shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite cut for aquamarine rings?

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Post pics if you have any! Thanks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have any, but I like emerald-cut aquas.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
emerald. i'm guessing its because that is what my father bought for me when i was 16......... but i also think its an elegant cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since beryl is a low RI stone, I feel it should have a lot of facets for that extra sparkle, so I love portuguese rounds on Aqua, with a small table, and very high crown, to help minimize the huge tilt window these stones tend to have.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm also a fan of emerald cut aquas. To me there is something very classic about it. There are a few asscher cut aquas on PS- LTP's comes to mine that are also very nice.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'd get an aqua cut by Jeff White because this man can keep a window closed like a fastidious housekeeper!!

AQM006.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
not a ring, but i do have an emerald cut aqua in a pendant, and it's quite sparkly. love emerald cuts for aquas!

Attachments

• emerald aqua pendant 1.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 746

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nature of the growth of the beryl crystal is such that emerald cut or other elongated step cuts, or rectangular cuts optimze weight. I see a lot of those, and to tell you the truth, I get a teeny bit more excited when I see a round aqua, as they do vary from the norm. However, I understand it's a popular cut and many people like it.

Asschers tend to have a high crown and small table, so it helps to minimize the tilt window. The tilt window is a big issue for me with aqua, and even some well cut aquas will still have large tilt windows, but when looking at them through the table, they look fine. The fact that these stones have a low RI, and they are often very pale in color, and very greyish, means that they probably require more cutting "enhancement" than other gems to show off their beauty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no getting around the fact that due to the growth structure and trying to maximize the rough yield, most aquamarines are going to end up being an elongated rectangular stone. I think a mixed brilliant type cut will minimize the tilt window and also give it better flash to compensate for the low RI.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone is a fan of concave cuts, but they do give the illusion of more depth of color. I really like what Gene did with the aqua on his home page. However, that stone had very good "aqua color" to begin with.

ttp://precisiongem.com/

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
ForteKitty|1311181154|2973064 said:
not a ring, but i do have an emerald cut aqua in a pendant, and it's quite sparkly. love emerald cuts for aquas!

sooo pretty! I really like aquamarines in step cuts, but the two I have are oval and a pear.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I do prefer as many facets as possible to make the aqua look darker and sparklier. But then I would say that, having a Gene elongated oval :naughty:

I also prefer rounds and ovals in general.

Aqua flower 1.jpg

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Here's a picture of my nicer one. It's a pear cut with diamond side stones set in white gold. Sorry the picture is such low quality, it was taken with my phone. d3385f721a95_988149d3-a667-4ea4-b55d-470ff11391bc.jpg

It's very sparkly in real life, but you couldn't tell that by the picture.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I like one of Phenomenal Facets' latest cuts. More pictures on the site. I wish more cutters would take pictures of the rough before cutting.

facetsaqua.jpg

facetsaqua2.jpg

facetsaquarough.jpg

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Interesting to see the stone in the rough.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Before I saw this thread, I would have said any step cut (emerald, Asscher) for aquas or other light colored gems with low RI (because I accept that they just won't sparkle). After having seen the Jeff White aqua, it makes me rethink my preference. What a piece of art.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
TL took the words right out of my mouth again. Well said and great info there, TL! :D

Since beryl is a low RI stone, I feel it should have a lot of facets for that extra sparkle, so I love portuguese rounds on Aqua, with a small table, and very high crown, to help minimize the huge tilt window these stones tend to have. The nature of the growth of the beryl crystal is such that emerald cut or other elongated step cuts, or rectangular cuts optimze weight. I see a lot of those, and to tell you the truth, I get a teeny bit more excited when I see a round aqua, as they do vary from the norm. However, I understand it's a popular cut and many people like it.

that 27ct Pak aqua I had was a portuguese round now that i think about it

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
There's just something about emerald cut aquas, especially when they have a little green to them. Pure blue aquas look a little topazy to me, but the blue-green ones are just :love: :love: :love: .

Like crystal-clear tropical waters.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I also like EC's for emeralds, just a classic look.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was my first CS purchase, where I bought the stone first then had it set. It's from my jeweler. I still like it, but have to say I prefer those above, by JW and Phenomenal Facets.

2011_07_24 043.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love aqua but I like them best as emerald cut and asssher. Sweet Pea I have an aqua ring that looks very close to yours. I have an oval YG aqua ring but I can't find a picture of it right now.

wg aqua.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about some step cuts?

IMG_1506 freke.jpg

aq-6560-g_2129_detail.jpg

IMG_8534 aqua asscher.jpg

BBaq-6220g_1945_general.jpg

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Marcy, that does look a lot like mine! All of these pictures are gorgeous.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice collection, FrekeChild! I especially like the asscher by Gene - it's got a kind of sleepy quality, and such a pretty colour.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow that last Barry asscher is mesmerizing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am with Pregcurious - Barry's asscher is amazing.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I really love step cuts for aqua, and I feel like I shouldn't because of the low RI! But I think low-RI stones like aqua and quartz look great in asscher cuts. I think they have a tranquil watery or glassy appearance that I find mesmerizing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It that Barry asscher an Egyptian asscher? It doesn't look like a regular asscher.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results