shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of jewelry box do you have?

I use plastic boxes with customizable dividers that you can get at any corner store basically. I usually line them with some soft fabric (glued on) so that my pieces don’t get scratched. They’re stackable, see through, and inexpensive.

I don’t ever keep original boxes because they’re always so bulky and I don’t plan to resell.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you! These are great options! Heading to Amazon now........

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of having a proper jewelry box, but I also love what I am currently using. I bought a very tarnished silver tray at an antique store in Savannah, Georgia with my best friend. It was sold to me as a "Moroccan tea tray". I brought it home and polished it, and it is gorgeous. I just lay my necklaces and bracelets on the tray. For earrings and rings, I use a little round ceramic dish with my initial on it, which was a gift from my best friend.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just moved from a standing jewelry armoire to a huge wall mirror jewelry cabinet. I gifted the armoire to my daughter and included lots of fun costume with it that I used to wear when I worked. I thought the wall one would have loads more space but it doesn’t really seem to except for ring space. The bracelet and earring storage is frustrating as well - I’m going to be modifying it. Lucky for me DH is very handy. 4FB3DBA3-C902-480B-B06E-1B41329DEB6E.jpeg A2EFA2D5-DF53-4CCB-A2BB-F6382FD3C7A9.jpeg 2183992D-7C72-4F04-AA61-A559DE1C7857.jpeg Old cabinet

I love this mirror idea - I don't have room for something like this (we have no wall space), but if I did I would get one like this. Genius!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so pretty!

Thank you! My husband bought it for me one year for Christmas, and said it was a gift for both of us, so my jewelry wouldn't be ALL over the house anymore. That's only half way true now - most of it makes it into the armoire, but there's still a little ring bowl by the sink too :P2

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have a custom Bell & Bird box. They no longer do custom, unfortunately.

1596874453784.jpeg

Oh gosh I love this! I wish they still did custom. If you ever hear that they've started doing it again, please let me know because I want one!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh I love this! I wish they still did custom. If you ever hear that they've started doing it again, please let me know because I want one!

I emailed with the owner and she said that it wasn’t really sustainable to continue in the box business, so now they only make them to go with custom jewelry orders. They had some extra available a few months back and I bought one, but I ended up returning it because the craftsmanship wasn’t on par with my custom orders. It’s like it was Victor Canera-quality before, but now it’s Daniel M.

The owner said she would talk to the box maker about that.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t have a safe so I keep my jewelry in a quilted jewelry clutch..It’s amazing how much I can pack in that thing. I like that it’s portable...I take it with me when I go to my other house. I keep it in a place in my house that I think is pretty safe from thieves if they ever get in here. I don’t have a safe but lots of cameras so I’m not too worried..One day when we move I will get a floor bolted safe..I’ll get my pretty jewelry box then.
7AA209EB-4EDB-4CE6-B1A0-6153226A55FC.jpeg 1FEDA3EB-4F9F-4869-9D8D-75FBD0AC7A51.jpeg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I emailed with the owner and she said that it wasn’t really sustainable to continue in the box business, so now they only make them to go with custom jewelry orders. They had some extra available a few months back and I bought one, but I ended up returning it because the craftsmanship wasn’t on par with my custom orders. It’s like it was Victor Canera-quality before, but now it’s Daniel M.

The owner said she would talk to the box maker about that.

Good to know, thanks.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm using trays from a fancy lacquer jewelry box in my safes. They have a nice organization and I can see everything at a glance.

We got burglarized 12/27 and they didn't find the safes, but they found every single hiding space in my house.

I had taken out some jewelry and didn't have time to lock everything away (there's advantages and disadvantages of a well hidden safe - accessibility being one in my case) . It was the holidays, I had gotten some family jewelry out on request by my MIL and then we had to leave abruptly to an emergency dental appointment with my DD. Then we decided to stay in town to see Christmas displays.

