shape
carat
color
clarity

What piece(s) are you never selling?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've really enjoyed reading all these responses, it's also great to see pictures of these cherished pieces.

Here are mine, in addition my newest heart ring (which I'm not sharing here because I feel like I'm spamming PS with pictures of it recently lol!)

The Fiona pendant and chain are the only real sentimental pieces here, the others were pre-loved but I would be hard pressed to replace them,

Fiona pendant and paperclip chain
IMG_5085.JPG

A better picture of the pendant
IMG_3066.JPG

Lavender Spinel
IMG_7197.JPG

Old cut diamond band
IMG_8617.jpg

AND my heart ring!

I smile every time I see your Fiona necklace, such a beautiful token of everlasting love.
And I’m rather proud that I could contribute to its creation.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I smile every time I see your Fiona necklace, such a beautiful token of everlasting love.
And I’m rather proud that I could contribute to its creation.

I wouldn't have been able to make this if it wasn't for you, so a big huge thank you! Heart-shaped moonstones are really hard to come by so the fact that you had a moonstone in that exact shape....just amazing.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice big jelly opal such as yours is probably not high on my list of bling wishlist, however, seeing yours reminds me I should have one.

DK :lol-2:

Can’t help myself... that’s a Vintage Lightening Ridge Black Opal of exceptional and exquisite quality. Truly rare and magnificent.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What could I never sell?
Only a few pieces.
1. My wee horseshoe signet ring.
The first piece of jewellery I saved up for and bought - at age 10.
2. My Victorian heart pendant and chain from my Great great Grandmother.
Only one of 3 pieces that wasn’t sold around 100 years ago by my Great Grandmothers brother who had a Diabolical gambling habit and stole and sold anything and everything. The pieces spared were only pieces Great great grandma never took off. This necklace, her wedding ring and the infamous ruby ring which he did get to and stole the real rubies and had glass put in instead.
3. My Opal Bracelet
This is just special to me, loving Opals as I do. Perfectly matched.
4. My Alexandrite bracelet
Because it was such a fabulous buy. The most nerve wracking eBay auction ever. Right up until the closing seconds I was sure someone with deeper pockets would swoop in and snipe her.
5. Almond Blossom Opal ring - a Jewel of the week. Again a piece that stole my heart the moment I saw her and I was both fortunate and grateful to e able to own her.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Because I so rarely get to buy in the first place I buy to keep and hopefully to pass to my daughter or her daughter. I would never sell any of it unless it was literally sell or starve. Ive gone 5 days without eating at all before so it would have to be a severe situation if it was getting that far between meals.

That said my list of especially never, is my engagement ring and wedding ring as well as the empty setting and wedding ring of my grandmothers because for all I know my daughter may want to refurbish them and use them at some point.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, five days without eating?! Was that by choice or necessity?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow, five days without eating?! Was that by choice or necessity?

Necessity. So I hope to never be in a place where spacing my food out that much is a need anymore. I had to watch my mom pawn her jewellery a lot as a kid too. And she never got a lot for it either. So its part of my never ever sell or pawn reasoning. Why do that if all they think its worth is 15 or 20 dollars for a whole bag worth of stuff. I will never forget the man telling my mom that the pawn shop she used regularly was giving her much more than he would give her for the same amount of stuff.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow, Ugh that is heartbreaking, so sorry you had to go that long without eating. Also it saddens me that that your mother had to regularly pawn her jewelry, they really don't give you anything for it, almost like you have to give it away!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow, Ugh that is heartbreaking, so sorry you had to go that long without eating. Also it saddens me that that your mother had to regularly pawn her jewelry, they really don't give you anything for it, almost like you have to give it away!

