shape
carat
color
clarity

What one thing scares you more than anything else?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not scared of heights per se but ferris wheels are a big no thank you for me. I was on one once or twice and it is terrifying being stuck up there in the air for goodness knows how long. NO thank you. So yeah I am scared of being stuck on the top of a ferris wheel. Roller coasters on the other hand I LOVE. Just love. The thrill of speeding down just is the tops to me. LOL we are complicated individuals aren't we. :lol:

@missy As a young child I remember going on the Coney Island rollercoaster. I think it was made of wood if I can remember correctly. I can still hear the sound as it was climbing up to the top. I would never go on one now! I was brave then!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to write this last night but I didn't. This is my worst fear. Death of my loved ones. Especially my DH. I can be very morbid and losing my beloved Francesca last year and Fred at the beginning of this year didn't help. Frankie was only 10 years old :(. And it started a cascade of worry. Specifically about losing more loved ones. Especially worrying about my DH. I do the same exact thing. If he is late returning home my imagination goes wild. I didn't know anyone else was like this. @mrs-b I love you. Just wanted to say that. That is all. No, one more thing. Please take good care of yourself! XOXO.

@missy -

I would give you the biggest hug if you were here right now! (...which would probably make you hugely uncomfortable, because you don't even know me!) But I've been thinking about your cats - Tommy in particular - over the last week or so, and just thinking about the shitshow that has been 2020 for you. For me too, frankly. I'm working with my goddaughter at the moment on her application to change universities, but am trying to get to the NIRDI thread to give an update.

And I am sending you genuine friendship, support and love. And let's agree - no freak husband accidents!! Gees louise - of all the disasters I couldn't cope with... I've always said - I'll never have to live without Tim: if anything ever happens to him, I'll have a stroke within 20 minutes of finding out and then - problem solved. Seriously, I'd rather be dead. We've been together over 37 years now and I'm 60; it's way too late to learn to 'love life' without him. Screw that.

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Thritto, I’m with you @missy and @mrs-b. I have an overactive imagination that something could happen to my husband, parents, brother and children, that they know to call me back right away if they see a missed call. If they don’t, they would likely have a search party looking for them within 3 hours if they don’t make contact.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything flying inside my house which also includes birds or palmetto bugs.

My very unreasonable fear of swallowing thick liquids. I will spit them out if too thick. *yeah some of y'all will have dirty minds, I can already feel it...lol*

Seeing my own blood. I can handle other people's. Maybe thats not a good thing.....

inne

Shiny_Rock
A plane crash into water and sharks. Both combined are my absolute greatest fear. Even thinking about it is unbearable.

Edit: Actually, no, this is not true. The greatest fear of all is my husband dying. But it would be so utterly devastating that I have to just deny it's ever going to happen.

On the topic of fear of heights: I developed a horrible fear of heights in the past few years. I took the tram or whatever in Palm Springs and was shaking so much strangers asked if I was okay. But! Last year my husband and I drove the White Rim Trail in Utah. The first day I really thought I was going to pass out from anxiety. But the second and third day I was totally fine. I could stand on the edge of cliffs and enjoy it. Most of my fears aren't the kind of thing that's suitable for exposure therapy, but this one really really worked!

Last edited:

inne

Shiny_Rock
I was going to write this last night but I didn't. This is my worst fear. Death of my loved ones. Especially my DH. I can be very morbid and losing my beloved Francesca last year and Fred at the beginning of this year didn't help. Frankie was only 10 years old :(. And it started a cascade of worry. Specifically about losing more loved ones. Especially worrying about my DH. I do the same exact thing. If he is late returning home my imagination goes wild. I didn't know anyone else was like this. @mrs-b I love you. Just wanted to say that. That is all. No, one more thing. Please take good care of yourself! XOXO.

Who were Fred and Francesca? Were they your cats?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AprilBaby I will just add for the people that are afraid of drowning...I saw the bubbles..without struggling to breathe. I remember thinking and wondering if this was it...was I drowning..It was very peaceful...It was only when they got me that it was very uncomfortable..vomiting water...It changed me....I think for the better. I appreciate everything...Two interesting facts....
1. I didn’t tell anyone until I was in my late forties..not even my parents. I didn’t think anyone would believe me. I’m at the age that I can talk about it without feeling judged.
2. I heard the lifeguard flirting with a girl. I heard his exact words but I was under water..pulled out very far in the water..There was no possible way I could have heard him normally. When I was able to talk I told the lifeguard what he said. He and the girl visibly paled and said that was exactly what he said.

