shape
carat
color
clarity

What one thing would you like to try that you have not yet

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be anything. A sport, an activity, a food, a place you want to travel to and visit that you have not yet traveled. Anything at all.
Another way to ask this question is what one activity is on your "bucket" list that is most important to you that you have not yet accomplished...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What one thing would you like to try that you have not y

Missy, you have been asking some thought provoking questions lately!

I have always wanted to go to Japan. Since I was a little kid!
I have a collection of Japanese dolls. and most of the house is furnished in an Asian motif.
Maybe one day I will have the extra money to go!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stracci, thanks. And I love that you have a collection of Japanese dolls. How cool. I have never been to Japan either but I think it would be a great country to visit and I hope you get to go there sooner rather than later!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

I will continue the travel line and say Machu Picchu. Its one of only two of my bucket list places to visit.

I also want to learn to play the Double Bass. I was at a jazz club Saturday night, and it reignited my fascination with that instrument. Doubt I will ever actually take it up though.

Q

Queenie60

I would like to take a one week or more trip with my husband only. We have not taken a long trip since we've had children (22+) years. We have been able to go on long weekends alone but not a long, far away place. I look forward to doing this sometime soon.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I want to take a few laps around a NASCAR track in a race car. I keep meaning to look into the Richard Petty driving experience (and others), and live in the middle of several tracks, so no excuse for not doing it other than not having made it a priority. I have such a need for speed! :Up_to_something:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know I'm having trouble coming up with something. Not sure what that means. :confused:

(oh I should add it's not because my life's so great I've done everything I wanted! or that there's nothing I want to do...but the ONE thing I'd like to try...nothing's coming to me).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:silenced: :hand: :naughty: :naughty: illegal drugs. Like, what's the appeal? :errrr: :-o I'm curious, but I don't want all the ramifications that come along with messing with drugs! So, yeah, I'm not going to try any drugs, but I do wonder about them!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'd like to learn to play the piano. It would probably help if I actually had a piano!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Actually living in the wild for an extended period of time as our ancestors did. I might want to bring a handful of items from civilization like a metal match, a large knife and some other little bits and pieces just to make sure I don't die out there. But I would like to go wild for a month or two and use my skills, knowledge and instincts to survive. I'd even make my own loin-cloth!! :bigsmile:
Whether or not I could actually survive is another story as there's quite a difference between spending x amount of time in the bush with supplies as I have done versus actually living in the bush.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Home ownership and renovations.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel like I've already done a lot of crazy stuff, so now its just travel the world when I can.
On the bucket list;

The Azores
The Peruvian Andes
Antarctica if it hasn't melted away by the time I get there...lol

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1455745678|3992236 said:
Actually living in the wild for an extended period of time as our ancestors did. I might want to bring a handful of items from civilization like a metal match, a large knife and some other little bits and pieces just to make sure I don't die out there. But I would like to go wild for a month or two and use my skills, knowledge and instincts to survive. I'd even make my own loin-cloth!! :bigsmile:
Whether or not I could actually survive is another story as there's quite a difference between spending x amount of time in the bush with supplies as I have done versus actually living in the bush.

Two of my favorite tv shows are around this: Alaskan Bush People & Alaska Last Frontier. I so admire their ability to "live off the land" and disconnect from all the madness (eta - minus the video cameras lol)..

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JoCoJenn|1455748939|3992273 said:
jordyonbass|1455745678|3992236 said:

Two of my favorite tv shows are around this: Alaskan Bush People & Alaska Last Frontier. I so admire their ability to "live off the land" and disconnect from all the madness (eta - minus the video cameras lol)..

I love those shows too! Although I don't know if I could survive in those conditions, I start complaining the moment it gets below 50 degrees farenheit.
What I want to do is even more primitive than those TV shows to be honest; I'm wanting to actually build my own shelter from nature, make my own nets etc. As I mentioned the only things I can think of that I really need from civilization is some kind of big machete knife, a metal match to start fires easily and maybe some kind of pot to cook and process water in. I could literally build everything I needed from there by using stuff I find in nature.

There's just something about that lifestyle that makes it seem like the ultimate freedom; no job or taxes, no internet, no bills or rent - all that matters each day is food, water, shelter and fire.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1455735524|3992168 said:
:silenced: :hand: :naughty: :naughty: illegal drugs. Like, what's the appeal? :errrr: :-o I'm curious, but I don't want all the ramifications that come along with messing with drugs! So, yeah, I'm not going to try any drugs, but I do wonder about them!

