shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes you have stomach pain, gas-buildup and bloating?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
You all seem to know a lot about a lot, so I thought I’d throw a shot into the dark and ask here. I’ve got an appointment with my GP coming up, but in the meantime: I’ve been having stomach aches and I’ve wondered if it’s stress or gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance or or or? No idea. It’s starting to impact my ability to sleep or enjoy my first vacation in two years! I have been to the GP about this in the past but we have never found anything, and it goes away often enough that I forget it’s an issue until it comes back. Is it stress? Am I eating too fast? Are my diamonds too small?

If you have any ideas or personal experience, I’ll take it!

DutchJackie

Rough_Rock
For me it’s often too much sugar, too little fiber, irregular meals or too little exercise. Pick one, a combination or all ;)2

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
My triggers are too much caffeine/irregular eating/and oatmeal ( i get gastritis attacks)

My sister-in-law suffered for a long time and she was finally diagnosed as gluten intolerant.

My son was lactose intolerant with similar symptoms

There are so many common digestive issues

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely diamonds too small. Go bigger and im sure it will go away!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest keeping a daily log for a month, noting down your sleep from night before, the day's meals, beverages & snacks (and time of eating/drinking), any exercise/physical activity, and any symptoms you're feeling.

Make sure the log is in a form that you can bring to your doctor's office.

The log may reveal patterns that relate to your symptoms ... and if it does not, that is also important information for your doctor.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Dairy, coffee, sorbitol and some other sugar alcohols cause me distress.
I can’t even tolerate trace amounts of most dairy products. You might want to try a functional medicine doctor. The tests most gastroenterologists use don’t always catch the problem. However, some of the test that alternative medicine doctors use flag foods as problematic that may not really cause an issue. Some people have luck with a trial of an elimination diet.

By the way, I am not lactose intolerant. I have a cows milk protein allergy. After many years of abstaining from dairy, I found out that I can tolerate any amount of sheep’s cheese. Cheese made from goat’s milk still causes me problems. I also did a trial of A2 milk and seem to tolerate that too.

I know what you’re going through. Good luck!

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
You might also want to look into a low FODMAP diet to see if that helps.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Dairy for me, plus irregular eating for 1-2 days is enough to muck up my digestive system. A heat pad usually helps relieve discomfort for me.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Stress is a big contributor to stomach upset for me. Also, dairy seems to trigger it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pretty much cast iron constitution but as ive got older i cant eat apricots
One of my favourite fruits
i can still eat tinned ones (just as well because 'my' cheeese cake is apricot) but not fresh or dried
very very unpleasant after effects
Makes me a bit sad really
But i know i have nothing to complain about

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you’re going through this.
Stress does that to me.

But, can also be due to food intolerances. Gluten, soy, dairy, legumes, nuts, seeds etc

Also small intestinal bacterial overgrowth can cause those symptoms. As can small intestinal fungal overgrowth.

I’d suggest seeing a gastroenterologist to rule out both SIBO and SIFO.

Also consider an elimination diet to see if certain foods trigger your symptoms.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
For me its black tea unfortunately (I loooove tea.) Its not the caffeine, because I have no problem with green, white and oolongs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You all seem to know a lot about a lot, so I thought I’d throw a shot into the dark and ask here. I’ve got an appointment with my GP coming up, but in the meantime: I’ve been having stomach aches and I’ve wondered if it’s stress or gluten intolerance or dairy intolerance or or or? No idea. It’s starting to impact my ability to sleep or enjoy my first vacation in two years! I have been to the GP about this in the past but we have never found anything, and it goes away often enough that I forget it’s an issue until it comes back. Is it stress? Am I eating too fast? Are my diamonds too small?

If you have any ideas or personal experience, I’ll take it!

I think its a good thing you are going to see the GP
He / she can rule out all the bad stuff
Best wishes its something relatively easy to rectify
20 years ago when my friend was diagnosed a celliact (excusee spelling ) it was really terrible to try to buy anything useful let alone tasty
i remenber the final straw was beer
Floods of tears over not having a beer at the end of the day
but nowdays the range of GF everything is huge - which is just as well as one of her daughters has it too

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Artificial sweeteners for me- If I chew a few sticks of gum that’s enough to do it!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
For me its black tea unfortunately (I loooove tea.) Its not the caffeine, because I have no problem with green, white and oolongs.