So I just left my jewelry box out as usual.
I thought they might not destroy everything, thinking they found the good stuff.
Wrong.
They found my watch in a book behind the sink in my bedroom, they totally searched fridge and freezers, the whole kitchen, bathrooms, you NAME it.
They found the hidden compartment in my antique (1750ies) desk, they opened drawers and little nooks that I hadn't even thought of .

According to police and experts they weren't inside longer than 20-25 minutes. They weren't pros equipped to try and open a safe. Just dsmall fish disgusting burglars.

I still keep the "decoy" Box out, but I'd recommend a safe to everyone

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hang my ring from a rusty old nail I hammered into the wall.

Simple, free, works fine.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ISO: large, combo lock safe.
For now, I use the engraved, musical jewelry box DH gave me on our wedding day; it plays our wedding song every time I open it. I keep all of my favorite pieces in there. ♥️
I have wooden and small sterling silver boxes I use for my fashion pieces.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm using trays from a fancy lacquer jewelry box in my safes. They have a nice organization and I can see everything at a glance.

We got burglarized 12/27 and they didn't find the safes, but they found every single hiding space in my house.

I had taken out some jewelry and didn't have time to lock everything away (there's advantages and disadvantages of a well hidden safe - accessibility being one in my case) . It was the holidays, I had gotten some family jewelry out on request by my MIL and then we had to leave abruptly to an emergency dental appointment with my DD. Then we decided to stay in town to see Christmas displays.

I thought they might not destroy everything, thinking they found the good stuff.
Wrong.
They found my watch in a book behind the sink in my bedroom, they totally searched fridge and freezers, the whole kitchen, bathrooms, you NAME it.
They found the hidden compartment in my antique (1750ies) desk, they opened drawers and little nooks that I hadn't even thought of .

According to police and experts they weren't inside longer than 20-25 minutes. They weren't pros equipped to try and open a safe. Just dsmall fish disgusting burglars.

So sorry this happened to you, how awful.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure. It’s just plain navy on the exterior. There are no hidden interior compartments beyond what you see when it’s open.
DE2E8BAB-EB1F-4954-A723-FA9597A66A44.jpeg

Clean, sleek, gorgeous!! ❤

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don’t really have jewelry boxes, just little ring stands etc on my nightstand when I take off what I’m wearing to go to sleep. I have “secret” built in lined jewelry drawers in my armoires for mostly costume jewelry, but I do plan to get something I can put in a safe for my fine jewelry. 8F567A06-E38E-4B2E-BC72-11BF8802F25D.jpeg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, @kipari I'm so sorry to read your post. My apartment was burgled some years back, before I started collecting any jewelry of real value, but they took EVERYTHING. Every sentimental thing I had spent my life collecting. The only piece of jewelry I had inherited from my Grandmother. Every piece I had collected in my travels. Even the worthless pieces. It was gutting. And yeah, to say they tore the place to smithereens would be an understatement.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @kipari I'm so sorry to read your post. My apartment was burgled some years back, before I started collecting any jewelry of real value, but they took EVERYTHING. Every sentimental thing I had spent my life collecting. The only piece of jewelry I had inherited from my Grandmother. Every piece I had collected in my travels. Even the worthless pieces. It was gutting. And yeah, to say they tore the place to smithereens would be an understatement.

I'm sorry you went through this, @ikolarik ((hugs))

And yes, the sentimental pieces are the worst. And all the collateral damage and the work getting that place in order again.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my good jewelry lives in the safe which is fireproof and bolted to something or other so it can't easily be carried away. I have a cute pink suede jewelry box for costume pieces.
20200825_195138.jpg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Wrong.

I'm so sorry for your loss and the invasion of your space. People who steal and vandalize are disgusting.

I really need a safe. I've never looked into it before. Do you or anyone else have any tips on finding or vetting companies to install one?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I know I need a safe! I think we will move and downsize in 5-10 years so I really wanted to wait until the final move. I don't want the hassle of moving a safe that is bolted down.