This is very comforting to me as I knew someone who drowned over the summer of 8-9th grade. It always bothered me the thought of them suffering. Thank you for your openness!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is very comforting to me as I knew someone who drowned over the summer of 8-9th grade. It always bothered me the thought of them suffering. Thank you for your openness!

I‘m so sorry..I’m happy it helped put your mind at ease @AprilBaby

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He sounds like the best friend @missy..

He is. I’m very lucky. Greg is my best friend and so is Tom. I mean who has two amazing best friends like that? Of course it’s a different relationship since Greg is my romantic partner in life but yes I have two best friends who are the most amazing guys.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy

tom sounds like an amazing, extraordinary friend. i would like a best friend like tom in my life .

the closest ive got to that is mr. big fat facets

Aww that’s pretty awesome too. Having our dh as our best friend rocks. ❤️

Tom is a rare gem of a friend. I am very lucky.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MeowMeow I'm so sorry about your mom.
:(

(((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy As a young child I remember going on the Coney Island rollercoaster. I think it was made of wood if I can remember correctly. I can still hear the sound as it was climbing up to the top. I would never go on one now! I was brave then!

I love that roller coaster. It’s the oldest wooden rollercoaster IIRC. It’s scary I agree. An amazing thrilling scary. Love it. :lol:

When Covid is over we have to go on it again. Together! Deal? Deal!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy -

I would give you the biggest hug if you were here right now! (...which would probably make you hugely uncomfortable, because you don't even know me!) But I've been thinking about your cats - Tommy in particular - over the last week or so, and just thinking about the shitshow that has been 2020 for you. For me too, frankly. I'm working with my goddaughter at the moment on her application to change universities, but am trying to get to the NIRDI thread to give an update.

And I am sending you genuine friendship, support and love. And let's agree - no freak husband accidents!! Gees louise - of all the disasters I couldn't cope with... I've always said - I'll never have to live without Tim: if anything ever happens to him, I'll have a stroke within 20 minutes of finding out and then - problem solved. Seriously, I'd rather be dead. We've been together over 37 years now and I'm 60; it's way too late to learn to 'love life' without him. Screw that.

Yes. Give me a big hug and I’m giving you a big hug too! Even though we haven’t yet met irl I feel as if we know each other and I definitely consider you my friend. I hope you consider me your friend too.

Good luck with your goddaughter’s application to change university.

And I feel exactly the same about living life without our true love. If anything ever happens to Greg I don’t want to continue. I hope we go together. That’s how I want my parents to go too. Together.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that roller coaster. It’s the oldest wooden rollercoaster IIRC. It’s scary I agree. An amazing thrilling scary. Love it. :lol:

When Covid is over we have to go on it again. Together! Deal? Deal!

Love you @missy but no no no...haha

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything flying inside my house which also includes birds or palmetto bugs.

My very unreasonable fear of swallowing thick liquids. I will spit them out if too thick. *yeah some of y'all will have dirty minds, I can already feel it...lol*

Seeing my own blood. I can handle other people's. Maybe thats not a good thing.....

Omg yes. I pass out at the sight of blood. Literally. And flying roaches. No. Just no. I couldn’t handle it. The only thing scarier than a roach is a flying roach. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who were Fred and Francesca? Were they your cats?

Yes. They were my heart kitties. I will miss them always. Every day I still cry over them. The pain is still intense. Life is very cruel. :(

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Public bathrooms

Omg I am terrified of using public toilets! Lucky I have a super bladder so rarely need to but they seriously freak me out.

