks to everyone''s advice. Emerald cut, 2.13 G/VS1. I would like two side emerald cut stones of similar color and clarity, around .7 each. Should I go back to "diamonds on the web", who by the way have been a pleasure to deal with, or look for non-GIA stones? Also, where would anyone recommend that I look for two .7 non-GIA emerald cuts? Thanks in advance for any advice! Have a good weekend all.
loopy.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, I'd stick to the same high color and clarity (and L/W ratio) for the sides. It seems to me that emeralds reveal their color and clarity more than more other cuts.

I'd also go back to the same vendor if they deserve your repeat business. Staying with a GIA or AGS would sure bring me peace or mind. Good luck!

R/A

Balustroid

Rough_Rock
Hi detta
I agree with Rank Amateur. When it comes to diamonds, why should you take any risks?
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good match for ever will be a good match! So, color and clarity of sides should match the middle. If their clarity is better - all for the better! But I would not like to see diferences in color, at least as far as I am concerned. To me, it would be as if someone would tell me all the time that my center stone is off color!
8.gif

Some people seek to have all three emeralds of the same proportions, well, this is a matter or taste alone. I like them all, except for those cases when the sides are just a little different: then I get the impression that the setter did not do his homework. But hey, the 'little' depends on each person's sight... So, this is all about taste - mine that is. Of course, the ring should be all about YOUR taste.

One thing I know: when a jeweler buys pairs will use the well matched pairs for side stones and the not-so-well matched pairs for earings, with some argument akin to that the two stones will 'have a head between'. Hm... Bottom line: the cut of the two side stones should be as simmilar as possible and they should look nearly IDENTICAL to the eye. If you buy loose the sides, make sure they were not ment for earings!

Persnally, I love the ones in the pic! They are available... (not from me)
at israel-diamonds.com. They are not certified, but the source is good enough to skip that and may certify them upon request for you.
1.gif

14.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again!

I could not rest before showing you another kind of elegant sides for an emerald. I do not know how common they are or if you have seen any, so I thought I'd make sure! aside an emerald cut, these lead nicely from the narrow shank to the center stone and give 'depth' to the center... The ones below are less than 0.7 each, but given that this cut is somewhat shallower, they are larger than emeral cuts at the same weight. If you like what you see, it should not be too hard to find this shape in the size and grade you need. These in particular come from the same source (israel-diamonds.com).
1.gif

15.JPG

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Very nice pics AnA! I bought several things from israel-diamonds.com... They are really nice.

As for quality, stick with G/H VS 1/2 stones with similar table and L/W ratio's. At 0.70 a GIA report should be very easy to get.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to dissent here. I think a contrast may make a more interesting ring - say, emeralds w/ a yellow hue to poop out the center stone. Clarity needs to be good though.

Also, I think emerald cuts look good w/ colored stones on either side.

Good luck & be creative!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Dear fire & ice, do you mean something like a L color side stone or a fancy light/fancy yellow diamond?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hy! Yes, creativity is great! Look below for what some yellow sides can do. And I've seen pink diamond and pink sapphire sides doing just as great a job. These are from diamondsbulauren.com. For pink and blue diamond sides, take a look at jewelryexpert.com. These are not all that expensive as long as you are willing to keep them below the 0.3ct mark (each) and do not ask for VVS clarity. For example, one fancy intense pink baguette of 0.17ct, VVS1 comes at about 1300 to 1500. A pair will be more than twice, but these are so uncomon that I cannot really name a price.

As for puting some near-white sides near a G... hm... near-white are always going to shout 'lesser quality' for some people. Not that I do not like my fancy light champagne stone which I got for a song! But its tint stays better in its 22K bezel... Well, just a penny worth of a thought.

If I would not be dealing with these things all day, I would try to see a combination of diamond color grades before deciding. If you like, say, some K color near G, well, than you will have the only such ring.
9.gif

12.GIF

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/7/2003 2:24:31 PM Giangi wrote:

Do you mean something like a L color side stone or a fancy light/fancy yellow diamond?
----------------

One way to try it out: take a look at a set of master stones! Well, not only at the picture below, maybe someone can get a better one? I guess a G near a L would look like the first two 'items' in the pic... Do you like?

diacolor.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/7/2003 2:25:51 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

There goes Fire & Ice again, causing trouble.

----------------

Even a diamond won't keep me silent!

I'm not in tune enough to know when the contrast w/ color will be evident. But even subtly, it can be quite interesting. In my search I tried on an OEC G/H flanked by two M's - quite a nice effect - and looked "rich".

Good luck & explore w/ your eyes.

edited b/c I am confusing my alphabet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results