shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite "ethnic" cuisine?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Japanese - I tried Lebanese once in a small town upstate, it was delicious but I haven't found any other places that serve it

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I love Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, and there are a few Thai dishes that I like too.

April20

Ideal_Rock
This is nard..... We love just about all kinds. If I had to narrow it down, I'd say

Spanish
Bangladeshi/Indian
Mexican

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1314391197|3000721 said:
Jennifer W|1314386901|3000601 said:
All of them. It's ridiculous. I love spicy food, and Indian is a big favourite at our house. I also love French food, and Mexican, and Japanese and Chinese and, and, and.... it would be quicker to name the ones I don't care for.

When I was in NYC last year, Rockdiamond introduced me to falafels - I never tasted them before and obviously needed to know about another type of fried food. OMG, they are delicious. I crave them. Of course, there is nowhere within about a million miles of where I live that sells them, naturally. I would kill for one of these right now. So, so yummy.

Jennifer, you can make falafels fairly easily if you can get a box of the mix to make the patties. Then all you need is pita or tortillas and whatever toppings you prefer. We do not deep fry them at home, we just sort of saute them in a skillet...much healthier!

Interesting! I didn't know you could get the mix - I'll keep a look out for it. I guess I could get it online if not locally.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorites are Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, no question.

ETA: When we travel we try to eat in authentic restaurants, and I almost always love the food. If it's done well, I'll pretty much enjoy anything, apparently.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I adore sushi as a treat- albacore nigiri and spicy tuna rolls in particular. I grew up eating Vietnamese and authentic Chinese, so to me it's definitely comfort food- so if I've got a cold or whatever, I crave pho. (I have no idea how my parents ended up being fairly adventurous eaters- I knew how to use chopsticks before I can even remember- they both grew up in the Midwest with very conservative parents; but my father loved any type of real, good Asian food and we ate Vietnamese allll the time.)

DH is almost impossible to shoehorn into an Asian restaurant of any sort, unfortunately. He always wants turkey burgers. Borrrring. :rolleyes: I have to go get sushi as takeout by myself, unfortunately. My mom loves it too so sometimes we go have a nice, long sushi lunch fest.

I do remember vividly my parents taking a cousin of mine from Kansas out with us to our favorite Chinese restaurant in Chinatown in Seattle when I was probably 5, and she was a few years older. They brought the fish out, per usual, with head on. She fainted- just turned white and tipped right out of her chair. I was boggled- why on earth did a fish eye make my cousin faint? I had no idea that most Midwesterners (at that time at least) would've been horrified too.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sushi (not sure if this counts as an ethnicity- ha), thia, chinese in that order - yummmmm.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Between this post and the cake and pie ones, I'm going crazy!

My favorite is Thai, followed by Indian!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mexican
Greek
Indian

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vietnamese - Pho, Spicy Curry, spring rolls, and many other dishes!!! :cheeky:

Indian, Thai, Greek, Middle Eastern

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me: Mexican and Italian
Husband: Thai and Indian

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Indian followed by thai. I have been hooked on indian ever since my college friend made it for me. Mmmm...

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmm... all we eat when we dine out is "ethnic" cuisine.

Our faves: Indian, Thai, Korean, and this little Syrian restaurant that can probably be clumped in a "Middle Eastern Cuisine" category.

We also eat lots of Pho from a Vietnamese/Chinese fusion restaurant.

I grew up eating mostly Hungarian cuisine.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Pho, Sushi, Thai food, and authentic chinese food.

I have a craving for some good sushi now. :lickout:

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
For me- Vietnamese (pho, summer rolls, crepes, and BAHN MI!), Indian, Afghan, and Indonesian. I used to like Thai a lot more but DH wanted to eat it so much I got sick of it :blackeye:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
South East Asian food in general (Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, etc - I would love to try Cambodian food, but I haven't had the chance)
Mexican and Central American (I love a good Guatemalan pupil with "salad", aka pickled veggies with a hot pepper)
Japanese (everything, not just sushi)

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314408784|3001055 said:
South East Asian food in general (Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, etc - I would love to try Cambodian food, but I haven't had the chance)
Mexican and Central American (I love a good Guatemalan pupil with "salad", aka pickled veggies with a hot pepper)
Japanese (everything, not just sushi)

I want to try Cambodian food too but there are no restaurants in my area. I should also add Dim Sum to my list as well. I don't think of it as ethnic food because I grew up with it but I also love New Mexican food too!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Me: Japanese
DH: Indian
Kids: Mexican

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
1) Korean
2) Japanese
3) Indian, Spanish (tapas), French, Polish, Chinese (Szechuan and Cantonese)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Polish
Cuban
American Barbecue

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it all. We're foodies and love trying different types of food. It's not the TYPE of food, it's the quality that determines if I like it.