I don't ever use the bathrooms on planes so have yet to take a plane trip longer than ten hours because that's my hold time limit.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Spiders , heights , small places ,needles , Alzheimer ,

inne

Shiny_Rock
Yes. They were my heart kitties. I will miss them always. Every day I still cry over them. The pain is still intense. Life is very cruel. :(

Oh, I am so sorry. And I completely understand. It's been nearly 5 months since I lost my sweet dog and I've cried every single day. It's such a devastating loss.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snakes!!!!! Absolutely terrified of them!!!!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were talking about dying with friends of ours this week. I’m not afraid of dying, I was when DS was little. Chernobyl happened, and I had nightmares about a nuclear disaster and what would I do if we got the 4 minute warning. I decided I’d grab him and run outside and just get it over with, rather than living in the aftermath (if we survived).

I‘m a strong believer in when you’re times up, it’s up, and there’s nothing you can do to change that. I almost drowned on our honeymoon, so it wasn’t my time.

I’m not afraid of bugs or creepy crawlies, I can happily pick up big spiders and put them out.

I’m worried that one of us will get dementia and of dying slowly. I don’t know what I’ll do, we’ve been together for 42 years, literally all my adult life, he’s been my one and only.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so sorry. And I completely understand. It's been nearly 5 months since I lost my sweet dog and I've cried every single day. It's such a devastating loss.

It really is. I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. :(

Thank you *hug* you're always so kind to all of us Missy. :)

Thank you @MeowMeow you are very kind too.
There are so many wonderful individuals on PS who make each day a bit brighter. I appreciate every single one of the lovely people here. Hugs to you too.

For all of you who've mentioned Alzheimers I agree. It is one terrible disease. I have seen it close up and it is probably one of the worst diseases one can imagine. It robs that person (and their family) of their loving memories and makes that person into someone entirely different. To see someone deteriorate before your eyes. It takes away their very soul. Sometimes I wonder what kind of world is this where such suffering occurs. But the only thing to do is take life one day at a time. It really is the best we can do. But it is challenging to come to terms with all the awful things that happen in life. :(

Sorry I don't want to end on that sad note. So will just add

I’m not afraid of bugs or creepy crawlies, I can happily pick up big spiders and put them out.

Austina you are my hero. I wish I could have you come over and take all the bugs out of our house when I see them and yell for Greg to get them. LOL. Well maybe soon when you won't be quite as far away though Austin is still pretty far from us...:think:Hmmm well just to say I am in awe of you picking the bugs up and taking them away. :appl:

One quick anecdote if I may. When I was in graduate school I was dating this guy M. And one night, very late, we were coming back to my place and there was a huge insect on the door. IDK what it was. Anyway I screamed and M screamed. That was when I realized nope. This guy is not for me. :naughty: Can you imagine both people being frightened of bugs? I mean not to be stereotypical and all because I am so not into stereotypes but if both he and I were scared of bugs what would we do in buggy situations? So that was one of the last times I saw him. He didn't understand but I made the best choice for both of us. He needed a girl who could take care of the bug situation and I needed a guy who could do the same. That is where the yin and yang come into play and where it is smart to marry/be with someone who complements you but isn't the same as you. Especially for bug situations. :lol:

And I am quite relieved and happy to say Greg is not afraid of bugs and he protects me as a partner should. :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not afraid of bugs either. I have a soft spot for spiders and always help them out of my house.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heights, but I love rappelling and have done a 200ft rappel.
I also love flying in small planes.
I will not do ladders over a few feet.
Totally weird.

Just an image on tv or movie looking down off a high building can bug me but I would rappel off the same building anytime.

Edit: My wifey getting sick would be the number one. Heights second.

We just lost 2 friends this week when their plane crashed with two others on board. The engine was having problems mid-flight.

I was never a fan of small planes, but it's safe to say I won't anywhere near them now. And I want a major airline pilot because many of them trained in the military.

Also, since 9/11 I will never set foot in a high-rise building. You couldn't pay me to do it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We just lost 2 friends this week when their plane crashed with two others on board. The engine was having problems mid-flight.

I was never a fan of small planes, but it's safe to say I won't anywhere near them now. And I want a major airline pilot because many of them trained in the military.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Even in many small planes the most dangerous part is driving to and from the airport.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss.
Even in many small planes the most dangerous part is driving to and from the airport.

I know this in my rational mind. My irrational mind is petrified and won't listen. :lol:

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
Mice, the dark, and helicopters.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results