shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of accent do you have?

Do you like your accent?

• 1. Yes I love my accent and would never want to change it.

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • 2. No I hate my accent and would love to change it.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 3. I am indifferent to it and really do not care at all. Next question please ;)

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Philly accent and proud! Yous don’t need no quiz to tell ya that! :lol-2:

I have (i think) officially dropped yous from my vocabulary.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CE38221D-181C-4FFC-905F-1D9B285C16CB.jpeg 100% Philly but of course I was born there. How I hear things differs from what I say. I don’t have the philly accent anymore, I sound just neutral and I use Chicago words like pop.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CE38221D-181C-4FFC-905F-1D9B285C16CB.jpeg 100% Philly but of course I was born there. How I hear things differs from what I say. I don’t have the philly accent anymore, I sound just neutral and I use Chicago words like pop.

Haha AprilBaby I got 100% Philly too. Except I have nothing close to a Philly accent. But it's a fun quiz nonetheless plus it's right on target with many of you. Or should I say y'all or youse or you or, never mind. I'll stop now.:lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But don’t you have a jersey shore house? You hear what I hear.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But don’t you have a jersey shore house? You hear what I hear.

Yes but born and still living in Brooklyn and my dh says I have nothing close to a Philly accent. I definitely have a Brooklyn accent. No question. Philly accent moi? Fuggedahboutit.:cheeky:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a conversation I once had with my hairstylist when I lived in Long Island. (I'm from Massachusetts, just south of Boston.)

Him: So you're going to the Hamptons this weekend? Watch out for shocks!
Me: Yes, I am. What do you mean, is there something in the water?
Him: Yes, did you read that article in Newsday about the shocks?
Me: No! Like from what? Eels?
Him: Huh? No, not eels...what do you mean eels? Not electric shahks, shocks!
Me: Electric sharks? What are those?

Yes we finally figured out that he pronounced sharks the exact same way I pronounced shocks and vice-versa.
Omg this had me howling! :lol-2::lol-2::lol:. Poor cats got startled!

My accent was close enough - Northeast Yonkers Newark area. I spent a good number of years upstate so sometimes I get a little twangy.

The old money in the 'hood have their own special accent. Similar to Boston Brahmins.

I don't think I sound like any of the 5 boroughs though.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose so. I've been asked if I am from Canada by several people and another person thought I came here from Wisconsin. Born in Washington state. Spent my whole life here with almost no travel out of the area. So... Yeah.

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: North Central

86%

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

80%
The West

75%
The Midland

63%
Boston

33%
The Inland North

13%
Philadelphia

12%
The South

9%
Northeast

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose so. I've been asked if I am from Canada by several people and another person thought I came here from Wisconsin. Born in Washington state. Spent my whole life here with almost no travel out of the area. So... Yeah.

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: North Central

86%

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

In case you missed my earlier post, you might enjoy this, since you have sounded (to others) like you're from Wiscaaahnson. ;)) (A college friend was from Wisconsin and that's where I first heard that particular accent). This article is truly fascinating.

Northern Cities Vowel Shift - How Americans in The Great Lakes are Revolutionizing English
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...akes_region_are_revolutionizing_english_.html

There are also a lot of videos about the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, out on youtube.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting article Ksinger.i got north central on the quiz which is spot on for me (a Minnesotan here), but like the article said I did not think I had one at all, certainly not as strong as some of my northern friends and family (think the stereotype Fargo accent).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting one. Non-Brits would say that I have a strong British English accent. For Brits, I have a mixed accent (mixed a little bit with American English, just a tiny bit). I do not have a Vietnamese accent, at all, strangely enough. The rest of my family, who live in the UK, have a very strong English accent. My adult nephew, who lived in the UK for the same number of years that I did, more or less, has an accent which is somewhat English but you can definitely detect a hint of Vietnamese when he speaks.

I have not caught the Singlish accent, despite having lived here for the last 16 years.

Interestingly also, when I speak Vietnamese, it's also mixed. Vietnamese people cannot tell whether I am from the North, Centre or South; and the 3 accents are very distinctively different.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chart below claims that accent for "The West" is the closest to the standard American accent. Actually it says, "Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not be from the Wast at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

Yet the 2007 poll said that the Western New England accent is the accent most sought after by television news stations looking for broadcasters. It sounds like standard English to most Americans. That is the accent I have and I have been told that I speak "television English". So how close are these two accents?

