shape
carat
color
clarity

What obscure talents do you possess?

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I can wake myself at the time I want without using an alarm clock. Even if I have only been asleep for 4-5 hours. I still usually set an alarm just in case but 99% of the time I will wake up, check the time on my phone and see it is 1 minute before my alarm is set to go off.
I am also ALWAYS early, however hard I try. Even when I am meeting friends who I know are always at least 5-10 minutes late, I leave 10 minutes later than planned but inevitably make it with a couple of minutes to spare before the time we planned to meet. I don't know if that is a "skill" though -it's actually quite irritating!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm freakishly good at telling if something is straight - pictures, posters, anything you hang on the wall. My ex measured it one time because we got in an argument over whether the picture he'd hung was straight - it was off by 1/32". I'm goooooooooood. (This also goes for telling whether or not things are evenly spaced.)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
ImperfectGirl|1314651026|3004763 said:
thing2of2|1314644490|3004654 said:
I'm double jointed and can set my palm flat on a table and twist my arm around 360 degrees! I have a few other party tricks but that's probably the most impressive. :cheeky:

PLUS I can wiggle my ears!

I can do both of these too! :D

High five! :wavey:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i can remember details about people years after meeting them. but not their names.
i can gift wrap a ring box in seconds.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I can unicycle. I think of this more as a skill than a talent, because I just practiced every day for a few weeks and then it clicked.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Party tricks aside, I think I have an uncanny skill for cooking.

I can taste different ethnic dishes at restaurants, and create a good imitation at home. For eg, I've made Veggie Samosas, Koobideh skewers, Korean Chap Jae without recipes.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My obscure talents range from really useful to WTF. On the really useful end, I have an awesome sense of direction. You could blindfold me and drop me off in the middle of nowhere and I could find my way home. It's like I have a built in compass. Someone else mentioned another one of mine- I can look at a map once and never need to look at it again. So perhaps I have a GPS function as well.

On the WTF side of things, I have really long toes and can pick things up off the ground with them. Like I'll be doing something and drop something else...I'll continue doing what I was doing while picking up the dropped item with my toes and handing it (toe-ing it?) to my hands...without as much as a pause in conversation. This really freaks people out and results in them staring at me.

Oh, I'm also good at singing on key. If someone starts playing something on guitar or piano (or even a karaoke background cd) I can start singing on the right note. Now, if only I had a good voice, that would be a really useful talent.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
[quote="On the WTF side of things, I have really long toes and can pick things up off the ground with them. Like I'll be doing something and drop something else...I'll continue doing what I was doing while picking up the dropped item with my toes and handing it (toe-ing it?) to my hands...without as much as a pause in conversation. This really freaks people out and results in them staring at me.[/quote]

Me too!! Haha :lol:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I have one!
I CAN'T whistle.
Never been able to...people try to teach me and I can't do it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a very, very good melodic mind. To the point where I can accurately hum along a piece of music I have never heard before. It is pretty instinctive, I have no idea how I do it, but it is my away of really understanding music.

I am very bad with rhythm, though.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I am also really good at directions especially if I am the driver. It only takes me one time to remember the way there and back usually.
DH can do that, Ame. He's like a homing pigeon. We go to a city we visited once, 10 yrs ago, and DH drives around like a native. He gets SO annoyed at me -- I could manage to get lost in my own back yard, no sense of direction at all. If I'm driving & he's navigating, he'll say, "Now you turn east," & goes nuts when I holler, "DON'T tell me east! Turn left or right??" I wouldn't know east if it bit me.

I can do time, too -- I always know what time it is, even without a watch. Can take a nap & program myself to wake up in, say, a half hour, or at a certain time in the morning. I set the alarm for backup too, but always wake up before it goes off.

--- Laurie

slg47

Ideal_Rock
add me to the list of PSers with perfect pitch!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Another toe-user here! But, it's funny because my toes are like fat little sausages. They don't even look like they could bend! I usually do it in the bathroom when I drop something while doing my hair. So, the only people who see it are my kids and DH.

I WISH I had perfect pitch, a singing voice, anything else musically oriented.

rubybeth~I've never even SEEN a unicycle. How do you go about getting one anyway??

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've got a perfect pitch and I've got a great ear.

I can dress people VERY well for their shapes. I would love to be a personal shopper. Too bad those don't exist anymore!

I can walk with my toes curled under, like the opposite of tip toes. When my sisters and I were younger all three of us would do it, a lot of times without even thinking. We'd just play around the living room, dance, and sing, and walk on our toes. I'm the only one who can still do it-- I can even jump on them like this. Weird.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1314659536|3004882 said:
I have one!
I CAN'T whistle.

Me either, Chloe!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Echidna|1314663752|3004948 said:
I have one!
I CAN'T whistle.

