carat
color
clarity

What mistake will you never make again?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 im sorry you lost both you mum and dad on such a short time
cleaning is a coping mechanism and you know as much as it would have been nice to just be with your mum im sure she knew all that house work came from a place of great love

Aww, thank you @Daisys and Diamonds ! You’re a day maker! What you wrote is very true and you put it so perfectly. Thank you! ♥️ Oh but those were dark days...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Slick1 I can’t imagine what it would be like to lose parents within six weeks of each other. I’m sure your mom knew how much you loved her...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww, thank you @Daisys and Diamonds ! You’re a day maker! What you wrote is very true and you put it so perfectly. Thank you! ♥️ Oh but those were dark days...
your very welcome Slick1
my dad died quite young and when mum went she had lived a long time without him.
mum had demetia so had already left us in a sence some time before
she didn't even look like mum
i wish id never gone to see her looking like grandma, all skin and bone but not even like grandma because grandma still looked like grandma
mum hung on for a long time, eventually i had to fly home and go back to work

my sister had been going to visit mum all day for a couple of weeks and her husband didn't seem to be able to load the dishwasher or put clothes into the washing machine much less put the butter back in the fridge and put the bread and jam away
the dirty washing in the laundry was a foot deep
i did quite a lot of washing and also food shopping for my sister's family i think my mum would have been greatful too

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hindsight is always 20/290 but I guess I'll never trust with my whole heart again. Feels sad to say that but the pain of this marriage breakup is something I never want to go through again...

Also will never let anyone else control my finances either! :wall:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Joanne. No, we would still take Oliver. In my gut I know he would have lost his eye if not for us. And who knows who would have adopted him if we didn’t.

We went through it all to save his eye. I had to literally beg and cry to get him a sooner appt with the vet ophthalmologist. There are only 2 in all of Monmouth county (and a scarcity in NYC too) and suffice to say the vet ophthalmologist said if I hadn’t brought him in when I did (not on the scheduled day) he would have lost the eye. Mind you I had called every single day for an opening as I knew his eye couldn't last but I couldn't get a sooner appt. So we just brought him in to the hospital one morning first thing and I pleaded for him to be seen by her. At first the staff said there was nothing they could do though they were sympathetic but after I started bawling my eyes out blubbering he was going to lose his eye they took pity and said they would ask her when she came in (as we had come super early) if she could do anything. Thank goodness it worked out . And we had to be vigilant to save it. Took round the clock meds (a number of meds) for weeks and weeks to start seeing improvement. Lol sounds familiar no? Though this time, with RW, I don’t feel as hopeful yet. RW is kicking our proverbial butts.

So no, Greg and I don't regret adopting and saving Oliver. Rather I regret not knowing RW even existed and certainly not having a clue about how awful it is in cats. I come away from this a bit wiser but much more weary as in tired and run down and just praying we can get our cats through this to a happier time.

DH just walked in on me wiping my eyes and crying after reading your reply to Joanne. I told him you are the best person I don't know (lol).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hindsight is a wounderful thing and who knows what direction our lives would have taken without the mistakes along the way

i do learn from my mistakes ...but not usually the first time

without getting too deep and meaningfull ....
I'll never buy anything from the Mall jewler that isn't on sale

and I'll never buy an expensive piece of jewlery without seeking out advice from all of you first

once im working again ill be more careful with money and save more

regrets are not good for mental health, better to own your sins and move forward

@missy Ollie has the best mommy and @Mamabean you are a much better daughter than I

Aww thanks Daisy. I agree regrets are generally not good for our health. Physical as well as mental as they are intertwined. But I also feel it is important to learn from our mistakes so as to at least come away a bit wiser and stronger and perhaps not make the same mistakes again. You know, learning from one's past so as not to repeat (the bad parts) it...someone wise once said something to that effect.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear @Slick1 you know how highly I regard you and how much I care about you. You are a strong person and have been through so much. I am so sorry for all the loss and sadness and hardships. Sending you gentle and warm hugs and much love. XOXO.
And thank you for your kind words. <3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hindsight is always 20/290 but I guess I'll never trust with my whole heart again. Feels sad to say that but the pain of this marriage breakup is something I never want to go through again...

