shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite "ethnic" cuisine?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My family is very international, and we, including the kids, love all kinds of food. Here are our favs.

Me: Indian or Thai (spice!)
Husband: Greek
Son: Japanese (sushi)
Daughter: Vietnamese

What are yours?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone in my family would vote for Japanese. Ramen, Yakitori and any other noodle dishes all go down well, thanks to online Japanese supermarkets my husband is pretty good at whipping it up nowadays.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I joke that I love ALL ethnic cuisines. I wish I knew how cook in all ethnic styles since I love them so much.

Me: Japanese (namely, sushi)
Husband: Thai (which I love, too)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get all excited when I see thai, indian, and sushi places, but can't remember the last time I actually ate at a sushi place (husband doesn't care for it, fisheries in a bad state). I guess I'd have to add Greek but don't personally consider that ethnic :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In descending order for taste:
Indian
Chinese
Thai
Mexican

In descending order for health:
Thai
Indian
Mexican
Chinese

Least fav is sushi. Yuck.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, we all love Mexican, but here in So. Cal, it's almost not considered ethnic, it's native to us. We have at least a couple times a week :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Can't pick just one

Top five are Indian, Thai, Japanese, French and Chinese.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmm Mexican food-I could eat it all day every day. It's so tasty. I do like French and Spanish food also and a good thai curry goes down well too.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm tied for Vietnamese, Japanese or Mexican. I'm a sucker for Mexican food. Vietnamese is light and delicious and the same for Japanese. Plus I love sushi.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hubby and I are pretty adventuresome when it comes to food. So far, the kids are not (but we keep trying!). We love Indian, Greek, Thai, French, Mexican and hubby loves sushi (me, not so much).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm EXCELLENT question....

Probably a tossup between Thai and Mexican!
Dh loves Indian I think above all.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Persian food is my absolute favorite, but Persian restuarants simply don't exist where I live. Sadness. I try to make my own, but it doesn't come out as good.

Also love Turkish and those generic "Middle Eastern" restaurants, Indian, Mexican, Thai, and Japanese. Having lived in Brazil and Venezuela, I crave good food from those countries, but haven't found many good places to get it here. Also lived in France for a year, and good God the food was tasty there. Actually, I'm trying to think of an "ethnic" cuisine I don't like, and not much comes to mind. I will say I'm not the world's biggest fan of the ever-popular Chinese food, or at least what they call Chinese food where I live. It's okay, but nothing exciting for me.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Mexican and Thai, in that order.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh good question. I love it all, but my faves are Korean, Thai, Japanese and authentic Mexican (i.e. not the kind with nasty re-fried beans poured over everything), not necessarily in that order!

ETA also Greek! And falafel-not sure of the specific country that originated in! :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sushi, especially at the bars where you can choose your ingredients and watch them put it all together - so pretty as well as delicious!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I really love Japanese and so does my Fiance. I also really love a lot of Russian dishes but I'm probably biased to that because I'm Russian.

Thai food is delicious and so is Indian. Greek food is another favorite of mine. Next week, I wanna try out Cuban.

I go to one particular Lebanese restaurant often.

I have to really be in the mood for Italian.

I hate Mexican except for guacamole.

OooOoh....and if I feel like being a total fatty, I really really love Chinese.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Italian and Mexican

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Me: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Viet, Korean, almost all Asian food
FI: eats anything. :bigsmile:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My hands down favorite is indian food! I had never had indian food before dating my DH (who's indian ;)) ) and I can never say no to chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, naan, raita, vegetable samosas (especially my MIL's!) and a mango lassi!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All of them. It's ridiculous. I love spicy food, and Indian is a big favourite at our house. I also love French food, and Mexican, and Japanese and Chinese and, and, and.... it would be quicker to name the ones I don't care for.

When I was in NYC last year, Rockdiamond introduced me to falafels - I never tasted them before and obviously needed to know about another type of fried food. OMG, they are delicious. I crave them. Of course, there is nowhere within about a million miles of where I live that sells them, naturally. I would kill for one of these right now. So, so yummy.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. French
2. Japaneese - sushi
3. Italian

Mexican and Chinese

But, ok, technically Italian doesn't count right? But omg omg omg I could live off of pasta.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vietnamese food (but of course! :wink2: ), non-greasy Chinese (particularly like xiao long bao or any kind of steamed dumplimgs, Cantonese soups), Japanese (sashimi, not too keen on sushi, and cold green tea noodles), Italian (LOVE pasta, esp hand-made), French, Thai, Spanish, Greek and to a lesser extent Mexican (not the heavy cheesy type or anything with re-fried beans), Indian, Middle-Eastern food.

This thread is making me hungry! :lickout:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't really have ethnic food here. Our Mexican places are Americanized I think, so I don't know if I'd know real Mexican if it hit me in the face. Does Hu Hot count? We do have a Chinese place in town that is so good, I've never been able to find a place to top it. The son and his girlfriend run it with some of his family, and the month every year they're gone back home to China is a sad sad month around here. Not just here at my house, but the town in general...you'd think they put crack in the food or something-everyone loves it. When I was pg w/Trapper we ate there 3 or 4 times a week.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if I could decide! I looooove both Indian and Japanese.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so funny! We eat a ton of Mexican (and variants thereof) and lots of pasta, but don't even think of that as ethnic anymore.
Yes, I think it's easier for me to list foods I don't like rather than ones I do. When I lived in Chicago I loved the Polish restaurants. I've eaten in some really delicious Ethiopian restaurants.

I guess the only thing I'm not a big fan is recipes with mystery/organ meat. I have tried lengua tacos, "easter" soup, haggis, blood sausages for the when in Rome perspective.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I'm really into French, Italian, Indian, Spanish, and Greek cuisines, they're all so tasty! :lickout:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Vietnamese is no. 1. Thai, Japanese -- we eat sashimi a couple times a month, but I also cook Japanese; making cold soba w/chicken & spinach tonight. Mongolian. Indian. Chinese. Mexican.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1314385742|3000559 said:
Oooh good question. I love it all, but my faves are Korean, Thai, Japanese and authentic Mexican (i.e. not the kind with nasty re-fried beans poured over everything), not necessarily in that order!

ETA also Greek! And falafel-not sure of the specific country that originated in! :cheeky:

:love: I LOVE FALAFEL!!!! We make it all the time--it's Middle Eastern.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1314386901|3000601 said:
All of them. It's ridiculous. I love spicy food, and Indian is a big favourite at our house. I also love French food, and Mexican, and Japanese and Chinese and, and, and.... it would be quicker to name the ones I don't care for.

When I was in NYC last year, Rockdiamond introduced me to falafels - I never tasted them before and obviously needed to know about another type of fried food. OMG, they are delicious. I crave them. Of course, there is nowhere within about a million miles of where I live that sells them, naturally. I would kill for one of these right now. So, so yummy.

Jennifer, you can make falafels fairly easily if you can get a box of the mix to make the patties. Then all you need is pita or tortillas and whatever toppings you prefer. We do not deep fry them at home, we just sort of saute them in a skillet...much healthier!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results