shape
carat
color
clarity

What purchase do you most regret?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Around fifteen years ago I bought a steel and 18K gold Rolex.
I don't know what I was thinking as I rarely wear it.

Unlike diamonds it offers me no inherent pleasure besides being a nice example of engineering since there are no batteries and it winds itself when you move your wrist.
A $15 Casio keeps better time.

I think back then it was a status symbol to me.
Live and learn.
Not only do people vary; I vary. :lol:

Imagine if I'd bought an Argyle Pink Diamond back then for the same price, or some apple stock. :-o

What purchase, large or small, do you most regret?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first engagement ring we upgraded and the upgraded the setting. We bought it BPS... before pricescope....

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Large - none yet. I'm more likely to not buy something and regret it.

Small - this stupid VS bra. It's terrible. It's painful and cost a small fortune. Stupid thing. I keep it in my drawer and have for the past 7ish years. You know, just in case it suddenly becomes comfortable. I'm not throwing away a fricking $80 bra! It mocks me from the drawer sometimes.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Addy|1315698376|3014704 said:

Small - this stupid VS bra. It's terrible. It's painful and cost a small fortune. Stupid thing. I keep it in my drawer and have for the past 7ish years. You know, just in case it suddenly becomes comfortable. I'm not throwing away a fricking $80 bra! It mocks me from the drawer sometimes.
Hahaha oh dear... maybe it's time to throw it down the trash chute and forgive yourself already.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our house. It pains me to say that, because I love love LOVE our home.

I'm just not sure owning a home is the right choice for us. It's strange because every morning I wake up and walk into my kitchen and think about how much I love this house. (I never thought I'd live in such a beautiful little place.) But still, I don't know if it was the best decision. We really don't need to own something so large and . . . rooted to one place.

If we could find a place to rent that would allow all of our pets, that probably would have been the better decision for us.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315698876|3014708 said:
Our house. It pains me to say that, because I love love LOVE our home.

I'm just not sure owning a home is the right choice for us. It's strange because every morning I wake up and walk into my kitchen and think about how much I love this house. (I never thought I'd live in such a beautiful little place.) But still, I don't know if it was the best decision. We really don't need to own something so large and . . . rooted to one place.

If we could find a place to rent that would allow all of our pets, that probably would have been the better decision for us.

I would have to agree-we probably shouldn't have bought our house. I loved it but houses really do root you someplace! We ended up selling it a year and a half after we bought it when my husband got a great job offer several states away. Luckily his company paid our closing costs and we sold it for a smidge more than we paid for it, so we ended up breaking even.

The pet issue is a PITA when renting, though. I only have 3 cats and everyone I called about apartments acted like that was insane! Why is having 3 cats that much crazier than having 2 cats?! It's only one more! :cheeky:

ETA I'm so tempted to buy again but I'm going to make us rent for at least another year...still not sure we'll be settled here for good so I'd rather just rent, even if it costs a little more than a mortgage would.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Live Haven I regret buying my house it is an 100 year old money pit :(sad

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Addy|1315698376|3014704 said:

I thinkI have that same bra, serving the same function! :knockout: It's underwire pokes. Think they'll magically transform if we keep them long enough?

Hmmm. My 3rd car is my biggest big-purchase regret, but only in some ways. It was a salvage car, a 2002 Ford Focus that I bought in... 2006 or '07? and I got it for about $6K, $4k of which was an insurance co check for my totaled Geo Prism. So, $2K out of pocket. It worked great, was a fun car to drive... then it started leaking, the leak was incredibly persistent and unfixable, and then it died. Dead dead dead. The leak had caused all sorts of problems. So I let it sit for 6 months because marinating the interior in the porta-puddle was going to make it all better, right? :shock: It grew a small but surprisingly lush garden of poppy sprouts in the back, where I'd dropped some poppy seeds off a bagel. And prodigious mold on every surface. And I hatched a bunch of baby spiders in the dash. It was pretty fabulous! I think it drove for like two or three years, if that.

I told my BFF if her mechanic husband could get it going, they could keep it. Well, he cursed and sweated over it all afternoon, and finally got it rolling. She's been driving it ever since. It still leaks, it has all sorts of ridiculous problems due to said leak, but it still keeps rolling. So, I can't *totally* regret it, because she desperately needed a vehicle and she was thrilled to get one free, even a leaky moldy one, but I really should never have risked getting a salvage car, no matter how cute or cheap!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I regret purchasing my alexandrite but not the stone itself, but purchasing it over another alexandrite that I saw that day.
Also, one of my Mahenges which is nothing compared to the alexandrite in price but I just do not like it.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I'd have to think. I certainly have purses that cost a couple hundred dollars that I really didn't need. Or some jeans or something like that. Can't think of anything that is a big purchase though...yet!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the make up, purses and costume jewelry I've wasted money on over the years. I spent thousands of dollars on make up back when I was super into that stuff. :errrr: What a waste! Who needs 100 eyeshadows and 100 lipsticks?!?! If only I could have that money back...

