shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of stones is this one???

gemcuba

Rough_Rock
I've got this ring and I'd like to know what stone is this...The ring (stone inclusive) it's about 20gr of solid 18k yellow gold, it belong to my granfather, and before, to his father, it is in my family since 1920, now it's mine and want to know everything about it. The stone dimensions 16mm x 11mm x 8mm deep, and emerald cut, now, the most impresive is the color change from blue, to strong or soft pink, and sometimes greenish blue, see the pics, the first and second, it's a general view of the ring, 3, it's at opend sky daylinght, in shadow( not in sunlight), 4 same, 5 and 6 it's inside home under fluorecent light( looks blue), 7,8, and 9 it's inside under incandescent light, night lamp near my bed...,I know, the natural step is send or go to a jewelry, but..., I live in Cuba and it's very hard to find a trustly place where a can send the ring, so I preffer do it by myself, any help will be appreciate, thank's. 1_70.jpg 2_37.jpg 3_44.jpg 4_15.jpg 5_15.jpg 6_9.jpg 7_8.jpg 8_6.jpg 9_5.jpg

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
It could be Amethyst, or Synthetic Sapphire.
Synthetic has been around since the late 1800's.
You will need to get it tested locally as it is to hard to determine from pics

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic alexandrite or synthetic sapphire used as an alexandrite simulant would be my guess as you mention it has a color change to it.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope, GemCuba. I don't know what stone is in your fathers ring, but I have to say that your ring is a work of art. I love the scrolls and flowers. And the buttery yellow gold is so gorgeous. Even if you find out that the stone is a fake I hope it won't diminish your enjoyment of your family's ring.

Best regards,
Patty

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Enjoy the ring. Please understand that, even if the stone is lab created, it's still a real beautiful stone, being man made it loses the rarity value a natural stone has. If its synthetic alexandrite it will chemically be the same a a a natural stone. A gemologist can differentiate between man made and natural, but the average person can't, except in cases where the man made is too perfect.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say the design of that ring is beautiful! looks handcarved.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1471464636|4066998 said:
Just wanted to say the design of that ring is beautiful! looks handcarved.
Oh absolutely the ring looks gorgeous. Plus when this ring was made synthetic stones where my viewed quite the way they are today. Still I bet at the time was a very fine peice of jewelry even if it is a synthetic stone.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Despite the strong possibility that it is synthetic I would like to echo others sentiments and say it is a very attractive piece of jewelry.

gemcuba

Rough_Rock
Very thank´s to all for so many kind comments, I really apreciate thats, plus, when this become my first post. Even in case of the stone be a fake, or synthetic, is, as you said, a piece of art and was part of my family goods for the last 100 years. So now, I have a couple of questions, the imitation gems or synthetic was produced so early as 20's of last century?? Maybe I'm focus to his reality, I mean, this is not the only piece that I inherit, I got another one (big one too) a splendid work, with almost 0.60ct brillants...., My brother, who live in Mexico for the last 10 years, keep for himself (and I was very happy) the royal piece of my garndpa collection, a simple ring of 18kt rose gold with a center ruby 0.90ct and it was valored in a specialized center in Mexico in about 4000 usd,I have another one with 7,0ct Aquamarine and 2.0ct white sapphire, for this one, I found the original certificate from the seller, dated in Havana, May 16, 1927 with total descripcion, wheight, materials, design, and price, and a couple more, of pieces and detalis, so I mean, in so splendid lot, and it will be a stone fake??,my grandmother always said that the ring of the photo, her father in law bought to a russian merchant, I don't know..., I guess that I will need to take to a gemologist and leave doubts out, next winter I will fly to St Petersburg, Rusia,(God will), maybe I decide and take it with me to the right place....,

best regards to all of you.....

Janet Alfonso

Rough_Rock
Hi to all, I don´t know what stone is your ring, but,.., for sure is russian 100%. I was reffer to this site by the person who used to represent me in auctions, he saw the post and talk to me. In the 90´s I adquired my own in Moscow, I paid for it 6000 usd more or less, it´s the twin brother of yours, only the stone and cut are different, it have a vintage aquamarine, certificated by GIA as natural beryl, not irradiated, blob.jpg blob.jpg blob.jpg blob.jpg blob.jpg 16.35ct, and by AGL(American Gemological Laboratories) as country of origin: Russia's Ural Mountains mines..., so,...!!! It´s a explendid work, the whole ring weight 21.45 gr, it´s stamped at the base with St Petersburg city mark, 72 zolotnik, similar to 18 kt standard gold, very unusual at russian work period, and maker’s initials I.P, cyrillic letters, for Julius Rappoport, who eventually work for Karl Faberge.I order a few year ago a research in Faberge´s accounting book, after they went translate to english, waiting for a match to description, but it takes so long, and it was very expensive, so I stopped after 6 month. Let me tell you something, in almost 40 year in bussiness I don´t ever seen another one, until now..., so, congratulations!!! I recomend to you a serious invetigation, who knows....
Sorry for my english

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool to find a twin ring! I hope the original poster sees this and reports back on what he or she has found out about their ring!

Thank you, Janet, for posting!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings. Jewelry you inherit or that family members give to you are so special. The goldsmith was obviously very talented.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results