TheWest.png

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The NYT quiz says I am from AZ... And I am. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chinese, but I don't think my daughters have Chinese accents since they were born here and don't speak any Cantonese.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to my mother, I sound like a New Englander....:lol: And more than once I've been asked if I was Canadian....wtf:lol: I swear that gets asked as a stab in the dark.

I've lived all over, and am now in the melting pot of East Florida. Lotsa Yanks down here.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People tend to speak like their mothers. My best friend and I grew up a few miles away from each other, but she and I have distinctly different ways of pronouncing words. Only an American, of course, could hear a difference in how we speak. Our "accents" if one could call them that, are not pronounced.

We both spent our entire lives in the same town. Her mother grew up in New York City where her immigrant grandparents also lived for most of their lives. My mother grew up in coastal southwestern Connecticut where her mother was also born and raised.

I said "but-ter" and she tended to say "but-tah" like her mother. I said "milk" with the first sound being like "mill" as in what turns around and grinds grain. She said "melk", the first sound being "mel" like tha man's name, "Mel". I now know when someone is from New York. I hear the sounds that my friend makes in her speech. I hear it when people in Congress speak even before I have any idea whom they represent. I have just learned that "accent". But it isn't anything like a Brooklyn or Bronx accent. One of my best friends actually grew up in Brooklyn. She sounds exactly like the video PintoBean posted. This is something else. This is very, very subtle. This is something you have to be very aware to hear.

I worked with a woman, also in our town. One of her two sons (and three children) had been sent to the school speech therapist. She was called in for a consultation. As soon as the speech therapist met her, she said, "I can see what the problem is". My friend ( a white woman older than me) had the thickest, richest Mississippi accent you could ever hear. She had, apparently, passed it onto her children who were being raised in Connecticut.

Sometimes when my daughter answers the phone people start to speak to her thinking she is me. I have been told that we sound exactly alike. I wonder why?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg this had me howling! :lol-2::lol-2::lol:. Poor cats got startled!

My accent was close enough - Northeast Yonkers Newark area. I spent a good number of years upstate so sometimes I get a little twangy.

The old money in the 'hood have their own special accent. Similar to Boston Brahmins.

I don't think I sound like any of the 5 boroughs though.

My friend who was originally from Brooklyn sounds exactly like the Brooklyn accent in the video! She probably no longer does after many years in Connecticut, but I still hear it, of course.

Deb ;))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend who was originally from Brooklyn sounds exactly like the Brooklyn accent in the video! She probably no longer does after many years in Connecticut, but I still hear it, of course.

Deb ;))

Wow loved this thanks Deb! So entertaining haha. I do enjoy my vowels yes.:lol: But I don't have an up and down in my cadences. At least I don't think I do. 8)
And yes we are a friendly community and it is a nice place to live. True dat!:sun:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to my mother, I sound like a New Englander....:lol: My "accent" to me is all-over-the-place USA as thats where I've lived my life.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been asked where I'm from numerous times because some folks hear a southern twang in my voice. Been a metro city girl all my life. I do have family from the south.:))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been asked where I'm from numerous times because some folks hear a southern twang in my voice. Been a metro city girl all my life. I do have family from the south.:))

OK. I didn't know what you meant, so I googled this. I now could guess. Would you, please, name the city. I will admit ignorance rather than to remain ignorant!

Deb :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone watch RHOBH? What is up with Dorit Kelsey and her accent. LOL it is really a twisted one. She is American (born in Connecticut) but has sort of an affected British accent. IDK is it for real or just for show?:confused:

tarheelbaby

Rough_Rock
I took both the quizzes. The short form gave me 100% Philadelphia and the longer form gave me the Gulf South. As my name suggests, I am from neither of those places but somewhere in between. My southern accent has always been mild because I'm not a hick or a redneck and now that I've lived in England for several years, I don't sound right to anyone: Brits don't think I sound British but Americans don't think I sound American.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK. I didn't know what you meant, so I googled this. I now could guess. Would you, please, name the city. I will admit ignorance rather than to remain ignorant!

Deb :wavey:

Detroit.:D

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quiz located my area perfectly. All my cousins have the distinctive Buffalo accent but I never thought I had an accent at all until I came to France.
In the states even hanging out with southerners I never noticed I spoke differently, but when talking to the fluIdly melodious French, I am shocked to hear that I do have the Buffalo accent.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the states even hanging out with southerners I never noticed I spoke differently, but when talking to the fluIdly melodious French, I am shocked to hear that I do have the Buffalo accent.

All I ask is that you do not tell me a French person was able to tell you that you had a Buffalo accent! I must, also, ask if you were speaking French or English when the person (was it you?) noticed your accent.

Deb ;))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results