Anyway, right now I have most of my pearl jewelry in the medium Stackers, but that is because I rarely wear any of it and don't care to have it in my main jewelry box. Because jewelry boxes can be heavy, I use a medium Wolf box for my platinum and white gold jewelry, and I will get another for my yellow gold and Van Cleef jewelry. That way I can at least hide them in two different places, although that sounds less appealing after reading @kipari 's horrible story (so sorry!).

Here's my new Wolf Caroline box. It has a top tray and two drawers. Oh, and I was watching for a sale, checking Amazon, and I happened to find an amazing sale and best prices one day on Overstock.com, so I ordered it immediately. So by all means, check Amazon and Overstock as well as the Wolf site as they have occasional sales, too. I think they are very nice quality for the
price.

IMG-4170.jpg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I know I need a safe! I think we will move and downsize in 5-10 years so I really wanted to wait until the final move. I don't want the hassle of moving a safe that is bolted down.

Anyway, right now I have most of my pearl jewelry in the medium Stackers, but that is because I rarely wear any of it and don't care to have it in my main jewelry box. Because jewelry boxes can be heavy, I use a medium Wolf box for my platinum and white gold jewelry, and I will get another for my yellow gold and Van Cleef jewelry. That way I can at least hide them in two different places, although that sounds less appealing after reading @kipari 's horrible story (so sorry!).

Here's my new Wolf Caroline box. It has a top tray and two drawers. Oh, and I was watching for a sale, checking Amazon, and I happened to find an amazing sale and best prices one day on Overstock.com, so I ordered it immediately. So by all means, check Amazon and Overstock as well as the Wolf site as they have occasional sales, too. I think they are very nice quality for the
price.

IMG-4170.jpg

Goodness, @diamonseeker everyone knows your breathtaking collection. I hope you don't mind sharing my opinon in this , but what I'd do is buy a small safe for the jewelry only. We bought two high quality small ones and bolted them down.

Cost was very reasonable (1.5 k each) and that way no tradespeople to know where they are.
They were heavy but manageably manoeuvreabke by DH and myself on one of those rolling boards.
The equipment to bolt and instructions were in the package.

I'll just leave them in the house if we ever sell.

Police and the insurance expert who came confirmed me what I have been told by a safety advisor before:

*don't read if the thought of being the victim of burglary will give you anxiety!!!!! *

95 % of burglars (I'm in Europe, not the US, so take it with a grain of salt!) are professional only in the sense that it's their "income or job" to break into homes.
They are in and out in about 20 minutes. They destroy everything while frantically searching, but won't take bulky stuff that will hinder their getaway.

*If* you're targeted by people who are willing and equipped to take on a safe, because they know that there's a lot of jewelry or cash in a house or office, they are Ocean''s 11 type criminals and then you're in a completely different kind of trouble already.

They will be able to open most any kind of safe eventually. You're just buying time with a higher end model. If you encounter them you will just want to give them the keys. No matter how well armed you might be.

That's what they've told me. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate, but in my case it was true.

So it does make sense to buy a small safe for 1-2 k, hide and bolt down yourself. Just for the jewelry.

That said....
Then you'll definitely need to lock in your stuff, which was my personal failure.

But they didn't take any of my really expensive stuff: e-ring, 3.71 CT ACC, all my earrings, good WSS and Akoya and Tahitian pearl necklaces, bands etc were spared because of that.

I am very grateful for that. It was just so unfortunate that I had taken out several sentimental pieces and then we had to leave spontaneously . I had 4 house guests on Christmas Eve, 15 guests on the 25th, 15 guests on the 26 the and was expecting another 6 guests on the 28th, so the emergency dental appointment wasn't planned for... I'm not beating myself up for not locking the stuff in, because that's just life. My dd s toothache is just a case of life happens...

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, @diamonseeker everyone knows your breathtaking collection. I hope you don't mind sharing my opinon in this , but what I'd do is buy a small safe for the jewelry only. We bought two high quality small ones and bolted them down.

