shape
carat
color
clarity

what name brand items do you own that would consider a status symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:16:56 PM
Author: Mrs.Guz

Class is considerate of others. It knows that good manners are nothing more than a series of small sacrifices.

Class bespeaks an aristocracy that has nothing to do with ancestors or money. The most affluent blueblood can be totally without class while the descendant of a Welsh miner may ooze class from every pore.

Class never tries to build itself up by tearing others down. Class is already up and need not strive to look better by making others look worse.

Class can ''walk with kings and keep its virtue and talk with crowds and keep the common touch.'' Everyone is comfortable with the person who has class because he is comfortable with himself.

If you have class you don''t need much of anything else. If you don''t have it, no matter what else you have, it doesn''t make much difference.

Very well said!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
OK, OK. I wasn''t going to post this because I didn''t want to brag but, given the direction of this thread, I figure it''s probably OK to post. You see, I''ve had my Mercedes encrusted in diamonds. Here is the "before" pic:

SL500-no plate.jpg

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:27:58 PM
Author: tlh
I have groupies... so I guess that makes ME a status symbol!
9.gif

''groupies''??? Is that like an STD? STD''s are very gauche...

27.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
And here is the after. Whatta ya think? I''d take a photo with me in it but, unfortunately, it is at my place in Palm Beach.
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
[where is that ROTFL smiley when you need it?]

diamondmbsl550.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 11:50:37 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/2/2009 11:46:34 AM

Author: Ellen

Date: 3/2/2009 11:35:04 AM

Author: ksinger

Status symbols? I avoid them. Gauche.

If I have anything that gives me status in my OWN eyes, it would be the fact that every single piece of artwork in my home is an original. I love handmade things, one-of-a-kind things. Why buy a purse that thousands of other women have, or has been knocked off a zillion times, when you can have a single, gorgeous work of art that no one else will ever have? I have been collecting artwork since I was 18. Of course to see my incredible status, you have to be invited into my home, the ultimate sign that one has ''arrived'' after all. (Yes, you may all be ill now)

Seriously, I have nothing that I know of that could be interpreted as a status symbol.
Huh, just pulling in the driveway does that for me.
9.gif
25.gif
giggly.gif

her de har har!!

And yes Karen YES!! My thoughts exactly!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:42:34 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
And here is the after. Whatta ya think? I'd take a photo with me in it but, unfortunately, it is at my place in Palm Beach.
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif

I like my car better, DiamanTAY.
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here is the after. Whatta ya think? I''d take a photo with me in it but, unfortunately, it is at my place in Palm Beach.
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
Wow, those diamonds are ICY WHITE!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and BTW, I use Charmin TP too. In fact, I make sure that I leave the extra rolls in the plastic so everybody can see that I use the expensive stuff when they open the bathroom cabinet. [I crack myself up!]

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:43:58 PM
Author: coatimundi

9.gif
11.gif
9.gif

I like my car better DiamanTAY.
3.gif

LOL! Maybe I could get some LV impregnated canvas with leather trim with which to do the interior. Whatta ya think?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:46:14 PM
Date: 3/2/2009 12:43:58 PM

Author: coatimundi

9.gif
11.gif
9.gif

I like my car better DiamanTAY.
3.gif

LOL! Maybe I could get some LV impregnated canvas with leather trim with which to do the interior. Whatta ya think?

You MUST!!!

....to hang with me...
13.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:40:18 PM
Author: trillionaire

9.gif

27.gif
No.. I have FOLLOWERS! My dogs and cat follow me everywhere... my own groupies!
9.gif
I''m sooo cool!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
You know, upon reflection, I have to apologize that I only have a diamond pave Mercedes instead of a diamond pave Bugatti Veyron. I''ll see what I can do about the LV logos for the interior so that you will stoop to hanging around with me, Coati.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
BTW, the pave was done by Cartier.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:50:28 PM
You know, upon reflection, I have to apologize that I only have a diamond pave Mercedes instead of a diamond pave Bugatti Veyron. I''ll see what I can do about the LV logos for the interior so that you will stoop to hanging around with me, Coati.

Thanks Woman.
31.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I realize that this thread has long since departed from the original topic
3.gif
but I figured I'd answer the initial question anyway.

I think my husband's prius is a status symbol. Status: environmentally conscious.