In no particular order

Italian
French
Indian
Pakistani
Thai
Vietnamese
Cambodian
Chinese (especially Sichuan)
Japanese
Mexican
Peruvian
Brazilian
Puerto Rican
El Salvadorian
Greek
Persian
Afghani
Russian
Basque (One of my top favorites-- very little beats good basque)
Korean
German
Filipino
Arabic (Morocan, etc.)
Jewish
Ethopian stews are awesome-- but I can't stand the fermented bread you eat with. So, if they give me a fork, I'm good.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm very picky about my ethnic foods because there are SO many in southern california, and the taste can vary dramatically depending on where you go. I love sashimi, carne asada, pho, Korean bbq w/ spicy tofu soup in stone pot, and most indian curry dishes. The best Indian food i had was in this tiny place in Amsterdam. I'm ethnically Chinese but not really a fan of the greasy stuff, i like the steamed pork buns and different veggies.

LGK|1314397253|3000834 said:
I do remember vividly my parents taking a cousin of mine from Kansas out with us to our favorite Chinese restaurant in Chinatown in Seattle when I was probably 5, and she was a few years older. They brought the fish out, per usual, with head on. She fainted- just turned white and tipped right out of her chair. I was boggled- why on earth did a fish eye make my cousin faint? I had no idea that most Midwesterners (at that time at least) would've been horrified too.

hahaha i'm sorry your cousin fainted, but that is hilarious!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1314417606|3001186 said:
I love it all. We're foodies and love trying different types of food. It's not the TYPE of food, it's the quality that determines if I like it.

In no particular order

Italian
French
Indian
Pakistani
Thai
Vietnamese
Cambodian
Chinese (especially Sichuan)
Japanese
Mexican
Peruvian
Brazilian
Puerto Rican
El Salvadorian
Greek
Persian
Afghani
Russian
Basque (One of my top favorites-- very little beats good basque)
Korean
German
Filipino
Arabic (Morocan, etc.)
Jewish
Ethopian stews are awesome-- but I can't stand the fermented bread you eat with. So, if they give me a fork, I'm good.

WEll, DAMN Gypsy...do you ever just eat a cheeseburger????????????????? (Show off!) Love you, lady. Impressive palate you have. I should've already guessed this about you by your fabulous and varietal taste in jewelry.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I can't pick one! I love them all! Mexican, Japanese (especially sushi!), Thai, Indian, Mediterranean...I could go on and on.

DH's fave is definitely Thai, though!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is French cuisine ( including those amazing desserts mmmmmm-nothing compares IMO) followed by Italian then Japanese and Mexican. But I pretty much love all foods so wouldn't say no to most! :bigsmile:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, I just remembered one of my big favourites, and also realised that 'ethnic' food as a label is subjective - Southern fried chicken from the USA! So, so delicious, and so badly done where I live. The real stuff came as a complete revelation.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite is Italian and my husband's favorite is Chinese.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1314394851|3000781 said:
monarch64|1314391197|3000721 said:
Jennifer W|1314386901|3000601 said:
All of them. It's ridiculous. I love spicy food, and Indian is a big favourite at our house. I also love French food, and Mexican, and Japanese and Chinese and, and, and.... it would be quicker to name the ones I don't care for.

When I was in NYC last year, Rockdiamond introduced me to falafels - I never tasted them before and obviously needed to know about another type of fried food. OMG, they are delicious. I crave them. Of course, there is nowhere within about a million miles of where I live that sells them, naturally. I would kill for one of these right now. So, so yummy.

Jennifer, you can make falafels fairly easily if you can get a box of the mix to make the patties. Then all you need is pita or tortillas and whatever toppings you prefer. We do not deep fry them at home, we just sort of saute them in a skillet...much healthier!

Interesting! I didn't know you could get the mix - I'll keep a look out for it. I guess I could get it online if not locally.

Jennifer - Or, you could make your own, easily enough. Much better than the mix! http://humus101.com/EN/2007/03/13/an-easy-falafel-recipe/ Your falafel likely had tahini sauce on it, which you may not be able to find locally. There are plenty of recipes on-line. Here is one, though I must admit to never having made my own: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-tahini-92742 I do love falafel.

AFM, favorite ethnic cuisine is Thai and Malaysian. We have lots of Thai restaurants in the area, but my favorite Thai food is prepared by my German/Polish/Irish husband! He made me pad thai on our third date. :bigsmile: There have been lots of thai curries (my favorite) since then. Also, we have an amazing Malaysian restaurant in New Haven. Tofu like I've never had before. Yummo!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Chinese has been my favorite since childhood. I'm a vegetarian so Chinese is always a safe bet for having a good amount of vegetarian options. I loathe going to a restaurant only to have to order a meal of side dishes! Indian food is pretty veg friendly too!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Greek/Mediterranean, Mexican, and authentic Chinese (Cantonese, Shanghainese, although I don't really consider Chinese food ethnic since I am Chinese and eat it everyday).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results