Cost was very reasonable (1.5 k each) and that way no tradespeople to know where they are.
They were heavy but manageably manoeuvreabke by DH and myself on one of those rolling boards.

Police and the insurance expert who came confirmed me what I have been told by a safety advisor before:

*don't read if the thought of being the victim of burglary will give you anxiety!!!!! *

95 % of burglars (I'm in Europe, not the US, so take it with a grain of salt!) are professional only in the sense that it's their "income or job" to break into homes.
They are in and out in about 20 minutes. They destroy everything while frantically searching, but won't take bulky stuff that will hinder their getaway.

*If* you're targeted by people who are willing and equipped to take on a safe, because they know that there's a lot of jewelry or cash in a house or office, they are Ocean''s 11 type criminals and then you're in a completely different kind of trouble already.

They will be able to open most any kind of safe eventually. You're just buying time with a higher end model. If you encounter them you will just want to give them the keys. No matter how well armed you might be.

That's what they've told me. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate, but in my case it was true.

So it does make sense to buy a small safe for 1-2 k, hide and bolt down yourself. Just for the jewelry.

That said....
Then you'll definitely need to lock in your stuff, which was my personal failure.

But they didn't take any of my really expensive stuff: e-ring, 3.71 CT ACC, all my earrings, good WSS and Akoya and Tahitian pearl necklaces, bands etc were spared because of that.

I am very grateful for that. It was just so unfortunate that I had taken out several sentimental pieces and then we had to leave spontaneously . I had 4 house guests on Christmas Eve, 15 guests on the 25th, 15 guests on the 26 the and was expecting another 6 guests on the 28th, so the emergency dental appointment wasn't planned for... I'm not beating myself up for not locking the stuff in, because that's just life. My dd s toothache is just a case of life happens...

I’m so sorry about all of this. I agree completely with your entire post.

For a seasoned professional criminal probably nothing will stop them for long. Best bet is to slow them down. With a tiered system. Alarm. Bolted down safe. Everything locked away.

Our safe is bolted to the floor and wall. And we have an alarm that goes directly to our local police station.

Nothing is foolproof and we all do the best we can. I agree so much with all you wrote lipstick. No sense to beat oneself up. No way you could have predicted all that happened. And the most important thing is you were all safe. That’s what matters.

I hope your insurance company does right by you @kipari. (((Hugs)))

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry about all of this. I agree completely with your entire post.

For a seasoned professional criminal probably nothing will stop them for long. Best bet is to slow them down. With a tiered system. Alarm. Bolted down safe. Everything locked away.

Our safe is bolted to the floor and wall. And we have an alarm that goes directly to our local police station.

Nothing is foolproof and we all do the best we can. I agree so much with all you wrote lipstick. No sense to beat oneself up. No way you could have predicted all that happened. And the most important thing is you were all safe. That’s what matters.

I hope your insurance company does right by you @kipari. (((Hugs)))

Thanks @missy ! ❤

The insurance saga will take more time, since they're closed for all of august :roll: .

We do believe someone (tradespeople ??? ) knew our camera and security system was down in that period of time... We told the police, but haven't heard anything...
We've since added an independent alarm system and the cameras have been working perfectly since....
Have a wonderful day with your wonderful husband and fur babies! !

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That said....

I second the need for a safe. I had a tennis bracelet stolen by the people who put in our alarm system (how's that for irony?) and my diamond studs which I had just taken off stolen by our house cleaner's son. I got those back by confronting him and saying he must have vacuumed them up and I want them back. Then I had to fire the house cleaner who was mortified at what the son had done. Uncomfortable..

After that we got a safe, and if I'm not wearing it, it's in there. We have a larger gun safe downstairs, which of course was a necessity when the kids were small. Jewelry is just things to me, and things can be replaced or you can learn to live without them. I'd just open the safe for a home invasion - people's lives can't be replaced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results