Also will never let anyone else control my finances either! :wall:

I am sorry for all the pain and sadness you went through and hoping happier and more peaceful times are here for you. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your very welcome Slick1
my dad died quite young and when mum went she had lived a long time without him.
mum had demetia so had already left us in a sence some time before
she didn't even look like mum
i wish id never gone to see her looking like grandma, all skin and bone but not even like grandma because grandma still looked like grandma
mum hung on for a long time, eventually i had to fly home and go back to work

my sister had been going to visit mum all day for a couple of weeks and her husband didn't seem to be able to load the dishwasher or put clothes into the washing machine much less put the butter back in the fridge and put the bread and jam away
the dirty washing in the laundry was a foot deep
i did quite a lot of washing and also food shopping for my sister's family i think my mum would have been greatful too

I am sorry Daisy. Life is so hard much of the time. Losing one's parents one of the most stressful experiences especially when young. Dementia is a horrible disease robbing a person of their most precious possession. I am so sorry. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH just walked in on me wiping my eyes and crying after reading your reply to Joanne. I told him you are the best person I don't know (lol).

Dear @Poodles4me aww you are too kind. I just love animals and thank goodness so does Greg. But I could tell stories and sometimes I think what have we gotten ourselves into...for example last night there was a family of raccoons that wouldn't leave the feral cat feeder and lol Greg tried to scare them away by going on the porch and making noise and flicking the light off and on to no avail. Those raccoons are scared of nothing and no one. I am laughing because it was quite the sight. But it was also exhausting and we were tired but he couldn't go to bed til they left the feeder so he could close it. They eat all the food those greedy raccoons when it is meant for the feral cats. I mean we just refill it (the amount of cat food we go through for the outdoor cats is incredible) and all but still those raccoons are way too fat. Or as I like to say, healthy and robust. :lol: As are our feral cats. Knock wood. Now if we could just get our house cats as healthy.:pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think this another thread in need of a group hug
063f6cdf82c50f4a2208f361e8d8bd90.jpg

Absolutely. The power of a hug is strong. It means we are not alone. That others care. Makes a difference.
Can never have too many hugs IMO.
And LOL my group hug is similar to yours. Great minds what can I say. ;-)

20031110-Pooh-Bear-Group-Hug.gif

That Pooh bear gets around. :lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came up with my answer before I read all the other posts and realize mine isn't of the same caliber.

But since I'll always make mistakes with people, money, situations in general - here's the first one that came to mind and is one I can actually control and safely say I will NEVER repeat:

I'll never again take a smoked salmon sandwich anywhere in a handbag and not refrigerate it for the hours before I eat it.

Did it once. Never again. Took about 10 years before I could eat smoked salmon again without retching. There ain't no food poisoning like seafood food poisoning!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I came up with my answer before I read all the other posts and realize mine isn't of the same caliber.

But since I'll always make mistakes with people, money, situations in general - here's the first one that came to mind and is one I can actually control and safely say I will NEVER repeat:

I'll never again take a smoked salmon sandwich anywhere in a handbag and not refrigerate it for the hours before I eat it.

Did it once. Never again. Took about 10 years before I could eat smoked salmon again without retching. There ain't no food poisoning like seafood food poisoning!
Omg @mrs-b Forgive me..but that was my laugh for today! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally agree. Food poisoning especially seafood poisoning is a he** like no other. Been there and did that during our honeymoon no less. One week in Italy (and 2 left to go) and uh oh. Mussels were the culprit probably but I guess I will never know for sure as it was a seafood salad I ordered at lunch in the outdoor cafe. Hit me a few hours later and OMG with such a vengeance and force. Never had food poisoning before and I can say with complete confidence I never want it again. I was afraid I would die and I was afraid I wouldn't die if you KWIM. Both ends were suffering and that is all I will say. It was horrible. I was in pain for at least a week afterwards from the powerful vomiting that occurred. Oops sorry I said no more details.:oops:

