shape
carat
color
clarity

What lengths do Maggies come in?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I am 5''8" and I tried a "regular" length Maggie on last week and I swear I needed 3" heels to put the dress even with the floor. Thus, I thought I''d just go ahead and order the petite length seeing as tho I want to wear flats for the wedding......but when I call about that, they say petite lengths fit a 5"5 or 5"6'' bride. That certainly won''t work.

So, either the regular length dress I tried on was not right in some way or....well....I just don''t know. Based on my that experience last week. it seems regular length maggies are cut for a 6" bride so a petite lenght would be perfect for me at 5"8.........but that doesn''t seem to be what other shops are saying.

Is there a long lenght as well? Perhaps that is the length I tried on that needed 3" heels?

Thanks for any guidance. I may be ordering online and I just really do NOT want to alter the length if I don''t have to.....I feel it offsets the waistline too much and makes me look more short-waisted than I already am.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Or......when you purchased your Maggie gown, if you ordered a regular length, how tall are you flat footed and how much did you have to get hemmed off or how high are your shoes?

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps the petite is based on a 5''6 bride wearing a 2" or average heal. Most brides would wear heals. How can 5''6 be petite anyhow? what happens to all the 5 nothing brides?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Cheeky~ I absolutley did not think of that!! oi I bet I would be better off ordering a petite length then since I''m going with flats :) If they are made for 5"5-ers, then with 3" heels, that would put them right at my height.....and probably what the petite length is cut for. yay!! thank you!

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a Maggie petite length dress. I am somewhere between 5''5" to 5''6" and when I tried on the sample petite, I had to wear 3 inch heels to have the length be perfect. So if you are 5''8" I would assume that you will be fine in petite length with 1 inch heels or flats. Is there a store around you that carries petite length samples so you can see for yourself?

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I would also ask at a bridal salon about how they do their sizing so you know for sure. I bought a Maggie dress in 2004 and I am pretty sure that they didn''t have choices of length at the time. I am 5''4" and did have to adjust the length of the dress quite a bit!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
elequin~ thank you for easing my mind a bit! I am visiting salons today and will inquire about that.

thank you to everyone for your responses :)

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
Keep in mind with the lengths that is always best to buy the length suggested by the manufacturer and then hem it if necessary. I am 6 feet tall and I ordered a long dress which was 5 inches longer than the regular. The 5 inches though was proportional so it had a longer torso. I still had to hem it a good 3 inches. It you order a petite dress it might be too short for your torso. Just a thought...
Nicole

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I went to try on some more Maggies today :) And the shop I picked had several petite length gowns on hand. I tried on the Pia and loved it!! What''s wonderful about it is I won''t have to alter it at all. Just a bustle!! :) The torso really looked great so I can''t say I noticed the waist being too short. Maybe I''m a bit short waisted anyway. I''ll have to wear 1" heels but that''s fine with me.

Anyway, I wanted to say that if you are about my height (5"8'') and do not want to wear high heels or have to alter the hem, then the petitie length seems like a real option.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
I know I''m a lil late to this thread but my maggio gown is a petite. I am around 5''1-5''2 so I needed a P, and it''s still too long! Hehe. Luckily all the alterations I will need is in the length. The back is corset and laces up.

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
I am 5''8" and I ordered a maggie... it works for me in 2" heels.

However, a word of advice... knowing how hard it is to find clothes (do no women''s pants come in anything longer than a 32" inseam??) I would NEVER order anything that could possibly be too short.

I tried on plenty of dresses (not all maggie) and many of them would have been too short, even with flats. I would have had to order extra length in lots of dresses.

Worst comes to worst, you get a dress hemmed! Unless it has some sort of hem that is really difficult to do, I would not risk it!! As someone else mentioned, petite/regular/tall often changes the way it fits on the torso. And it is MUCH easier to shorten a hem than to try to make a bodice fit correctly. Odd are, you will have to have alterations anyway, with weight loss/gain, trying it on with the correct bra/underwear... really, what is a hem? There''s no way you can lengthen that dress if it comes in and it''s too short!

good luck on your choice!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 4:23:47 AM
Author: ocbride2007
I am 5''8'' and I ordered a maggie... it works for me in 2'' heels.

However, a word of advice... knowing how hard it is to find clothes (do no women''s pants come in anything longer than a 32'' inseam??) I would NEVER order anything that could possibly be too short.

I tried on plenty of dresses (not all maggie) and many of them would have been too short, even with flats. I would have had to order extra length in lots of dresses.

Worst comes to worst, you get a dress hemmed! Unless it has some sort of hem that is really difficult to do, I would not risk it!! As someone else mentioned, petite/regular/tall often changes the way it fits on the torso. And it is MUCH easier to shorten a hem than to try to make a bodice fit correctly. Odd are, you will have to have alterations anyway, with weight loss/gain, trying it on with the correct bra/underwear... really, what is a hem? There''s no way you can lengthen that dress if it comes in and it''s too short!

good luck on your choice!
Octbride~ funny you just posted this because I had a huge dose of paranoia all last night after I came down from by dress-buying cloud a little. I tried on a good 5 or 6 petite length maggies and each of them fell slightly different from the others. Three were perfect with my flat ballet shoes that I brought with me and the others would have needed an 1" or maybe less hemmed (or higher heeled shoes). The variation is actually something MS adresses by disclaiming that every dress can vary by up to 1" (long or short)
32.gif
. This worries me endlessly. With my luck, I''ll get the petite lenght that is 1" inch too short even with flats on. Plus, you''re right what''s getting a hem if it means I don''t fret for 4 months about having an ankle lenght gown?! Plus, the torso (and I swear I don''t see the diff) may actually be placed lower and thus elongate my otherwise short waist. No bad turnouts this way at all
28.gif

So I have been calling the bridal shop since 8am this morning, hoping they come in early and pick up the phone (or check thier machine) so that I can catch the owner before she makes her order! They don''t open until 11am so I''m hoping that by starting early, I catch her if she has a habit of placing orders before opeining for a busy Friday.

Right now I have a petite officially on order unless this tactic works.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results