clarity

What period do you think this is?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1800s, maybe? What does the seller say?

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@Mreader it is a ruby and the blindest buy of all the buys :lol:. It came up at a probate sale and the company that handled the probate specializes in farm equipment, so they are trying to find more things about it. I just thought it was really pretty, despite the obvious grime.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Novice here. It looks like a Burma ruby and Georgian Era diamonds - even the tiny ones are really old - the squarish ones are “transitioning out of Peruzzi and into Mine cuts”. My guess is Victorian use of much older diamonds and a real ruby due to that “spoke style” which I don’t think is Georgian. I wish we had some historic jewelry resources to check styles against!

OR, a big maybe, it’s a Repro using newly cut Indian/Turkish cut diamonds. But that’s a lot of diamonds for a Repro ring. I’m puzzled because I don’t recognize that style as Victorian or Georgian. Does anyone know what Era this NSEW placement of larger halo diamonds come from? I didn’t think even Victorian.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just looking at the diamonds which are very old indeed I’d say pre 1850! Of course they could have reused them in a later piece. The ring design looks more recent.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the diamonds look older than the setting. My guess of late Victorian or Edwardian was premised on the white metal being silver, which it looks like to me, and on what look like open backs and plain, milgrained bezels rather than collet settings. Georgian and earlier rings would likely have closed backs and collet settings. If the white metal is white gold or platinum, I'm changing my guess to Edwardian or early art deco. And I wonder if it's a stickpin conversion, as @JPie suggests.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just looking at the diamonds which are very old indeed I’d say pre 1850! Of course they could have reused them in a later piece. The ring design looks more recent.

Yes, cut style is definitely pre 1850, some look like 1700s or earlier. The wierd thing is that typical Georgian halos that you see in pieces online have rose cuts, not fully cut pre 1850 cut style diamonds. And a lot of them…

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, cut style is definitely pre 1850, some look like 1700s or earlier. The wierd thing is that typical Georgian halos that you see in pieces online have rose cuts, not fully cut pre 1850 cut style diamonds. And a lot of them…

Those peruzzi looking ones at EW are the super oldies right? Maybe a couple of them in the halo surround too.

1712004165083.png

1712004261282.png

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I spoke with the tractor people this morning. It's not foiled back, it is original antique, at least Victorian or older. The ruby is natural but no testing has been done regarding the origin or treatment. The ruby size is 8 mm by 6 mm, so around 1.5 ct. based on my calculations.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I spoke with the tractor people this morning. It's not foiled back, it is original antique, at least Victorian or older. The ruby is natural but no testing has been done regarding the origin or treatment. The ruby size is 8 mm by 6 mm, so around 1.5 ct. based on my calculations.

I don’t think much treatment happened to rubies back then, and it looks Burmese from the color and the timeframe fits (but I am NOT a expert) Depending on the depth, that carat weight could be more than 1.5 carats. When will you receive it? I think it’s going to be splendid, that’s a LOT of diamond and a very nice size ruby. I’m super excited to see it on your hand!!

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think much treatment happened to rubies back then, and it looks Burmese from the color and the timeframe fits (but I am NOT a expert) Depending on the depth, that carat weight could be more than 1.5 carats. When will you receive it? I think it’s going to be splendid, that’s a LOT of diamond and a very nice size ruby. I’m super excited to see it on your hand!!

Me too! I can’t wait to see more photos!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

reading this out of context it would be so perplexing :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
and its a really big tractor,
we had this guy come into work one saturday (thats my only open) , lucky very early in the morning, his tractor took up the whole car park, a big John Deer, with a ladder to climb into the cab with, ive seen him a few times out on the main road out of town, it still looks huge out there too ! (we grow a lot of corn around here) -now i hope i will have something much nicer come to mind than the children of the corn !
Ill be imangining him in antigue jewellery !

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@RRfromR Can we get an update on the tractor ring, please? Have you received it yet? =)2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, I had forgotten about this, but I’m dying to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results