Also, this sounds awful but I regret buying our second cat. She does not get along with the first cat at all, and she makes us all suffer. We love her, but we never should have adopted her unfortunately.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
the car i own! im not going to say what make so there are no problem with offending people with the same car...but it has been nothing but a huge problem and i should have listened to those who asked me to re-think my choice!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I sort-of regret buying hundreds of Beanie Babies when they were "in," but in a way I don't. There was a "thrill of the chase" aspect to finding the right ones, and it was a bonding experience with my mom. But now they're just sitting in bags in a closet. I should donate them to a children's hospital or something.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1315697413|3014692 said:
Around fifteen years ago I bought a steel and 18K gold Rolex.
I don't know what I was thinking as I rarely wear it.

Unlike diamonds it offers me no inherent pleasure besides being a nice example of engineering since there are no batteries and it winds itself when you move your wrist.
A $15 Casio keeps better time.

I think back then it was a status symbol to me.
Live and learn.
Not only do people vary; I vary. :lol:

Imagine if I'd bought an Argyle Pink Diamond back then for the same price, or some apple stock. :-o

What purchase, large or small, do you most regret?
Kenny ,
i know where you can give that Rolex a very good home where that watch will feel loved,appreciated and worn all the time(when his twin brother-a Rolex date isn't being worn) :D

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1315708088|3014778 said:
I sort-of regret buying hundreds of Beanie Babies when they were "in," but in a way I don't. There was a "thrill of the chase" aspect to finding the right ones, and it was a bonding experience with my mom. But now they're just sitting in bags in a closet. I should donate them to a children's hospital or something.

That is sooooo funny, because I have a plastic tub of them too! A big 'ol huge one! I think I am saving them for the grandchildren I will never have!!! my MIL had plastic tubs of toys she would take out for the kids when they came over and I always thought that was so great, and the kids LOVED it.

Maybe I will end up having a couple of GK, but I think I will be off having adventures instead of babysitting. DH and I are a little burned out I think.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can regret just about every purchase.

Three specific ones excluding the drama that let to my 5 year hiatus from PS:
1) the SP band I bought to replace the stolen one. I waited forever for that to be made, and the stones were way bigger than I think they shouldve been. I never loved it, not just bec of the theft, but bec it was too distracting from my other ring.

2) a smaller pair of diamond hoops. I like them a lot, they're gorgeous, but I have literally worn them like 3 times in 4 years. I thought I'd wear them every day, and I never do. I also kind of lump my studs in here too, I never wear those either, though Ill say in a year I've worn them maybe 20 times. I don't leave those in either, as I thought I would.

3) Our piece of shat money pit of a house. I hate it. HATE. HATE is not even strong enough. Houses are seriously the biggest fail ever, and the worst "investment" of all time. We will NEVER buy again if we can ever unload it. We plan to rent forever.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondrnglover|1315701591|3014728 said:
Live Haven I regret buying my house it is an 100 year old money pit :(sad
I'm pretty sure my HUSBAND regrets the house *I* bought before I met him. LOL. Sometimes I do too -- and other times it charms me right on back again. It *is* very, very charming. But - a creaky old handful for sure -- and unfortch, neither of us are "handy".

There was one LEMON of a car too -- #%$$@@@&&&**** Land Rover Freelander. PIECE O POOP. Got rid of it days before it ran outta warranty. NO REGRETS about ditching it. Yick. Cute as a button though. And every bit as rotton as it was cute.

Jewelry regrets? I don't buy much so I don't have much to choose from regret wise! As someone else said there's probably more I regret that I *didn't* buy! (Or couldn't afford at the time -- drats!) Am pretty, wholly in love with all my fine jewelry pieces.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I regret buying tickets to see the movie Contagion tonight.

My mom is here and had the brilliant idea of sneaking out to see a movie tonight, the first movie I have seen since our 11 week old was born. He sleeps now from about 9pm until 1 or 2, so I can sneak off in that time to see a movie if I want. I love movies they are my favourite. And the movie was lame. I totally wasted a night away from baby! :angryfire:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Currently? Every pair (3 pairs total) of Air Brandon Cole Haan flats. Those sucker hurt. I should have stuck to my Bloch flats or tried the Vera Wang Lavendar. Over a hundred a pair and I can't even wear them around the house. And that's with having them professionally stretched.

