shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of Cushion cut is this?

Pickadees

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I was searching for a cushion cut stone when I came across this one at James Allen,
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/1.13-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3003514

To me, the stone looks more like an asscher. I looked up the GIA report (wouldn't pull up on the JA site) and yup, the certificate states cushion modified brilliant. I'm drawn to the stone, partly because it looks so different from other cushion cuts and has a hybrid asscher-cushion look to it.

Can you kindly share your expertise and tell me more about this kind of cut? Why does it look so different from the other typical cushions? And do you think the stone has potential?
Thank you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a Crisscut cushion.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, am I crazy, or is the GIA inscription showing/mirroring at the bottom??

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, am I crazy, or is the GIA inscription showing/mirroring at the bottom??

Definitely not crazy i see it too. i've never seen that before, how does that happen? :?:

Pickadees

Rough_Rock
Definitely not crazy i see it too. i've never seen that before, how does that happen? :?:
Does anybody know?

Silly me, I forgot about searching the boards before I started to google crisscut. Seems like there's already lots of information here.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I can definitely see something. Is that really bad?

I wouldn't want it... to me, it is like having an inferior clarity, but paying for VS2.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't either... it's obviously reflected in the faceting, but how does Christopher Designs let that happen?? :nono:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, it's a branded cut, FTL!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't get a great shot to show it, but...
Crisscut_GIA 2.jpg Crisscut_GIA.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe JA would give a discount on it?? :-o:halo:

Pickadees

Rough_Rock
Haha :lol:
Thanks so much msop04!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't speak about a specific stone- but in general.
We've had stones where the GIA inscription was visible in reflections.
I don;t think that's a consideration when they inscribe the diamond.
In my experinece, the inscription is so small, you could not see it naked eye.

Pickadees

Rough_Rock
I can't speak about a specific stone- but in general.
We've had stones where the GIA inscription was visible in reflections.
I don;t think that's a consideration when they inscribe the diamond.
In my experinece, the inscription is so small, you could not see it naked eye.
Good to know. I do like the stone a lot. Thanks Rockdiamond :)

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's pretty cool if you ask me.

It will turn clear once it's been cleaned. Also, it's not visible at all at 10x, let alone at 1x.

OFY

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know how branded cuts end up being sold alongside generics in virtual inventory like this? Is it that they don't meet some of the criteria normally required for their particular brand and so aren't sold along with their other branded cuts through normal distributors? I'm very curious about how they get there since they obviously aren't normally part of James Allen's inventory

I find it strange especially since they don't properly fit into any of the given shape categories. So I guess finding them is just a happy accident?

Right now someone has their Ashoka cut listed for sale on LoupeTroop that they got from James Allen. It's listed as Ashoka on the GIA cert and she provided in the JA link - it was listed as an Asscher. Imagine buying an Asscher blind from Blue Nile and ending up being delivered an Asshoka cut...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From my perspective- I think what happens is that people who own a given branded diamond sometimes sell it. Back to a store, a pawn shop, etc.
Somehow it finds it way back into the general population of diamonds- except now it's fungible. No one at the largest companies selling diamonds on the web is likely to notice a notation on the GIA report- and even if they did, they might not understand the significance.
We've had resellers bring us stones with branded inscriptions and not know what they had on numerous occasions.

OFY

Rough_Rock
Thanks RD. Do you think when these branded cuts find their way to James Allen virtual inventory that JA prices them accordingly? or are they priced similar to generics? and whoever gets them got a 'deal' (in the sense that they pay less than they would if they bought the same diamond through the stores that typically sell that brand)

ETA I have no idea what Ashoka cuts typically go for as I've never seen the prices advertised, but it looks James Allen had listed the 0.51ct D VS2 for $1200. I'd be interested to know how that compares to what you'd pay through traditional vendors that carry this cut.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure OFY
I think it's important to remember what a "brand" is in diamonds.
It's more than the actual carbon, it's what stands behind it.
So a "XYZ"brand diamond being sold by "xyz" jewelers can be worth far more than "xyz" diamond being sold by Joe's Jewelers ( or the internet equivalent)

OFY

Rough_Rock
My pleasure OFY
I think it's important to remember what a "brand" is in diamonds.
It's more than the actual carbon, it's what stands behind it.
So a "XYZ"brand diamond being sold by "xyz" jewelers can be worth far more than "xyz" diamond being sold by Joe's Jewelers ( or the internet equivalent)

That's true, although I'd point out here that typically we can't discern brands when looking at diamonds (i.e. I have no idea looking at beautiful MRB if it's whiteflash, Brian Gavin, or a well cut no-name.) But in the case of the criss cut or the ashoka cut, they have a very distinctive look. So this is where my confusion comes from, since the distinctive look is very much on display when listed at James Allen

If, as a consumer I'm drawn to the facet pattern of the ashoka but have no affinity for the brand in particular, then whether the diamond is sold to me by XYZ jeweler's or Joe's Jeweler's is most likely won't matter to me (ignoring the extent to which consumer choices are swayed by more practical issues like a retailer's return or upgrade policy). In fact, I would argue that Ashoka has very little brand-exclusive value, the bulk of the price premium comes from the fact that it has a distinctive look, rather than a premium label. This is in contrast to, say, an MRB from Tiffany's which is virtually indistinguishable from other well cut rounds, and here the bulk of the price premium comes from the Tiffany label.

I was just wondering how James Allen handles this when pricing these obvious distinctive branded cuts. It sounds like you're implying that a brand, including the Ashoka cut, is worth less being sold from James Allen than it is from...whatever retailer sells an Ashoka cut (I have no idea) and James Allen prices them accordingly. Thanks for your input

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No problem!
Of course I can't speak for any other seller......just what occurs to me in context of what I see in the market in general.
IN terms of a distinctive look being part of the brand- again- you need a seller who can show why such a look is worth more. In my experience, how the brand is marketed has a huge impact on how people feel about its appearance.
Ironic, as this discussion touches on issues I've long felt strongly about.
There are sellers who use ASET and other subjective tools to attempt to "prove" their diamond is better. Personally, I feel that is a sales technique that has a lot to do with the premium price, regardless if it's earned or not.
Bottom line: A consumer with an original Tiffany piece can indeed benefit from the diamond's brand. But there are a few other sellers which fit into that category to the general population.
Short of those very few brands, the general population won't pay a premium for a jewelry brand unless it's sold by that brand IMO.

Pickadees

Rough_Rock
OFY, really good questions and something I was wondering about as well when I came across the diamond. RD, your answers are helpful. For the record, the stone in question from JA is not a crisscut. I learned that if it was, it would be noted on the GIA cert. So back to my original question, what kind of cushion is this? "crisscut inspired?" :lol: The stone is located overseas if that helps. I get the impression that the branded stones are usually cut in the States? I could be wrong.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone looks awesome :)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's unique and I love the cut

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results