shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes these stones so different?

Adam450

Rough_Rock
In my searching I came across what I thought were two very similar diamonds - one from WF and one from BGD.
Both are H, SI1, eye-clean (I asked) and in the same carat range (.533 and .544) with very similar diameters.

However, one is priced $400 more than the other, which is 25%!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366051
&
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2632178.htm

Both have an HCA < 2, and both have an AGA cut class grade 1A I believe. So why is the $$/ct 3327 for the BGD one and only 2634 from WF? Is WF just that much cheaper? I realize that the WF one is not in their signature line where as the BGD one is part of their signature line. That seems like an extreme premium, especially when both diamonds seem to score similarly!

After seeing these two I am unsure of what to do! I liked the BGD one but don't want to overpay by 20%!? Help and advice please. :confused: :-o :(sad I really do appreciate it!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Two things come to mind. The first is that the WF stone is their Expert Selection. Their ACAs would be apples to applies with the BG Signature stone. Also their operation costs could differ and, therefore, contribute to pricing differences.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto - depends on how important high optical symmetry that results in those picture perfect hearts and arrows patterns you see in photos is to *you*.

To some it is very important and worth any premium.
To some it is worth a premium of $X.
To some it isn't worth a premium.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
It could be a combination of different factors...when the diamond came into inventory, hearts premium...etc. I would pick the WF one if it is eye-clean to your requirements.

Adam450

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty new to diamonds (ok very new) so while I know I'm comfortable with an H and a basic eye-clean SI1, the cut is harder for me to determine. Not sure what level of perfection I prefer. I know she really loves the classic truth setting, so there's a plus for BGD. To modify the sleek like legato setting from Whiteflash would cancel out any savings I might get on the diamond I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results