Also my HUGE Botkier Shoulder bag. It's so big and I just fill it and fill it. I weighed it the other day and it was over 20 pounds-- no wonder I've had chronic neck and shoulder aches. Plus it's all faded in spots. I should stick to stiff leather and smaller bags. I just bought a wonderful small MK and I can't fit anything but the essentials in it. PERFECT.

Jewelry? I'm going to keep mum about the purchase I'm re-thinking. It's a biggie.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No regrets, life is too short. It really is only money - if I'd gone in to debt to buy something maybe I'd feel differently, but I don't use credit cards or anything, so to me, it's just not worth regretting something bought and money spent after the fact.

Couple of things I wouldn't buy if I could go back in time, including a bracelet I don't often wear and an antique bed that takes non-standard sized mattresses, but well, my friends borrow the bracelet for fancy events and the bed is pretty, so they aren't regrets, as such.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I regret buying the condo that we're currently renting out to someone. We bought it in Dec. '05, when prices were high. We had a five year plan, where we'd sell it after living there until '10, then we'd hopefully sell it and buy a house. Well, that plan fell through when we had to move out of state for a new job opportunity my husband had. We didn't put it on the market but we had it appraised and the price was so low. It was really depressing. So now we're upside down we have no idea when or if we'll be able to sell it for nearly what we paid. We'd love to sell the condo and just be done with it, but we're stuck.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got conned by one of those cards in the mail that said I won one of the following prizes and may have also won a car! haha - I was 18 years old and the woman said I won luggage and it was free and the shipping, handling, and insurance was "only three ninety nine!" well of course I thought four dollars because that was the reasonable amount. When I got charged $399.00!!! on my credit card I was too embarrassed and naive to fight it. I was SO broke back then and it took me two years to pay it off. It was a huge financial burden on me at that time. I couldn't afford that. I look back and think who the heck would do a job like that conning people and feel good about themselves?

ETA - the luggage was this weird patchwork of misc. skin pieces and it STUNK so bad. It was horrible and I couldn't ever use it. I also got a "diamond and sapphire" bracelet. The diamonds are specks and the sapphires are SO badly cut. So, so badly cut. The bracelet was gold plated and has worn off. BUT It was my first piece of good jewelry hahahaha - sad huh? It looked nice for the first 10 years or so if you didn't look closely :razz:

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring setting. I really regret that one. Usually several times a day I look down and feel unhappy. I love the design but I hate the execution. I don't think it is worth it to get it fixed and to get a new one, exactly like this one should have been done feels wrong. Add to that that my e-ring is considered to be extremely over the top where I live then to spend at least $2000 more on it feels horrible.

The thing is it is still my dream design. But the bezel is a lot thicker than I wanted it, when I said that in the cads everyone said it was going to turn out thinner in reality, well it looks ( at least to me) even thicker than the cads. Worst thing is that my stone is a OMC and the bezel has really affected its performance, the facets under the table look dead and and the fire has been greatly affected. She used to be a fireball and now she kinda looks like a piece of white topaz. Then one of the bezeled baguettes look like they are to small since you see both sides and there is like a black line in between the bezel edge and the diamond. Then the halo is not the one I approved, it now has small blobs of metal in some places.

Sorry for the novel I just really regret this purchase.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
A few weeks ago I bought some fresh pesto from the deli. Last night I was hungry and remembered I had pesto that was about to expire so I pull it out and noticed it was cilantro & lime pesto. Words can not convey how much I hate cilantro. What a terrible idea for a pasta flavor. I was so bummed and full of regret that I had picked it up instead of the identical looking basil and pinenut pesto. I am still mad about this and I went to bed without dinner. :(sad

ETA- A regret with a bigger economic loss is my DSLR. I asked for a panasonic lumix for my birthday and my sweet husband went overboard and got me a Sony DSLR. Then for christmas I got lenses, the largest of which is either broken out of the box or even a photographer friend can't figure out how to use it. I really just wish I had a good point and shoot. I don't have the patience to learn how to use it and with all my fiddling my pictures are fuzzy, washed out, and a horrible representation of the true colors. The only thing it's been good for is safari, but the large lens again does not work properly.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
natascha|1315734451|3014919 said:
My engagement ring setting. I really regret that one. Usually several times a day I look down and feel unhappy. I love the design but I hate the execution. I don't think it is worth it to get it fixed and to get a new one, exactly like this one should have been done feels wrong. Add to that that my e-ring is considered to be extremely over the top where I live then to spend at least $2000 more on it feels horrible.

