shape
carat
color
clarity

What music speaks to you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As I was on my way to pick up M from work the other night, the song "Give a Little Bit" by Supertramp came on the radio. I''ve heard the song many times before, but for some reason I really heard the lyrics this time. It was speaking to me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What song/artist?

(Please distract me as I study for finals!)

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I used to be "into" music...but I just don''t take the time to sit and listen to music anymore.

However, I get choked up when I listen to Bob Marley. I like music with a history.

There are a few artists that really speak to me for one reason or another. And I chose to pay homage to them in the naming of my pets. (How silly!)

Nesta: my dad''s dog. We went to the humane society together and picked her out. I named her after the Robert Nesta Marley.

Mercury: my princess kitty. Named after Freddy Mercury, from Queen.

Ray: my male cat. He''s black. He was named after Ray Charles.

and my newest addition, June: my puppy. Named after June Carter Cash, because lately, I''m really into Johnny Cash.

nikki2011

Rough_Rock
Ohhh, that''s a great question. I really love music. I think it is able to express emotion so beautifully. A song can also bring you back in time and make old memories rush back.

I looooveeee. . .

Scientist, - Coldplay
Stolen - Dashboard Confessionals
Chocolate - Snow Patrol
9 Crimes - Damien Rice
#41 - Dave Matthews
Mona Lisa - Guster
Throw Me a Rope
Somewhere In Between - Lifehouse
Such a Way - Stephen Kellogg
All at Once - The Fray
I''m on Fire - Bruce Springstein
Crazy Love - Van Morrison

I could keep going all day -- but unfortunately I need to study too! I feel you''re pain, this site is much more fun than books!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
As a fan of blues and Southern rock, it''s Rickey Medlocke''s edition of Blackfoot covering "Sittin On Top Of The World".

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
You''re asking the girl with over a thousand songs on her iphone, lol!

I really love all music. What speaks to me a certain day changes very frequently with my moods. At the gym, I prefer hip hop, something rally energetic with a really good beat,like Kanye West, Flo Rida, and Jay Z. For homework, I prefer something more along the lines of Audioslave, Incubus, and Kings of Leon. While cleaning the house, I just put my entire playlist on shuffle and rock out to anything that plays, including Beatles, Queen, Britney Spears, Ice Cube, Nelly Furtado... I could go on forever!

Recently, I have been listening to Audioslave, and Incubus style music a lot more frequently. Also, I love Pandora radio! It''s a free internet radio you can have on your phone or computer that puts together a playlist based on a certain song or artist.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I tend to listen to a bit of everything, but some songs have spoken to me more than others.

The Dance - Garth Brooks
Letters From Home - John Michael Montgomery
Troubador - George Strait
That Girl is a Cowboy - Garth Brooks
I''ll Follow you Into the Dark - Deathcab for Cutie
Amazing - Aerosmith
Family Business - Kanye West
For the Widows in Paradise - Sufjan Stevens
Concrete Angel - Martina McBride
Long Trip Alone - Dierks Bentley
You Move me - Garth Brooks
Missing You Today - Sister Hazel
Champane High - Sister Hazel
Your Army - Sister Hazel
Landslide - Stevie Nicks
My Best Friend - Tim McGraw

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, there is a lot of music like that for both myself and my husband. You should of seen him when we were picking some music for our ceremony (heck even for weeks before we officially picked it he would hear a song on the radio, start to tear up and tell me later that we should have that song at our ceremony...ha).

There was lots of Michael Buble in there (my husband has a man crush on Buble) and some Kenney Chesney. One of our favourites to listen to is "I'm Alive" by Chesney and Dave Matthews. That song has many many meanings for us and we did play it :).

Others are:

Coming Home, Feeling Good Michael Buble)
Crash Into Me, Satellite, Song #41, Long Black Veil, Crush, Stay (Dave Matthews). I have a soft spot for all DMB and in my younger years, I was in a long term relationship with a man who passed away during our relationship, and we both enjoyed DMB together and went to concerts, etc - when he died we played a lot of it at his funeral)
Yellow, Clocks, The Scientist (Coldplay)
The Dance, The River (Garth Brooks)
First Sight (These United States)
The Book of Love (The Magnetic Fields)
I Hope You Dance (Lee Ann Womack)
My Favourite Book, What I'm Trying to Say (The Stars)
Fake Empire, Slow Show (The National)
This Year's Love, Falling Free, Coming Down, Flame Turns Blue, Lullaby, Shine (David Gray)
The Simple Life, Gotta Have You, Somebody Loved (The Weepies)
I'll Follow You Into the Dark (Death Cab for Cutie)
Bed of Roses (Bon Jovi)
Everything I Do (Bryan Adams) (this was in a Robin Hood movie during my youth with Christian Slater....that movie and song had my young girlish self feeling giddy!)
Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)
Patience, November Rain (Guns 'n Roses)

Meh, as someone else said, I could really go all day.

Lots of these songs have a romantic-love vibe, or a "loss" vibe to them. They just always speak to me and rise something up in me, whether it is from how they were related to experiences in my life, or moments in time, or the words or the music just does something for me. While I do have romance in my life, and enjoy romance, I would not call myself a romantic per say, I would consider myself pretty open and warm though and so these kinds of songs just hit something in me. Lots of the songs about "loss" just come from other experiences of loss and death. Others are more upbeat and speak to the transitions in my life where I have felt almost "reborn". Often it is the "sound" more than the lyrics that I connect closely with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results