shape
carat
color
clarity

What Princess to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tigertas32

Rough_Rock
I would like to thank you all for responding if you can help at all. I am about to make the purchase but would like some outsider info to help.

I am going with this small B&M place in Torrance, CA called Adamant Designs. My girlfriend and I just walked in there and was impressed with everything. She found a setting she actually loved and now am trying to get the diamond.

I am choosing from:

0.90 EGL USA
H-VS1
$2900

1.52 NONE
J-SI2
$3700

1.12 EGL USA
H-VS2
$4000

1.00 GIA
E-SI1
$4000

All these diamonds face up really well, so they appear slightly bigger than their called out carat weight.

Note that the 1.52 carat does not have a certificate, but the owner siad he would go get the certificate for whichever lab I wanted.

I know these are different sizes but that is what he had in my price range, I have seen them all and they all are pretty darn good. They are all very close to square with good depths and tables.

I am having a hard time determining if the GIA report makes it that much better or what to really look for.

Do I go with the Big stone now and then upgrade later, or do I go with a smaller cleaner looking stone and then upgrade size later?

This is hard. His prices on the stones seem to very very close to internet dealers, so I think I will go with him to try to get the deal.

All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kevin,

Sorry we have no way of being able to tell you which is the best cut without photos...As to an upgrade, what is the seller's policy on that, has he been in business a long time and what are the terms you have to fulfil to be able to upgrade with him? If you went for the 1.5 ct and it was sent to GIA and it graded lower, for example a K I1 - would you still want the diamond? I am not saying that will happen, but there is a possibility it could and considering the price.

tigertas32

Rough_Rock
I do not have any pictures of the diamonds.

His upgrade policy is 10% less than the purchase price of the diamond.

As for the 1.52 carat, I can notice the difference between that one and the E color, but when it is by itself, it does look good. The ring itself has G-H-VS2 diamonds, so it may show up there too. The size is enormous for a 1.52 carat. My girlfreind likes size, but she saw the slight yellow too once I pointed it out, but like I said, by itself, it looks fantastic.

What do you think about lab reports? Is it necessary if I get it appraised at a GIA certified gemologist?

The business is on the BBB with no bad reports. The ring can be cleaned, polished anytime for free. There is only a charge for resizing. He seems to know his stuff and hlep me look at the diamonds and to look for certain things. He has shown me diamonds that he likes that are "eye clean" and only gemologists would be able to see certain things.

I tend to agree that many people are not going to notice some things in a diamond, but I want a little piece of mind know that I did get something good.

A thought I have is that I get a smaller one now and upgrade to a bigger one later, rather thatn just upgarding in color and clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results