Natascha, I was among those greatly pained when you reset your ring. I'm so sorry you aren't in love with it. Can it go back it it's original setting? I have always suspected from pictures that Daniel M's work was really bulky but people seem so thrilled with him that I figured that it looked more refined in real life. It would be tricky to get the stone out of the bezel without destroying the bezel but if you know a skilled jeweler who could do it I bet you could recoup a good bit selling the setting.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1315736123|3014923 said:
natascha|1315734451|3014919 said:

Natascha, I was among those greatly pained when you reset your ring. I'm so sorry you aren't in love with it. Can it go back it it's original setting? I have always suspected from pictures that Daniel M's work was really bulky but people seem so thrilled with him that I figured that it looked more refined in real life. It would be tricky to get the stone out of the bezel without destroying the bezel but if you know a skilled jeweler who could do it I bet you could recoup a good bit selling the setting.

Funny thing is that I actually bought a milgrained bezel pendant from him before doing the e-ring just to be sure that I liked his work. Well that pendant is beautiful, the both the thickness of the bezel and the milgrain was what I wanted. My e-ring's bezel came out thicker and the milgraining was not as well done.

The problem with the original setting is that it is too big and with the enamel I have not found anyone who can resize it. I had enormous sizing beads put in but it is still too big for my left hand, but don't worry I had a spinel set in it and wear it as a RHR so I still get to enjoy it ( it is such an amazing setting). My left hand fingers and my right hand fingers have a big size difference, which is pretty annoying.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Bummer. I think the difference is the bezel was probably handmade by cutting stock tubing and the e-ring was CAD. Have you told him you're unhappy with the execution or are you just planning on living with it?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My Audi and this is nothing against the car; it was a fantastic car, but at the end of the day putting money in cars comes to nothing, combined with the burden of car payments (which I hate with a passion), and the way other people trip out over luxury cars in certain places and in certain situations, and it was a dream for three years, from my own point-of-view, but I wish I had wanted to and had been able to lease it for three years, and then just give it back. Live and learn.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1315737706|3014925 said:
Bummer. I think the difference is the bezel was probably handmade by cutting stock tubing and the e-ring was CAD. Have you told him you're unhappy with the execution or are you just planning on living with it?

I haven't told them. Well before receiving it I did tell them that it was thicker than expected and asked if they could thin it out and they said that it needed to be like that to properly set it and give it symmetry. So I okayed it and hoped I would get used to it. Had I known it would be that thick I would have done prongs. I am not going to talk to them about it since there is nothing they can do. IT is practically impossible to send jewelry insured from Sweden (last time I sent it from Spain).

I am unhappy with it and am trying to figure out what I am going to do about it. I think I am going to see if the bezel can be removed and prongs be attached. I don't know if that s feasible. Otherwise I guess I will wait for a while and then buy a new setting. It's just that it is so expensive because it needs to be custom because of the shape of the stone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1315733831|3014917 said:
I got conned by one of those cards in the mail that said I won one of the following prizes and may have also won a car! haha - I was 18 years old and the woman said I won luggage and it was free and the shipping, handling, and insurance was "only three ninety nine!" well of course I thought four dollars because that was the reasonable amount. When I got charged $399.00!!! on my credit card I was too embarrassed and naive to fight it. I was SO broke back then and it took me two years to pay it off. It was a huge financial burden on me at that time. I couldn't afford that. I look back and think who the heck would do a job like that conning people and feel good about themselves?

ETA - the luggage was this weird patchwork of misc. skin pieces and it STUNK so bad. It was horrible and I couldn't ever use it. I also got a "diamond and sapphire" bracelet. The diamonds are specks and the sapphires are SO badly cut. So, so badly cut. The bracelet was gold plated and has worn off. BUT It was my first piece of good jewelry hahahaha - sad huh? It looked nice for the first 10 years or so if you didn't look closely :razz:
That is such a cute story -- painful, not cute, while you're in it, but once it's in the past -- the very young & very old seem to fall for those scams -- always people who are nice and honest themselves & don't think to suspect others of being weasels.

I wish we hadn't bought this house -- the house itself is okay, not great, but we didn't know this city well & after 8 yrs here I'm b.o.r.e.d. out of my mind! The big problem is blasting DH loose. He flatly completely refuses to consider moving even in about 2 yrs. Life is too short to spend it where there are not stimulating & enjoyable activities -- he's happy & I'm going nuts. I know where I want to live & am sure he'd like it too, but how to make a stubborn Dutchman see the gain as worth the pain of packing & going?

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results