Interesting! I will try green instead of my daily black.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
For me it’s often too much sugar, too little fiber, irregular meals or too little exercise. Pick one, a combination or all ;)2

Healthy living is a good cure for many things… I’ll try it!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest keeping a daily log for a month, noting down your sleep from night before, the day's meals, beverages & snacks (and time of eating/drinking), any exercise/physical activity, and any symptoms you're feeling.

Make sure the log is in a form that you can bring to your doctor's office.

The log may reveal patterns that relate to your symptoms ... and if it does not, that is also important information for your doctor.

Such a good idea. With two jobs and two small children I resist doing this but I may have to…

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Dairy, coffee, sorbitol and some other sugar alcohols cause me distress.
I can’t even tolerate trace amounts of most dairy products. You might want to try a functional medicine doctor. The tests most gastroenterologists use don’t always catch the problem. However, some of the test that alternative medicine doctors use flag foods as problematic that may not really cause an issue. Some people have luck with a trial of an elimination diet.

By the way, I am not lactose intolerant. I have a cows milk protein allergy. After many years of abstaining from dairy, I found out that I can tolerate any amount of sheep’s cheese. Cheese made from goat’s milk still causes me problems. I also did a trial of A2 milk and seem to tolerate that too.

I know what you’re going through. Good luck!

Thank you for the ideas and commiserarion

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry you’re going through this.
Stress does that to me.

But, can also be due to food intolerances. Gluten, soy, dairy, legumes, nuts, seeds etc

Also small intestinal bacterial overgrowth can cause those symptoms. As can small intestinal fungal overgrowth.

I’d suggest seeing a gastroenterologist to rule out both SIBO and SIFO.

Also consider an elimination diet to see if certain foods trigger your symptoms.

Thank you for these ideas :)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Really!! How long does the discomfort last?
It will last the rest of the day. Bloating, lots of gas and I usually end up needing to use the restroom a few times :/

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May be Irritable Bowel Syndrome (a/k/a "spastic colon")?

It's no longer a chronic condition for me as it was when I was going through my divorce (IBS is definitely stress-related for me), but I'll still occasionally experience a flare-up, most typically after holiday meals when I've eaten more, and richer, food than is my norm.

Hope you're able to soon get a handle on it!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
It will last the rest of the day. Bloating, lots of gas and I usually end up needing to use the restroom a few times :/

Wish me luck that green tea is the cure! And thanks for sharing.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
May be Irritable Bowel Syndrome (a/k/a "spastic colon")?

It's no longer a chronic condition for me as it was when I was going through my divorce (IBS is definitely stress-related for me), but I'll still occasionally experience a flare-up, most typically after holiday meals when I've eaten more, and richer, food than is my norm.

Hope you're able to soon get a handle on it!

This seems most likely! Maybe I’ll have to start yoga again, and get the stress down.

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
My husband struggled with this for several Years. We FINALLY figured it out after a few doctors, 2 different medications, an endoscopy, eliminating coffee, tea, dairy, gluten, rice and so on.

His gastroenterologist suggested he try a Low Fodmap Diet. We ultimately landed on peppers, onions and garlic were the culprit. We cooked or ate both raw several times a week. Once everything calmed down, he was able to add them back in sparingly With a couple days in between servings to allow the inflammation to go down before adding a high fodmap food back in.

He has had nothing but minor symptoms for a year now.

Hope you feel better soon!
~M~

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
My husband struggled with this for several Years. We FINALLY figured it out after a few doctors, 2 different medications, an endoscopy, eliminating coffee, tea, dairy, gluten, rice and so on.

His gastroenterologist suggested he try a Low Fodmap Diet. We ultimately landed on peppers, onions and garlic were the culprit. We cooked or ate both raw several times a week. Once everything calmed down, he was able to add them back in sparingly With a couple days in between servings to allow the inflammation to go down before adding a high fodmap food back in.

He has had nothing but minor symptoms for a year now.

Hope you feel better soon!
~M~

Wow thank you for sharing this! I am going to look into this a lot.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gluten
Dairy
Alcohol
Chocolate
Not enough water
Raw kale
Stress
Pressure only belly (I have issues with my back and occasionally wear an elastic wrap back support)

....but I have Crohn's disease, so anything out of balance will set it off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results