shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of sapphire is this?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A jeweler in Montreal posted this. I commented asking what kind of sapphire she is using, waiting for an answer

Meanwhile, anyone able to identify it? I haven't seen anything like it.
Screenshot_20240314-160752.png

I thought it might be carved at first, but yeah, it looks like a shard that has been lightly worked (rounded edges). I feel like I can see where the sliver was separated via conchoidal fracture from the rest of the crystal. In any event, it sounds like the stone has special meaning to her since she may have "mined" it herself.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah yes! She told me it's a rough stone?.so...she.will set it as such or... Get it faceted?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would cost way more to get to Thailand than to purchase that. Unless it was a work trip. And it looks goofy with those tiny, precise trilliants at jaunty angles. @musicloveranthony already expressed it more diplomatically than I can.

I think it would cost way more to get to Thailand than to purchase that. Unless it was a work trip. And it looks goofy with those tiny, precise trilliants at jaunty angles. @musicloveranthony already expressed it more diplomatically than I can.

I don't understand these types of projects either (especially since she said it's her dream ring). And I don't think it's a budgetary concern, as you mentioned. I try to withhold judgment... to each their own and all that. But I'm always relieved when someone else says it plainly.
222ball.gif

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I think she'll leave it, too. Otherwise why would she put it next to the side diamonds she has selected for it?

In any case, beauty is subjective and jewellery is incredibly personal. Monetary value sometimes plays no role at all, especially when sentimentality is involved. This stone, for whatever reason, may mean the world to her and in that it is beautiful and precious.

Just think about it... if you had a piece with enormous sentimental value, and someone came and offered to take it and in return give you some rock worth 10 million... would you take the trade? I personally don't think I could.

Just think about it... if you had a piece with enormous sentimental value, and someone came and offered to take it and in return give you some rock worth 10 million... would you take the trade? I personally don't think I could.

If my dearly departed grandmother gave it to me... yep, I'm right there with ya. If I bought it at a gem show on a work trip (as she did), give me the 10 million! :P2

I'm teasing, of course. I totally get where you're coming from and wholeheartedly agree.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
If my dearly departed grandmother gave it to me... yep, I'm right there with ya. If I bought it at a gem show on a work trip (as she did), give me the 10 million! :P2

Funny thing, when I was writing this I was thinking precisely of two rings I have from my dearly departed grandmother. :D Could not for the life of me part with them.

And who knows, maybe it wasn’t just a work trip… maybe there was a passionate love story somewhere in there… a short lived vacation romance that burns eternally in one’s soul… :love:

And who knows, maybe it wasn’t just a work trip… maybe there was a passionate love story somewhere in there… a short lived vacation romance that burns eternally in one’s soul… :love:

Oh man, I had one of those! He was the valet at a hotel in Disney. lol I was 16 and he was 25, so it didn't go beyond a feverish flirtation (ok and one kiss). But he had these light yellow-green eyes and dark skin... I was mesmerized! Now I wish I had a gem to commemorate the "affair." :lol:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just think about it... if you had a piece with enormous sentimental value, and someone came and offered to take it and in return give you some rock worth 10 million..

Every one of my departed relatives would scream "For the love of G_d, take the freakin' money!!" Mostly my Dad, but he left almost zero mementos, sadly. It's part of the reason I have a few rings and one respectable automatic watch.

Every one of my departed relatives would scream "For the love of G_d, take the freakin' money!!" Mostly my Dad, but he left almost zero mementos, sadly. It's part of the reason I have a few rings and one respectable automatic watch.

My mom is SO unsentimental. :shock: I don't know where I came from. Every time she and my father travel, she says the same thing. "Remember, if the plane goes down, we have aero insurance through AmEx... be sure to collect it." Thanks, ma! I'm sure that would be my very first thought and a lovely consolation for losing both parents in a fiery aviation catastrophe.

Sorry for the
threadhighjack.gif
OP!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results