LOL well it depends on what you mean by illegal. Seriously, Cuban cigars are illegal in the US but not anywhere else. (at least not that I know of!) And of course, there's marijuana but hmmm its still illegal at the federal level though some states don't seem to care about that...lol.

when I was in Ecuador I used coca leaves. You could get dried leaves, tea, or candy. I did tea and candy. I did it only while I was mountain climbing which helped stopped me from being terribly ill with altitude sickness. And you got some energy busts out of it but unless you used a whole lot (and i mean a really whole lot), you aren't going to get any kind high out of it. Some of the guides abused it though and left some people that paid for guided tours totally stranded...there's a downside to everything. Frankly the tea was VERY gross, (the candy was tolerable but only because of the sugar!!) but in most of the national parks around Quito, in Old Towne, and at the top of where the cable car lets you off at Pinchincas, you can get it.

I couldn't bring any back of course, and at the airport they check your bags diligently to be sure you're not bringing back anything you shouldn't. 75% of my flight had to get a 2nd security check.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I could snap my fingers and make Tony Montana a real life living breathing person.......

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh, fun thread.

I've never tried a swim-up bar. I think it'd be great. Always wanted to try it.

I've always wanted to go to Vienna.

This doesn't fall into the category of "try" exactly, but two things I've always longed for in a home is a real fire (coal or wood, doesn't matter) and a grand piano (and learn to play said piano.) I've always wanted to "try" living in an old rural cottage as well, with my fire. Not sure how the grand piano would fit in.

Pipe dreams, all of them, except maybe the swim-up bar.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainwood|1455740164|3992187 said:
I'd like to learn to play the piano. It would probably help if I actually had a piano!

People play air guitars. You could play air piano! :bigsmile:

By the way, I believe you can rent pianos for a month or a few months at a time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:errrr: ..No dirty minds allow to post on this thread... :whistle:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I've always wanted a nose piercing, that way I'd have another place to have a little blingy diamond. However, now at the ripe old age of 43, I have 2 teen kids who were absolutely horrified at that idea, and to be honest, I don't think it really fits my personality or social circle...but I still want it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1455760119|3992377 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking the same thing! Then I started listing stuff in my head...and was like "nope." :-o

I would like to try working in radio/t.v./film. It was my first major in college but I got bored with classes like "History of Cable" and switched to something more exciting. (To me, anyway!) I've participated in some podcasts and radio commercials but I kinda want to try t.v.! (NOT reality.)

I also want to write novels. I have several outlines for niche things that I would self-publish, but I really want to get into non-fiction, how-to books that will reach a wide range of readers interested in my field.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. But, I feel like I have lots of good years left to do a lot of things. With every decade I age, I discover more and want to do more. I hope that trend continues til I'm 90.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1455756048|3992323 said:
rainwood|1455740164|3992187 said:

People play air guitars. You could play air piano! :bigsmile:

By the way, I believe you can rent pianos for a month or a few months at a time.

Yes, you can rent, or even purchase full size keyboards or buy pianos for cheap just to learn on. Piano is one skill I learned early on and it's something in my life that has kept on giving. It's like riding a bike-you never forget how to ride, or how to play; maybe you have to practice a ton to get back to where you were, but once you learn it's a wonderful, wonderful thing.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd like to be an actress. I'd like to see Australia/NZ. I'd like to learn how to dance--really dance-dance, not the little weirdness that I can do. I'd like to try other kinds of martial arts. I'd like to try something insane, like sky dive just once but..honestly I think I would pass out or have a heart attack. I'd like to cage dive w/great whites but again..that whole passing out/heart attack thing.

A couple of those things tie in to things I've been forcing myself to do the last couple years, my own little "mini" bucket list I guess. Visiting Australia/NZ tho, I'm holding out hope..my daughter told me that mom told her in the strictest confidence that she is going to take us there in the next couple years, and then the next two times we went out for Chinese my fortunes said "You will soon be crossing the great waters". My husband insists the river that flows thru town being flooded is what that referred to. Jerk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1455733613|3992157 said:
You know I'm having trouble coming up with something. Not sure what that means. :confused:

(oh I should add it's not because my life's so great I've done everything I wanted! or that there's nothing I want to do...but the ONE thing I'd like to try...nothing's coming to me).

CJ I am having a similar issue. I mean there are things I want to do that I have not yet done but picking the most critical/important one for me is proving challenging.

I asked my dh and he said surfing and visiting Iceland. I do have Iceland and Australia on my to visit list as well but it doesn't feel like the most important thing I want to do and that was sort of the intent of my question. Surfing I wouldn't mind trying but it is not really on my to do list per se. I would try it but I could take or leave it.

Is it bad I asked a question for which I have no personal answer yet?

I am enjoying everyone's replies though for sure. And it seems most of what everyone want to do is very attainable!

packrat, when I was a little girl I wanted to be an actress. But that was before I developed a fear of public speaking. Sort of difficult to marry the 2 though I guess it can be done as they are acting right?