I've never really thought about my belongings as indicating any kind of class status, but I do think about the other things they communicate about me (fashion sense, personality, interests, etc.).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:49:51 PM
Date: 3/2/2009 12:40:18 PM

9.gif

27.gif
No.. I have FOLLOWERS! My dogs and cat follow me everywhere... my own groupies!
9.gif
I''m sooo cool!

my bad. my personal transcriptionist is not a native english speaker. Must have gotten lost in translation. I really should hire American...
20.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
oh come on ladies and gents, you know good and well that you look down your noses at ''maul store'' diamond jewelry! How many of you come on her twittering about Leons, Vataches, Verragios, Cartiers, Tiffany''s... I could go on ad infinitum...

Be honest w/ yourselves! Snobs, the whole lot of us!

12.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
My cats follow me around [six of them - 2 are DD''s]. I also have lots of people following me on Twitter, most of whom I have never heard of - that is really weird.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:00:05 PM
oh come on ladies and gents, you know good and well that you look down your noses at ''maul store'' diamond jewelry! How many of you come on her twittering about Leons, Vataches, Verragios, Cartiers, Tiffany''s... I could go on ad infinitum...

Be honest w/ yourselves! Snobs, the whole lot of us!

12.gif
I admit it, I''m a snob. I have nothing to be snobby about. But I am goddess in my own mind.

If you wear crappier clothes than me (difficult to do), then I am classier than you.

If you wear nicer clothes than me, then I am more down to earth and classier than you.

It all comes down to my belief that I am SMARTER than you.
41.gif
3.gif

Now, in YOUR mind, I could be a twit, and I''m fine with that.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
My tp is 800 thread count. And I''ve had my cats & pup gold-plated. There was a struggle ... but it was worth it.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, when it comes to bags, fashion items.... I do admire branded ones, but I do have a problem w/sooooo many knockoffs out there....as for cars/watches .... that's another story.
3.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
my US passport was a status symbol before GWB was in office...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
O GAWD gold plated puppies. This is a FUNNY thread.

Anyone hear of the gothic kittens that were being sold a while ago? True story. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28300503/

To answer the original question:

Status symbols. My mother has quite a few. But I, too, generally just buy something cause I like them and because of the quality, not because of the brand or the message it sends. It certainly isn’t my clothing (boring!). I own one designer bag (and not high designer, middle class tourist like someone said), and that’s because it’s perfect for me (size, durability, color, design) and I’ve carried it the better part of 3 years now. I may get a second ‘nice bag’ to switch around with, but it’s not a priority and you can bet I’m hitting the outlets before I commit to paying retail for it. My jewelry is to please me, no one gets more pleasure out of my pieces than I do I still stare at my jewelry pieces so much people must think I’m totally shallow. We have a nice apartment with a lot of nice features, but we’re fairly antisocial so no one sees it. Plus, it’s not like we own it. And we got it because it had things we wanted it for practicality not for status. Car, practicality. I drive 100 miles a day minimum, anything other than a Toyota would be pure folly. My pets are ‘mutt’ rescues, and I consider that a wonderful thing, and they picked us, not the other way around. I guess my education is probably my biggest status symbol. I had choices and picked the one with the most name brand value and ignored practicality entirely. Taught me a lesson too. Not gonna do that again. I don’t have a glamorous job, and certainly not the ‘best’ job for my education, but it’s a practical one that makes me enough and that I can do well. And I chose the company I work for as a result of practicality not because of name brand. Though it has a strong name in its industry—but that’s a direct result of the quality of product. I had a job offer at a larger ‘name brand’ company I declined because, the quality of my current company was stronger. I, too, have found that the most expensive status brands are not always the best quality—in everything.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 1:34:01 PM
my US passport was a status symbol before GWB was in office...
lol! Now, THAT is funny!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:34:04 PM
Author: luvmyhalo

Date: 3/2/2009 12:16:56 PM
Author: Mrs.Guz

Class is considerate of others. It knows that good manners are nothing more than a series of small sacrifices.

Class bespeaks an aristocracy that has nothing to do with ancestors or money. The most affluent blueblood can be totally without class while the descendant of a Welsh miner may ooze class from every pore.

Class never tries to build itself up by tearing others down. Class is already up and need not strive to look better by making others look worse.

Class can ''walk with kings and keep its virtue and talk with crowds and keep the common touch.'' Everyone is comfortable with the person who has class because he is comfortable with himself.

If you have class you don''t need much of anything else. If you don''t have it, no matter what else you have, it doesn''t make much difference.

Very well said!
Indeed. All kidding aside, this says it all. Thanks Mrs.
2.gif

*we now return you to your regularly scheduled funny*

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
You are all so funny! Thanks for the laughs!
emteeth.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
You ladies are incorrigible
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 3:55:29 PM
Author: Steel
You ladies are incorrigible
11.gif
Who cares about incorrigible, I want STATUS!
wahh.gif

9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results