shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite thing to cook/bake?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like to make pastry--and it is always light and flaky and delish. I have a deep dish chunky tourtiere recipe from a 1996 Christmas Canadian Living that is awesome and of course I make quiche when I make pastry. I could eat quiche everyday! I make great souffles, gnocci and spatzle.

I dislike making cookies and only make them at Christmas. Even though I do not like cheesecake, my Mom's lemon cheesecake is divine. I must do that soon. Childhood staple. My Mother was (is) an exemplary cook and baker.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since we got a new oven i find i can bake again
No one used to beleave me when i said i used to be good at baking but in our old rented place our oven needed new seals/ or just needed replaced
i find im better at baking because generally a recepie must be followed where as making the main part of the meal im not good at improvising with flavour but i am good at chillie and chicken soup

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@jaysonsmom I am in awe of your selection and all matching serving dishes. Ok, where do you store all that when not in use? Some kind of heavenly closet that looks like a Williams-Sonoma open stock section? Like a Real Housewives closet but for kitchen goods?!

@monarch64
I wish I had a kitchen with a Butler’s pantry to store all my servingware! I should convert one of our spare bedrooms into a kitchenware room, great idea! None of the serving dishes really “match” except the 4 oval ones that come in a pack from Target! The rest are hodgepodge if platters , baking trays that I pick up from discount stores like big lots or home goods. Easy to match white with white :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow - this is a fun thread! I am going to come back to it when I can really focus and enjoy it! The pictures alone are such eye candy. I love baking in general, but what is really fun is making baklava! I have not made it in years though. Not even sure at this point what recipe I used to use. I learned how to make it from my friend's mom when I was in 5th grade.

ETA I see you want to know why! Well, how fun is it to brush phyllo dough with melted butter, layer after layer after layer? So much fun!

I admire that you not only make phyllo dough - but you ENJOY IT! That is amazing. Baklava is one of my all-time favorite desserts. Yummmmyyyy

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Since we got a new oven i find i can bake again
No one used to beleave me when i said i used to be good at baking but in our old rented place our oven needed new seals/ or just needed replaced
i find im better at baking because generally a recepie must be followed where as making the main part of the meal im not good at improvising with flavour but i am good at chillie and chicken soup

I totally get it - my oven now is lousy and it makes a WORLD of difference to have a nice one...glad you finally do! Your soup sounds lovely!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I mostly make healthy food from scratch.
Low salt, no sugar, white rice or white flour!

I don't mind, the time and effort it takes cooking from scratch with all fresh ingredients takes, or the clean up.
I find it relaxing, and sooooo worth it.

I'm not an adventurous cook who's always looking for new recipes to relieve the monotony.
Fortunately SO and I don't mind eating the same old thing, so I make huge batches.
Getting 10 to 20 meals from one prep/cleanup is more efficient, and green, than cooking every day.
I relish the luxury of microwaving a home-made entree from the freezer ... a healthy home made dinner in 5 minutes, then only a plate and a fork to wash.

My favorite things to cook/bake are lentil soup, tabouleh, whole wheat bread, home-incubated greek yogurt, salsa for Trader Joe's organic unsalted tortilla chips, marinara sauce which freezes nicely for throwing on some whole wheat pasta.

While I don't 'make' them I do like a few proteins from Costco that are quick to prepare, frozen salmon patties, hot fresh rotisserie chicken, low-fat sirloin beef patties, frozen shrimp.
Also my freezer always has Costco frozen organic strawberries and mixed berries for my greek yogurt.

I love healthy AND tasty! (Although I have a voracious sweet tooth, shhhh :lol: ). I at least try to cut some of the sugar out of nearly every recipe I make. So, I admire your dedication and wish I wasn't so picky about eating the same thing all the time! Totally agree that fresh and homemade can't be beat.

I do the same thing with marinara sauce, and other goodies like soups, compound butters or other pain-in-the-butt items. Whip up things as they come ripe in the garden and save them for later!

Also loooooove the Costco items you mentioned.

I aspire to be a bread maker, so if you have any recipes you'd recommend for a newbie, please send them my way!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Your quiche looks so good!!

My fav thing to make is macarons because you can try all different kinds of flavors.
E852878D-C59D-474B-BF8B-3B53E24A6AE7.jpeg

OH MY WORD. I am soooo jealous! I loooove macarons!!! A true labor of love...what are some of your favorite flavors?

I have a soft spot for hazelnut, passionfruit and raspberry myself...(although I can't make macarons, I thank the stars above the I friend that does!)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
HI:

I like to make pastry--and it is always light and flaky and delish. I have a deep dish chunky tourtiere recipe from a 1996 Christmas Canadian Living that is awesome and of course I make quiche when I make pastry. I could eat quiche everyday! I make great souffles, gnocci and spatzle.

I dislike making cookies and only make them at Christmas. Even though I do not like cheesecake, my Mom's lemon cheesecake is divine. I must do that soon. Childhood staple. My Mother was (is) an exemplary cook and baker.

cheers--Sharon

All of that sounds wonderful, and so great that your mother was a fabulous cook / baker too. And...nothing quite like a perfectly made pastry. I will have to look up that recipe for tourtiere! I had the pleasure of trying it once when I lived in Canada, the version I had was made with some kind of wild game...memory is foggy.

Also envious of your souffle skills - I have not made many successfully! Spatzle is a sentimental food for me too (I am part Swiss-German and grew up eating all sorts of German foods)

Come back and share if you make that cheesecake! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results