Dancing Fire said:

Dancing Fire, go ahead. We aren't shy here. I am sure most of us are very interested in your answer. 8)

Black Prophet, I like your dreams and definitely doable. Cool instrument the double bass. I want to learn the bassoon. In school I played the clarinet but always wanted to learn the bassoon. Or oboe.

Queenie, I hope you get to enjoy that vacation very soon just the 2 of you. Romantic and you guys deserve it after all those years of being selfless. Do it!

Pinto, I have never even tried pot. I bet not many people can say that. LOL I don't even think I want to either. I know I'm weird. It holds no appeal to me. My parents did a good job of brainwashing us when we were younger against drugs like that I guess. What my dad told me still rings in my head about killing brain cells etc. Let's face it. I need all the brain cells I have left!

Gypsy, home ownership is great however I suggest when you do renos try finding another place to live in the interim. I strongly suggest this for your and your dh's sanity.

Rainwood, come on over. I play (but haven't done so for decades so probably forgot how) and will gladly teach you! Somehow though my sister got the family piano. Hmmm. :wink2:

Jordy, I'm with you. Anything below 50 degrees and I feel I am roughing it. :lol:
And I admire your dream of roughing it. For me my idea of roughing it is watching those survivor shows like Survivor or Naked and Afraid. That is as far as I will go. :lol:

Madame Bijoux, I had to google Tony Montana. Shameful I know. :oops: I wouldn't mind meeting Al Pacino in person. 8-)

Jambalaya, fun wishes and very doable. Hope you get to enjoy at least some of them soon.

JoCoJenn, I like that wish and I wouldn't mind doing it either. I love speed.

Arcadian, I would love visiting those places too. Hope you get to visit soon.

Jaysonsmom, I have always wondered what happens when you need to blow your nose or sneeze. IDK how about a diamond toe ring instead? Though I do think nose piercings with a beautiful diamond can be pretty. Let's face it put a diamond on anything and we are good to go. 8-)

Monnie, I would like to write a novel too. Fiction. Maybe one day. And I agree there are many good years left for us to explore and figure it all out. Wishing for everyone many many many decades of enjoyable experiences.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1455796478|3992497 said:
Is it bad I asked a question for which I have no personal answer yet?

Yes, it's terrible missy! ::)

But all kidding aside, now that you ask and I get to think about it, it's actually great that you asked the question because I *want* to have something I want to try so I will be actively searching for that thing now. :)) I'll ask DH too - I bet he'll have an answer.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thought provoking!

Here is the perspective from an OL who has often been amazed at how the universe conspires to help when you have an idea;
Start planning that trip - have fun studying the place and keep a journal; draw maps. Get specific. You are only one plane ticket away from your destination.
Rent a piano or a keyboard. Just do it. If it's hard to get the ball rolling hire a teacher and let him/her provide the structure.
Join NANOWRIMO and write a novel in 30 days. [I've done that several times - what a trip!]

I suppose right now my best dream is to live in France, find an ancient stone "character house" in the Loire Valley, furnish it with amazing flea market finds, then spend my days exploring France and taking photos.
Meanwhile, it would be fun to take that scenic train out West to go diamond hunting.
And last but not least...visit NYC.

Missy, thank you for asking the question.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What a fun thread! When I read the first post, my only thought was to do wheel thrown pottery. That's something I've wanted to do for years, but now my list has expanded a bit:

Lean Pottery
Visit NYC
Tour the US (in an RV :dance:) - SO close to this: got the truck, picked out the RV (waiting for the $$), and then we'll need more $$ and time to travel
Go to Hawaii (can't do that in an RV :wink2: )

I have lived in Europe (army brat) when I was younger and mom had the forsite to do tours while we were living there. I've been to: Germany, Austria, and Italy (I'm sure there's more, I forget now). Wouldn't mind going to the other countries, but not sure if DH is game. He's a USA only type of guy. :razz:

I've also been to Mexico and Canada...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd love to go to a foreign country where I dont speak the language and they're not great with English. It would be fun to try to
figure out communications to get what you need...hotel room/food etc. I think it would be a great experience to do with kids
to teach them there is a great big world out there and you're just one tiny part of it. Go have fun!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock

Fun thread. I will echo Gpsys' answer. Home ownership. I rent a really really nice home now, and have no debt, but I would like the fulfillment/security of having equity in something. I've never had equity in anything in my life, aside from super cheap cars bought with cash.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would like to try living in a foreign nation, I would like to live in Australia or something like that, but my husband would love something more like Sweden or Finland. I would prefer no snow. lol

I also thought about living in a "tiny home" or tiny loft space but that would only work if I was a single person. We are both people who need private space, and as much as I want to pare down and be minimalist, I would have a hell of a time with that. He jokes about what would I do if he passes away, would I sell our house and move? Well, yes probably. But I don't know to where and how. (back to my mom and dad's like a loser. I bet they can't f'ing wait.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results