shape
carat
color
clarity

what quality does this tanzanite have appx?

ineedbout3fitty

Rough_Rock
2013-01-18_11-02-29_19_1.jpg
2013-01-18_11-08-35_77.jpg

we think we paid a fraction of the price for this tanzanite. going to have it appraised, but would like other feedback. 4 ct plus
thanks for any advice/help

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
I don't know about the value, but I can say this: sounds like you got a good deal and I'm glad you are feeling happy about that and also, my favorite design feature in this ring is the bezel set round on the sides of the center stone. So pretty!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome to the Board!

Congratulations on your find!

Often, new members show up like this with something they have either inherited or recently purchased and are hoping to obtain a ballpark value from this group. It is almost always a disappointment for the newcomer to hear the responses, as there is really no way someone can identify and value something from a photo. As a matter of fact, right now there are at least three open threads where others are trying to determine the identify - and therefore value - of stones that have come into their possession. Unfortunately, we often answer in a flip, terse manner. We don't mean to, honestly we don't, its just that requests come in like this all the time.

So in case you don't get as many responses as you thought you would, this is probably why. Folks here are pretty burned out from answering these questions. That said, I'll tell you some things. We cannot know from a photo whether that is tanzanite, sapphire, glass, synthetic, etc. And unless you had it tested with proper equipment, by an objective third party trained professional, either can you. Did the ring come with any kind of lab report from one of the labs known for colored stone work, like AGL, GIA in the US (there are other good ones in Asia and in Europe but I won't bother listing them unless you are located in one of those areas)? That aside, let's assume for a moment that it is Tanzanite. What are the weights of the individual stones? Are the stones well cut? How clean are they? Are there eye visible inclusions (probably not, but you never know)? If the color is accurate, it looks to have good color - however it appears to be on the dark side. Is it the premium color? No, but its still good. So your next bet is to go see what comparable stones go for. You will have to look at comparable stones - i.e., good but not super fine color, stones of the same carat weight, etc - and see what they are selling for elsewhere. Keep in mind that a second hand stone/piece of jewelry will not command the price of new (there are some exceptions). Once you've found comps for the tanzis, you can turn to the setting. Others here can likely tell you about the setting and whether it is a hallmarked special mount (unlikely) or whether its a mass produced mount easily accessible. What is the material, what is the carat weight and clarity of any diamonds? When you've determined that, you can again look around for comparables on the used market. That should give you some order of magnitude for what you are likely to be able to sell it for, should you decide to do so.

If you know you will keep it, then it really doesn't matter "what its worth," other than for insurance purposes, and it sounds like you are already planning on taking care of that by having it appraised. Good luck and enjoy your ring!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty ring and since you're having it appraised I'd leave it to him/her to give you an indication of value. Just so that you're aware there are two sorts of values i.e. what is this ring actually worth now if I were to sell it (which is normally 50% of the normal buying price unfortunately) and what is the value if I lost it and wanted to get another? That value will typically be slightly higher than its current worth.

I don't know how much you know about Tanzanites but please make sure you don't clean this in a sonic cleaner or wear it when washing up or doing gardening etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the sizes of each individual tanzanite? Metal type for the setting? It's good that you are having a professional evaluate it to make sure that those are truly tanzanite, diamond melees and metal type. Colour isn't top colour (a bit dark) but is still attractive overall. It is too dark to make out if there are any clarity issues (feathers or other type of inclusions and their location). In terms of pricing, the secondhand market can be as low as 50% less than brand new.

Do note that this is not an everyday ring and even as a right hand ring, it requires care and caution. Tanzanite will not hold up under ultrasonic or steamers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results