I know! I had always thought jewellery was always worth more than it is because of how the TV commercials talk about it and how people keep insisting its an investment. All that shattered the minute I overheard that conversation. I'm aware very fine, natural, rare colour stuff holds its value much better on the secondhand market but I won't kid myself. None of my stuff would be worth more than the metal if I tried to sell it today.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Id never sell my art deco style diamond and ruby ring (which is my profile picture), since it was may grandmothers diamond I got on my wedding day a placed in that setting, as well as my ruby ring, since ruby is my birthstone, and my unheated blue sri lakan sapphire ring (might reset it in future, but not sell the stone). And my fancy yellow diamond ring still coming my way, been delayed a while with hipping do to covid, and my Edwardian OCE diamond ring as well, do to the one of a kind lovely details. Unless I had no other choice.

r2.jpg sap.jpg il_1140xN.1957955088_t90j.jpg s-l1600.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ER, wedding band, mum's ER, opal ring and my WG single cut band are my never sell ones. Anything else would be fair game (but unlikely to sell for enough to be worth selling).

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Necessity. So I hope to never be in a place where spacing my food out that much is a need anymore. I had to watch my mom pawn her jewellery a lot as a kid too. And she never got a lot for it either. So its part of my never ever sell or pawn reasoning. Why do that if all they think its worth is 15 or 20 dollars for a whole bag worth of stuff. I will never forget the man telling my mom that the pawn shop she used regularly was giving her much more than he would give her for the same amount of stuff.

My mum did that too, and I know it hurt her to separate from them, the pic I showed above she didn’t sell because it has cultural significance (we are an ethnic minority), although she did sell some other pieces, so I hope to be able to keep it too and pass it down.
Now for her birthdays etc we get her jewelry :) we pool together for something that can last

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love your ring soooooo much.
Just as well @missy Id be finding myself in jail for assaulting everyone who was ahead of me in the queue and for selling my first and only born to afford her.

Haha thank you for making me laugh. LOL. And if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods (NYC/Jersey Shore) you are more than welcome to see the opal in person. It is truly even more beautiful in person. It would be an honor to show/share it to/with you.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very timely question as I contemplate
Upgrading my Ering stone and am planning to fund by selling some of my collection. These are some that I won’t sell for, starters.
E23A29C8-472B-4E59-B201-5B6B441E9A72.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, this is pretty much my reaction to your potential upgrade and possible jewelry cleanout

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I will never part with these, they belonged to my mom and were her 'everyday' set. I traded all the fancier pieces I inherited with my sisters just so I could have them together. They are priceless to me. When I see them, I see her.
They are also all as old or older than I am!
mom'severyday.jpeg
*yup, that's the girl scout ring- I have to get the basket repaired!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Only in recent years have I acquired pieces of much monetary value. But I'm finding my tastes and "must have" list kind of ebb and flow... I'm slowly honing in on things that I truly love. So I'm considering selling some that I'm not using much.

But, I would never sell:

My original yellow gold wedding band. Way too sentimental. I never wear it, but it's staying with me.

My very first blue zircon that I rescued, had recut and reset. It's my late fathers birthstone, and that first zircon always makes me think of him. So she's staying with me. 4 EVER.
IMG_20200319_191537_625.jpg

My OEC diamond that I got last year for our 25th anniversary. I waited many years for her. I do not crave bigger, whiter, whatever. I love my wonky warm oec to death.
The deco oec eternity my husband bought me as an early 25th anniversary gift. One of the sweetest gifts and delivered by him with such pure love. He asked that I wear her forever, and I shall.
Even though it's new, I can't see ever selling my French cut emerald band. My birthstone and such a perfect ring.
Both eternities pictured.
20200622_085425.jpg

Thats all of my absolutes. Everything else, eh, we'll see.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've really enjoyed reading all these responses, it's also great to see pictures of these cherished pieces.

Here are mine, in addition my newest heart ring (which I'm not sharing here because I feel like I'm spamming PS with pictures of it recently lol!)

The Fiona pendant and chain are the only real sentimental pieces here, the others were pre-loved but I would be hard pressed to replace them,

Fiona pendant and paperclip chain
IMG_5085.JPG

A better picture of the pendant
IMG_3066.JPG

Lavender Spinel
IMG_7197.JPG

Old cut diamond band
IMG_8617.jpg

AND my heart ring!

