shape
carat
color
clarity

What qualifies a cushion for GOG lifetime policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have been looking through the listed cushions on GOGs website........I notice some of them have the lifetime guarantee and others do not. Does anyone know why? Should I only consider stones that qualify for it?
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 10:53:57 AM
Author:rainierinspring
I have been looking through the listed cushions on GOGs website........I notice some of them have the lifetime guarantee and others do not. Does anyone know why? Should I only consider stones that qualify for it?
20.gif
You would need to ask Jon about what qualifies a cushion for this policy, I know he selects with great care and has high standards as to which diamonds he can offer this policy with. As to whether you should consider only upgradable, it depends on you, if you think you might want to upgrade some day then definitely.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was just worried that something might be inferior in the stones that aren''t upgradable. I don''t know that I ever would want to do that.....
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 1:12:19 PM
Author: rainierinspring
I was just worried that something might be inferior in the stones that aren't upgradable. I don't know that I ever would want to do that.....
20.gif
I doubt there would be any problems such as durability issues etc with these diamonds, there could be various reasons why Jon doesn't wish to offer an upgrade policy with some stones - maybe they don't meet his standards for cut quality or beauty as an example, I don't know what his personal criteria is he bases this on. The best thing would be to ask him directly should you see a diamond which doesn't have an upgrade option as to why it doesn't qualify. As to upgrading itself, many customers find it a very useful feature and use it in order to eventually get a larger diamond.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/27/2009 10:53:57 AM
Author:rainierinspring
20.gif

Hi raini,

When a diamond doesn't have lifetime policies it can be for a number of reasons.

Off the cuff ...

a. It just arrived, we published it without my personal inspection of its optics (may be perfectly fine).
b. It fails one of our 29 point exams that would qualify it as a diamond I would put my signature on which includes but not limited to issues of transparency, structural durability, graining and/or fluorescence that impacts transparency, etc.
c. I did inspect it and while its structural durability and facet structure is fine, fails to meet our optical standards.

etc. ...

On individual diamonds you'll need to contact us directly and we'll let you know the exact reason why for any given diamond.

Kind regards,

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino, I'm a little confused.

Apparently if you determine a diamond does not qualify for the lifetime policy that means you don't want back to sell it a second time.
So, why even carry it to begin with?

And why not just accept everything back?
The price was lower to begin with anyway, so you don't have as much in it.

To put it differently, if you can sell it at an acceptable profit once, why not sell it at an acceptable profit twice?
And if it does not meet your standards why even carry it the first time?

Is it that you are serving two different markets? The best-cut market and the largest-stone for the budget market?
Or is it that choice goods move faster?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Moh!

Date: 3/27/2009 9:15:45 PM
Author: Moh 10
Rhino, I''m a little confused.

Apparently if you determine a diamond does not qualify for the lifetime policy that means you don''t want back to sell it a second time.
So, why even carry it to begin with?
Good question. Answer: There is a good segment of the market who don''t care for lifetime policies nor the extent of the services we provide up front. If they are content with that I am content to sell them that. I however would not want such diamonds in my signature line as I would only *stock* what I personally give a two thumbs up to. Remember ... 99% of the diamonds you see on the Internet are not stocked by the distributor offering them for sale.

And why not just accept everything back?
The price was lower to begin with anyway, so you don''t have as much in it.
I will not stock what I would not purchase. My thinking is why lose business to brokers when folks are content with that level of service and policies for that price? When we strip away the store, the staff, the lab, the time, etc. competing is no problem and I can also offer some valuable pieces of information the brokers can''t.

To put it differently, if you can sell it at an acceptable profit once, why not sell it at an acceptable profit twice?
I understand what you''re asking Moh. The answer is simply because the grand majority of the cheaper diamonds come at that price for good gemological reasons. Reasons I would not personally invest in with my own capital and why should I when I can list them "virtually" and not invest a dime in stock or inventory? I will always purchase and back what I know to be uncompromised quality at great value.

And if it does not meet your standards why even carry it the first time?

Is it that you are serving two different markets? The best-cut market and the largest-stone for the budget market?
Or is it that choice goods move faster?
Your first statement is right on. The purpose would be to serve the two different markets. I''ve excluded myself from the latter for a long time. You will note my name does not show up in the "virtual searches" for brokered diamonds. As the economy gets tougher and people become more interested in the cheapest possible diamond for the price, it is easy enough for me to do that too except we''ll be able to demonstrate (should a client choose to cover expenses to have it shipped to our lab) why it costs the price that it does. Thanks for the questions.

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results