Glad you survived your episode @mrs-b and came out better and stronger and smarter for it.::)
I have not had mussels since and that is OK.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mrs. B, not the same, buy my best friend from law school and I went out for sushi one night. I was fine... he was... not... To this day (25+ years later) he can't even imagine so much as one bite passing his lips ever again!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at this thread for the first time. I am sick with a cold and have not been in a good mood. I don't know whether I really mean it, but I yelled at my daughter that if I had it to do over again I would never get married or have children again. I said I didn't know what I was thinking about. I could have been single, worked, and had my privacy....

(My 27 year-old daughter has a boyfriend now, but when he spends the night here she still often ends up in my bed.When he isn't here, she won't leave me alone.)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I got Camphylobacter from a well known salad bar at my local Westfields (large shopping mall) from eating a chicken salad, ended up in hospital and violently ill for 2+ weeks.

That isn't my top regret, I have many more serious ones of those but food poisoning from chicken is up there as well....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay and @arkieb1 -

Food poisoning is a bit like the flu, don't you think? - a lot of people say they have it, but when you *actually* get it, there's no mistaking it.

I ended up in hospital with a second bout of food poisoning a few years back and by the time the ambulance came and got me, I didn't know what day it was. DH was in Vegas on a conference, and I had to call a friend of mine at midnight, and she called the ambulance. My god-daughter had food poisoning 2 weeks ago and she had to be carried to the bathroom, she was so ill. You hear people all the time say "Oh - I think I've got / had food poisoning..." and I always think "Nope. if you have to wonder if you have it, you don't have it!"

@Dee*Jay - your friend has all my sympathies! Seafood, when it's off, is a beast.

@arkieb1 - good old Westfields! I didn't realize they were still around! I used to have to walk through one every day on my way to high school, and going by their level of cleanliness, I'm surprised half of Australia hasn't come down with WIFP! (Westfields-induced food poisoning!)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having my son so young. He was such a perfect child and deserved so much more than I could give him at 19 years old. I wish I could have had him ten years later when I knew more and had more.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just looked at this thread for the first time. I am sick with a cold and have not been in a good mood. I don't know whether I really mean it, but I yelled at my daughter that if I had it to do over again I would never get married or have children again. I said I didn't know what I was thinking about. I could have been single, worked, and had my privacy....

(My 27 year-old daughter has a boyfriend now, but when he spends the night here she still often ends up in my bed.When he isn't here, she won't leave me alone.)
@AGBF You probably meant it at the time...but I’m sure not all the time. They make us crazy...It sounds completely normal to me..I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My biggest regret is being a good daughter, thinking it actually meant something to my parents - how wrong was I?
@Austina I understand...I feel the same way...You were a good daughter because that’s who you are. If you weren’t you probably would feel terrible about it later. At least that’s what I tell myself about my mother.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve never had food poisoning...but now it scares me...haha...I don’t eat seafood..so maybe I’m safe... :shifty:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I was bullied and harassed at work last year. It went on for a long time bc I didn’t understand what was going on and then when I did, my trauma background caused me to freeze up in the abusers presence.

I will never be bullied and harassed again bc I’m gonna shut that sh%t down as soon as it starts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was bullied and harassed at work last year. It went on for a long time bc I didn’t understand what was going on and then when I did, my trauma background caused me to freeze up in the abusers presence.

I will never be bullied and harassed again bc I’m gonna shut that sh%t down as soon as it starts.

I'm sorry you had to go through that and glad you came out even stronger than before.
You rock Begonia.

awesome.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest regret is being a good daughter, thinking it actually meant something to my parents - how wrong was I?

Austina, I am so sorry. I cannot imagine any parent not being over the moon crazy in love with you and so proud of you. You are an amazing woman and a wonderful person. (((HUGS))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry you are sick @AGBF and don't beat yourself up about what you said to your DD. Sometimes we have to get things off our chest. Feel better and (((hugs))).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results