Me either, Chloe!

I CANNOT for the LIFE of me snap. I can do the exact same motion everyone does, and it never produces a sound.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Echidna|1314663752|3004948 said:
I have one!
I CAN'T whistle.

Me either, Chloe!

What a relief! I thought I was the only person in the world that can't! :bigsmile:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1314662380|3004919 said:
rubybeth~I've never even SEEN a unicycle. How do you go about getting one anyway??

I got mine as a Christmas gift, pretty sure it's from the Unicycle Factory. This all started back in the 1960s when one of my uncles decided to weld together his own unicycle using old bike parts and his dad's (my grandfather's) welding equipment. All of my uncles learned how to ride, and many of my cousins learned. It's, like, genetic! :cheeky:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1314647561|3004704 said:
I also have the uncanny ability to get lost going to a new place regardless of GPS, printed Google maps directions...

I was going to say something similar. Actually, I get lost even if it's not a new place!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314650856|3004759 said:
mogster|1314648953|3004730 said:
kenny said:
The process they taught us in Driver's Ed in High School works beautifully.
Also, what is the secret to parallel parking...?? :oops:

First practice this a few times on a street with no traffic so you are not stressed out by cars in traffic that are stuck behind you.

To get the basics down let's first assume your car is the same size as the one you are going to park behind, lets call it car B. (more on this later)
There are 3 moving stages.
Knowing when to start and end the 3 stages is key.

1. Pull next to car B as closely as possible. (this is key and being afraid to do this is the main mistake people make)
2. Stop when your seat is lined up with driver's seat of car B.
3. Quickly turn steering wheel hard fully CW and slowly back up, watching your passenger-side exterior mirror to ensure you don't touch B's rear bumper, which won't happen if you did step 1 and 2 correctly.
4. When your head is in a straight line with B's bumper quickly turn your steering wheel CCW to straighten your front tires.
5. Continue back till you judge that the front right edge of your bumper is nearest to B's rear bumper.
6. Turn steering wheel hard fully CCW.
7. Continue back very slowly till your front right tire just touches the curb.
8. Straighten steering weel.

Now if car B is shorter or longer than yours the change step 2.
Instead of positioning your car so your seat is lined up the the front seat of B, position your car so your rear bumper is lined up with the rear bumper of car B - this takes some getting used to.

Again the moving 3 stages are:
Moving back with steering wheel fully CW.
Moving back with steering wheel straight.
Moving back with steering wheel fully CCW.

As a general rule turning the wheels with the car stopped wears out tires BUT it will make your parallel parking more sucessful.

Honestly, I think I'm going to print these up and keep them in my car. It can take me an hour to parallel park and I'd still have one wheel on the curb and one bumper in traffic. :cry:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am very strong for a woman of my size....arm wrestle anyone???

cheers--Sharon

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I can touch the insides of my elbows together in front of my body...sort of like double jointed elbows.
I also have an uncanny sense of direction. I may not always take the correct roads, but will find a way to get just about anywhere.
kenny, that is exactly how I was taught to park, and find that I can do a rather good job.
I am very good at name/face recognition. I still see people grades older than me from grade school and remember their name/face bc they were in our yearbook. Serves me quite well in sales/marketing!

One that hasnt been mentioned: I can juggle!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth~ That is so cool!

I'm amazed by all the people with a great sense of direction. I can find my way anywhere, but I will undoubtedly take a longer route than necessary.

charbie~ The elbow thing is disturbing. I'm picturing your shoulders popping out or something! My baby sis can willfully dislocate her shoulders on demand so I know what that looks like!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1314656265|3004843 said:
My obscure talents range from really useful to WTF. On the really useful end, I have an awesome sense of direction. You could blindfold me and drop me off in the middle of nowhere and I could find my way home. It's like I have a built in compass. Someone else mentioned another one of mine- I can look at a map once and never need to look at it again. So perhaps I have a GPS function as well.

On the WTF side of things, I have really long toes and can pick things up off the ground with them. Like I'll be doing something and drop something else...I'll continue doing what I was doing while picking up the dropped item with my toes and handing it (toe-ing it?) to my hands...without as much as a pause in conversation. This really freaks people out and results in them staring at me.

Oh, I'm also good at singing on key. If someone starts playing something on guitar or piano (or even a karaoke background cd) I can start singing on the right note. Now, if only I had a good voice, that would be a really useful talent.

Totally with you on the toe thing. Another thing, if my hands are overly full, I can use my feet/toes to open a door, and close it back.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a great ability to tell time to the 1/2 hour just from senses. And I am another person why can touch my thumb to my writst without a problem.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
What THE???

I'm broadcasting on facebook NOT to date any double jointed cat loving women unless you have a desire to spend tons on Jewellery. Fair play if they don't heed the warning.

:))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results