shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your opinion on carnations for bouquets?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't want to spend much on flowers for my wedding. My mom is doing my centerpieces (she and her best friend are fairly close to being little Martha Stewarts) and the other day she sent me a picture of a carnation. Now I'm considering using it as a bouquet but something in my head is resisting them for bouquets. Why do carnations get a bad rep? The other flower I am considering using is gerbera daisy's. I don't want to do a mixed bouquet so I'd like to do one or the other. I'm not sure the stems of carnations look pretty enough for the type of bouquet I want (simple tied bunch of flowers) but I guess all this rambling is simply to ask...What is your opinion of carnations? Do they have a bad rep or is it just me?

Link to color I would use.
http://www.fiftyflowers.com/product/Hot-Pink-Carnation-Flowers_170.htm

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
First, I fixed your link

I think if the carnations are done right, they would make an OK flower in a bouquet. I remember seeing them somewhere in a bridal bouquet, but I can't remember where. I would do a mock up before the wedding and make sure you are ok with the end result.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I love carnations. I like them tightly packed as a bouquet without greenery. So cheap, but so pretty to me. I think flowers are one of those things that everyone has their own opinion on. What you love, others might hate, but it''s YOUR wedding. Get what you like! For example, I told my florist I didn''t want to see a single calla lily anywhere on my wedding day. My sister works in a floral shoppe and she thought I was CRAZY to say that since they''re her favorite flower, but to me, they look like vaginas.
3.gif
To each their own.

I think you could definitely rock a carnation bouquet.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Stepcutgirl, I love carnations and I think they are suited perfectly for wedding flowers, they come in almost any color you need, they have serious lasting power and I think they are pretty and would use them in a minute. You said the stems are not quite what you had in mind for a simple tied bouquet, have you thought about wrapping them with ribbon? Very easy to do and looks so lovely.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the fixed link and for the opinions. I''m still mulling it over. I just seem to have a mental block to using carnations, yet the bloom is so pretty.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest I think a bunch of carnations makes a better bouquet than a bunch of gerberas just because of their shape.
(I actually love both flowers.) I think carnations get a bad rap because they are inexpensive and they tend to be more common.
Its a shame because they are beautiful flowers and have good staying power.

What about a mix of colors (like that hot pink you like and orange?) Not sure if you have a secondary color but that would be
really bright and pretty.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I like them, and I think they would make a great bouquet.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think, if they're used well, they could be awesome. I would be careful about using odd colors that do not naturally exist in nature (blue, green, etc) and actually stick with one color all together. I'd also be careful about pairing them with other flowers. I think a big bunch of tightly packed carnations would be a cool bouquet or even used as subtle filler flower would be cool (if the other flowers are the feature). Used well they could look very chic, but used poorly they could look like a 7-11 special.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure people can do great things with carnations, but I''m personally not a fan. I think you can get better bang with hydrangeas or peonies and look a lot more modern.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes I see a bunch of carnations at the grocery store and I swoon as much as I do when I see a bunch of peonies. Like most have said, if done properly, they''d go great in a bouquet! It also depends on what vibe you want to go with for your flowers. If you want a big fluffy bouquet (like House Cat''s Martha link), mix them with hydrangeas. If you''re going for the wildflower / thrown together look, then gerbera daisies are a better option.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, there isn''t a such thing as a bad flower or ugly flower. I love the texture of carnations and I think they would make a lovely bouquet.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts and the links. Color wise my bridesmaids will carry hot pink flowers. Mine will be a mix of hot pink and white. Unless that looks funky with whichever flower I go with then I guess I would do all white.

This is how I pictured my bouquet (with shorter stems) though the wrapped stems are a good idea of I go with carnations.

gerbera-daisy-centerpiece-ws-14-41.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
But the carnations are pretty like this too.

carnations[2].jpg

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
How pretty stepcutgirl! My younger sister used peonies and carnations in shades like the ones you posted, no one could really tell.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I did white carnations and blue delphinium for my bouquets, in a loose arrangement. They looked great, didn''t cost much and held up well in the 100 degree heat
2.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not really a fan of carnations or gerbera daisies for wedding flowers. They are pretty but I think they are too 'casual' if that makes sense.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I think monochromatic and tightly packed is the best way to use carnations.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I think carnations are really pretty. They do seem to have kind of a negative rep, but I guess that''s just because they''re cheaper? But I say who cares! There are other flowers that I think are ugly and much more expensive. I''d much rather have carnations. The pink bouquet you posted is lovely!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
i used carnations in mine and thought they were really pretty... it was also supposed to have peonies but because if the weather the shipment never came in, so we added some white roses...

there are some pics in this link
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blondebunny-wedding-teasers.136386/

be careful on hydrangeas for bouquets as they tend to die/turn brown quickly if they are out of water for long

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I really like the carnation bouquets that have been linked. They have such an interesting texture and looks great tightly packed together. I agree that I prefer the bouquets to be made up of all the same colour blooms, I think it looks classyer and more expensive. I think this is a really cool look for a fantastic price.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Stepcut.
I think the reason Carnations have a bad rep is because they are common "funeral flowers".. but then again, so are roses and chrysanthemums.
But for my bouquet, I'm using yellow roses, green and pink orchids and stephanotis. For my girls, I'm using yellow carnations instead of roses to keep costs down.
I think they are pretty, love the price point and they are pretty hardy. I think they look really neat in a bunch! like this:

carnation-wedding-bouquet.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pictures, links and comments! I think they can be done well and I appreciate those who expressed that. I''m still quite torn as I find a bouquet like the white gerbera one above swoon worthy. They both might be more casual flowers for a wedding but we are by far going for more of a fun look than black tie, so I think they work. I''m leaning towords the gerberas right now but I think if they are way more expensive than carnations I could be swayed the other way quickly.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 11:45:21 PM
Author: lcom
Stepcutgirl, I love carnations and I think they are suited perfectly for wedding flowers, they come in almost any color you need, they have serious lasting power and I think they are pretty and would use them in a minute. You said the stems are not quite what you had in mind for a simple tied bouquet, have you thought about wrapping them with ribbon? Very easy to do and looks so lovely.
I could have written this myself. Honestly, carnations are probably one of my favorite flowers. They come in any color you want, I can get 2-3 times the size for arrangements for the price of things like roses, etc., and they live FOREVER! Go for it!!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''m decided but tell me if this is a no no. I''m thinking of doing tied gerberas like above for the wedding with carnation balls as the centerpieces for the reception like below. Too clashy? Cute?

Link here, I couldn''t resize it but the last image (ball on glass container with black rocks), for centerpieces.

http://www.weddingbeepro.com/2009/06/01/the-carnation-wedding-bouquet-pretty-perfect-for-a-recessionista-bride/

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Carnations definitely are a sturdy flower with vibrant colour. My personal problem with them is their smell. To me, their odour is not very pleasant. I spent a good part of my wedding day with my nose buried in my rose bouquet simply inhaling... I loved the smell so much. I didn''t want to put my bouquet down I loved it that much. Carnations, again I mean for me personally, I would have placed them somewhere quite soon after the ceremony. I really don''t like their fragrance.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I sized the picture. So gerbera bouquets and these as centerpieces. Different color but to get the idea. Yay or nay?

carnati03.jpg

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 9:56:38 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Ok, I sized the picture. So gerbera bouquets and these as centerpieces. Different color but to get the idea. Yay or nay?
i vote YAY! i think that is a great way to get a lot of floral "pow" for much less floral $$. they are really stunning. what color would you use?
personally, i like the carnation bouquet you posted over the gerbera daisy one but that''s just me & i think either is acceptable for a bridal bouquet if you love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results