shape
carat
color
clarity

What keeps you sane?

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
What things do you tell yourself to keep yourself sane while waiting?

I've been with my SO for over 3 1/2 years, we're currently living together. We've been talking about getting married for the past two years. In 2008 SO said he would propose... since it's 2010 and I'm still un-engaged, we can infer that didn't happen. I sometimes get really frustrated over that fact. I'm only 24, so it's like I'm "old" and I'm currently in graduate school for my Masters. My SO is too. We'll both be done next summer (2011.)

I recent saw pictures of an ex-bf's wedding. Him and his now wife look so young in their pictures. Now I have other friends that have been married, but I never thought that they looked like they were too young to get married. It's just that this particular couple looked young, and they are the same age. I look young for my age, and so does my SO. I don't want our wedding pictures to look like we're 19 years old. Of course if we got engaged now, we would plan a wedding for 2012 when we're both 26, so it wouldn't be like we were too young or anything despite how we look. I don't really know where I am going with this, but looking at my ex's wedding pictures was the first time I was like, "I could wait a little longer."

Plus there is the usual factors - school, money, etc. but sometimes I feel like those aren't good enough reasons, even though I know rationally that they do have some weight.

So what do you tell yourself to keep yourself sane while waiting for a proposal?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
We know we want to get married and have a future together. Heck, we already have a very committed life together and we have for some time. But for me, a proposal means a ring. Although we're already talking about wedding plans, I don't consider myself engaged since I don't have a ring.
So to keep myself sane, I tell myself "Hey, we're together. He's the only person in my life that I can stand to be around all the time and I love him for that. That's what is important. And my dream ring will just be a cherry on top!"

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
I guess what helps me is being busy with homework, also knowing that as some point in time it will be becoming. I try not to think about it.

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
Focusing on the relationship, planning travel, hanging out with friends, planning other stuff, and knowing that it is coming one day. Also knowing that there is plenty of time for my desired wedding month April 2012, if it starts getting too close for comfort I might not stay as sane, lol.

And the LIW forums help somehow too :)

Seattle SC

Shiny_Rock
Telling myself that there's apparently 95 people that have been waiting here longer than me :)

I really don't find myself staying sane though, I don't know how you ladies do it!

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
My ff and I have been together 5 years and our main issue is financial stability and lack thereof.

I talk to my best friend who is going through LIW stuff several times throughout the day, maybe more on our "down days". Even though her issue is not being able to find a stable bf, let alone ff, we still commiserate on how frustrating and hard it is to be in such limbo. We are in our early 30's which compounds the situation for us. ALL of our friends are married with kids and here we are still unengaged.

Just having her there to talk to and help each other stay positive & patient has been a tremendous help during this infuriating waiting period that seems never ending. :nono:

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Jessie702 said:
I guess what helps me is being busy with homework, also knowing that as some point in time it will be becoming. I try not to think about it.

Ditto. I'm swamped with school and exit exams since it's my final semester, so focusing on that takes the focus off of the *hopefully quickly approaching* engagement.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
My sanity is this website....I am totally obsessed...I can spend hours on end!!!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Right now I mostly stay sane by being swamped with homework, like a few other ladies here. I also take comfort in the fact that I know it won't be too much longer before it's here. I'm also starting to really focus on enjoying our time together and the fact that I have found someone who loves me so much he wants to marry me.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I've been working some serious late nights this past month, now that my deadline has been met I'll be going to the gym, meeting up with friends, and planning what colours to paint our new house along with looking for furniture/decor. Time has been going by really fast, I can't believe we're in the middle of September and I'm wearing a fall jacket outside already. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

SweetPea-<3

Rough_Rock
ChloeTheGreat said:
We know we want to get married and have a future together. Heck, we already have a very committed life together and we have for some time. But for me, a proposal means a ring. Although we're already talking about wedding plans, I don't consider myself engaged since I don't have a ring.
So to keep myself sane, I tell myself "Hey, we're together. He's the only person in my life that I can stand to be around all the time and I love him for that. That's what is important. And my dream ring will just be a cherry on top!"

Chloe--I couldn't have said it better myself. Ditto!

But there is one more thing...I have amassed a big collection of images on my computer of wedding stuff that I like--dresses, shoes, veils, flowers, etc. I started keeping it around the time that I decided that my BF is a FF. I just like looking through blogs and saving images that I like. It makes me feel better because it feels like the wedding planning will be easier when we finally need to do it. I already know what I like. I just hope he likes them too! :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results