I have completly missed the fiona pendent
She's lovelly
i need details :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know! I had always thought jewellery was always worth more than it is because of how the TV commercials talk about it and how people keep insisting its an investment. All that shattered the minute I overheard that conversation. I'm aware very fine, natural, rare colour stuff holds its value much better on the secondhand market but I won't kid myself. None of my stuff would be worth more than the metal if I tried to sell it today.

That's so sad

most of my jewlery is mall jewlwey so im not kidding myself
right now im having a purge and selling most of my gold earings for scrap
thet are not just outdated but are too young for me and i havn't worn them in 20 years so why would i start now?
Also scraping a whole lot of projects that would just be chucking good money after bad, so more gold for scrap
i was hoping to keep them for gold credit when i eventually get a new ring made but i need to pay property taxes and im a bit short

it kind of feels very Marie Kondo, clearing out my jewlery of old unworn, too small and broken chains and rings
even my baby braclette - why keep it - i don't ever remember wearing it and i see no way to reuse it
I am keeping my baby name brooch to make into a pendent though

I would never sell my inherited pieces, the eternity ring dad gave mum when i was born, my great grandma's wedding ring, my grandma's ER and my great aunt's ER, also my mum's 1980s mall jewler emerald ring because i have always loved it

And the gold earing Gary gave me

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, here is the thread on Fiona :)

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
My husband never wants me to sell my 2 engagement rings but I would have no problem lol probably bad to say. I’m really attached to the one but would let it go for the right price and good home. Thing I would not sell have little monetary value. I have a watch that was my great grandmas, my great aunt‘s engagement ring that my grandma wore than my mom and now me. Last but not least my grandma had a scarab bracelet prob from the 60’s that’s not real metal but I love it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no family pieces, so the only thing I wouldn’t sell, is Bella, she’s already promised to my future DIL.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mostly everything is never. I have those pieces for a reason and each symbolizes something, something important, whether good or bad, my path, my choices in life, milestones, changes. They mean a lot to me. What I design or buy antique and can part with I do sell. My personal collection is that for a reason. I also saw people pawn and sell irresponsibly, will not do that. My jewelry shows me how I have had strength to Hold onto value and myself during a sometimes very difficult life. That does mean something to me. They also taught me how much a person can give up to hold onto valuable things and of course most importantly people.

Did I have to, I would of certainly sacrifice higher value pieces for those I love without a second thought but at the moment it’s not the case and let’s hope it will never be and by my age hopefully most people saved enough to not have to do that unless the “sky falls upon us” and let’s try to be positive.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 4 pieces I will never part with, one would be my original wedding band the other would be my 5 stone wedding band, I also have a 14K pendant that was made for me for my 30th birthday my step MIL had custom made for me before she died from cancer, there a very small diamond in the necklace that was taken from a ring she had and the last one is a ring my mom bought me for christmas when I was 12 its a piece of glass birthstone ring set in 10K it is by far my most sentimental piece of jewelry.

Attachments

• 32A6993E-41A4-4060-BF84-32F49B808685.jpeg
    32A6993E-41A4-4060-BF84-32F49B808685.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother's wedding band. They were married for over 50 years and deeply in love until death. Most other jewels I could probably rationalise but not that... :love:

Actually also my opal pendant which belonged to my Nanna, doubt I could ever part with that for love or money either! Pic below.
IMG_0266.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pieces i inherited from mum
- they came with the comand do not sell !
But im sentimental anyway and its a link to my grandma, great aunty and great grandmother
Also i rather like the pieces so i would want to keep them
My sister wasn't interested in mum's early '80s emerald and diamond ring and it didn't come back from being valued with a huge worth but i was mun when she brought it and i always loved it so im more than happy to give it a loving home

i recently had a clean out and scraped some things to a gold buyer
Bad buys, things i had grown out of, lots of gold earings ill never wear, future projects that required more spent on them than they were worth

I feel 10 pounds lighter and i paid the quarterly property tax bill and still have some cash left over

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results