shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes a padparadcha sapphire

ioannis

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dear colleagues what makes a padparadcha sapphire meaning which are the standarts used by the labs in order to give this name to the gem?
Is it only the combination of intense orangy pink in combination with sri lanka origin or are there other standarts?
Thank you in advance

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I don't believe origin is involved, just the colour

ioannis

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just orangy pink???i ask that because i have seen gia certificates mentioning color as orangy pink but not"""padparadcha"" origin

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
"Have to have" both Orange and Pink present, however minimal.
Pinkish Orange color will also work I think.

pa211_gia_padparadscha_sapphire_certificate.jpg

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Sri Lanka is the original source as the term was originally coined from. But eventually there is the one called African Pad which is darker version and lack the softness that of Sri Lankan

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Within pad itself, I believe there are ranges and variations. In blue sapphire, there is a trade term called Cornflower, Royal which describe the differences in these blues.
In Pad the reference is the Lotus flower, if I were to base it in the picture in the report, the color on both orange and pink is faint, almost non existent: you are right, it looks almost clear. Of course we would love to be graded Pad that sells 5-10 times the pink sapphire price. Even the African pad, a lot of connoisseurs think that they are not a real pad due to the darker hue. Worth to mention different labs have different standards in their reports and grades. Perhaps different labs would grade this stone as Pad: Colored stones are harder to grade than colorless diamonds.
In FCDs we have, Fancy Light, Fancy, Intense, Vivid, I am not sure why we do not have that in CS. It is either Pad or no Pad.
Go figure :wall:

roughsapp.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can't make that generalization that Pads from Africa are darker and lack the softness in Pads from Sri Lanka. There are variations of colors in sapphires from every location. R. Wise had told me once that the nicest pad he had seen was one from Africa. There are stones with good color from each location, and stones with poor color from each location.

Here is how Gem-E-Wizard describes the color of Pad sapphire. These would be the trade preference, your own preference in color is at liberty to vary. Buy what you like, and like what you buy.

padsapphirecolor1.png

padsapphirecolor2.png

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I agree. Just like the Burmese rubies.

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Great article!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results