shape
carat
color
clarity

what makes side baguettes so delicate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
I have read a few posts that tapered baquettes are delicate and can fall out or split. I am just wondering what makes them less durable than other styles? Is pave more or less durable?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
A baguette in itself a bit more fragile than other diamond shapes - since it's long and thin, it's easier to hit it along the least resistant dimension than a round which by definition is equally thick everywhere! However I've never heard of a baguette "splitting" unless subjected to a fair amount of brute force.

On the falling out (and the pave) question - it all depends on the setting style and the craftsmanship. I have some pave rings from the 1920-1930s that are still with all their original stones. Clearly they haven't been worn every day for 80 or 90 years, but...

Again - since a baguette is long and thin (and possibly tapered), if you go for a delicate setting like a bar it's easier for the stone to slip out. A more secure setting (prongs or bezel) will be safer but it may also remove some of the 'dainty' look.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an EC my mom gave me set with tapered baguettes on either side, and wore it for years with no troubles whatsoever. As long as you have a reputable/capable jeweler set your stones, I think you will be fine.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going on two years of wearing pretty much 24/7 and have never had a problem with my tapered side stones. I also have never had a problem with my pave stones. I believe that it''s all in the quality of the setting.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The quality of the setting and how your treat the stones, I thinks that''s what matter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results