shape
carat
color
clarity

what is your dream travel destination?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few travel opportunities coming my way in the next couple years and I am looking for some ideas... so let''s start with two questions:

1. If you could travel anywhere in the united states - where would you go and why?

2. If you could travel anywhere outside of the united states - where would you go and why?

I will take any answers, but if it makes any difference at all I would exclude California, Oregon, Washington states in the US and exclude Europe since I just lived there and traveled extensively.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Inside - Montana. It''s different from what I''m used to, and I want to check out that huuuuuuuge sky at night!

Outside - South Africa. History, culture, animals, and gorgeous landscapes. What more could you want?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want to see a huge sky - go to north dakota - or really anywhere that is exceedingly flat. I took some pictures of that endless sky during the day and it really does look like that - the little puffs of clouds get smaller and smaller but continue *forever* over the sky and it''s really beautiful and slightly... creepy lol

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Australia is my dream.

E B

Ideal_Rock
In the United States? Alaska. My husband has family there, so we''re planning a trip this summer.

Outside? New Zealand, probably. Or Greece.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inside the US: Puerto Rico. I love the rain forest.

Outside the US: Havana Cuba - I would love to see it the way it was before Castro took over.
Australia & New Zeland

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, thanks for asking this! I''ve been wanting to for a while and can''t wait to read everyone''s answers.

1. Alaska - I''ve been (my aunt used to live there) but I want to go back with BF. Also, the Grand Canyon.

2. Greece - The ruins, the islands, the sea!
Montserrat - It has a volcano!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Inside - the Grand Canyon

Outside - the Galapagos Islands

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 4:24:41 PM
Author:Cehrabehra
I have a few travel opportunities coming my way in the next couple years and I am looking for some ideas... so let's start with two questions:

1. If you could travel anywhere in the united states - where would you go and why?

2. If you could travel anywhere outside of the united states - where would you go and why?

I will take any answers, but if it makes any difference at all I would exclude California, Oregon, Washington states in the US and exclude Europe since I just lived there and traveled extensively.

1) In the US, I want to go to Hawaii. Well more accurately, go back to Hawaii. It's been years since I lived there, and I was a kid and didn't appreciate it as much. But I miss the weather, the beauty, the sheer friendliness of the people, everything (well, ok, not the bugs!).

2) Hmm... I want to go to SE Asia (Thailand and Vietnam). BF and I want to go to the Maldives since it's only going to be around for another 100 years or so. I want to go to Fiji and Tahiti. And I want to go to Brazil. Sorry those are a lot of options!
11.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
In the US: Hawaii

Outside: South Pacific especially Tahiti and Bora Bora; French Riviera, Greek island cruise with two other couples that we''ve known for 40 years
36.gif
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Kauai, Hawaii (love love love Hawaii)

2. I would love to go to Thailand or Malaysia

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the US, I have no idea because I''d probably pick going to a state I''ve been to numerous times (CA). . .so aside from there, I''m not sure if it''d be my "dream," but I think it''d be a blast to travel to that Diamond digging national park in Arkansas.

For outside: France or somewhere tropical. Tahiti. Warm beaches and laying around. My DH loves action and site seeing when traveling. We do plan to go to France and someday Amsterdam.
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I first thought of where I wanted to go I was thinking India or Thailand, maybe Japan, but I''m not at all set on those. I''ve been to Australia, but my husband has not and I would LOVE to go to New Zealand. I''ve been across the border in Mexico but I haven''t been deep into mexico or to south america or africa. I would also really like to see Greece. My aunt thinks we should go to South Africa and go on Safari but I''ve never really felt drawn to do that so I''m not sure it''d make it to the top of my list if I can only pick two places. Puerto Rico interests me but I''m almost tempted to do a semi-expat assignment there (semi as it is a territory). CUBA would be awesome and since we''d be coming from outside the country it could be doable. Have travel restrictions lifted yet? I was *just* reading an article in Travel magazine from july08 about it and thought it would be incredible to see before it is totally modernized. One of my best friends went to Galapagos a couple years ago and went to south africa last year... she thinks I should go to India (but I think it''s because she hasn''t been there and wants to go and thinks we should meet up there lol) She''s going to Cambodia and Vietnam in December - I''ve heard wonderful things about both countries! The Maldives - I forgot about them... when I was in high school I decided I had to go there before I died, I forgot about that lol Oh and Fiji!!! Yes - that''s in the top 5 too! But haven''t they been having revolutionary issues there the past few years? Hmm... Yes, there ARE a lot of options - too many!!! I still want to go back to Italy but I was just there in June so it seems like I should branch out a bit lol We get TWO trips like this but we may be going to spain for one of them to take my husband''s father. I would love to go there but it isn''t in the top 2 for myself, but I''m happy to go to make pop in law a happy camper :) If we do that, it leaves one BIG trip we can take. Travel from China to areas in asia won''t be as expensive so we may be able to do long weekends to a lot of those destinations like we did in europe. I would really love to go to Tibet too but I think that''s not going to work... I''m going to have a chinese residency permit in my passport and it makes me a little concerned to travel to tibet under those circumstances. We will be going to the Harbin ice festival in China and I think we''re going to take a couple extra days and drive up to Russia, though I''m not sure what there is in eastern russia... maybe a trip to Moscow? Hmm... It''s freaking tough (but admittedly one of the better sorts of problems lol)

In the USA it''s tough because I''ve been to every state but Minnesota and Alaska. I''m not sure I''d make a special trip to Minnesota lol I''ve been very lucky in my travels thus far and have driven across the country six times not to mention a trip from florida to new york and an uncountable number along the 3 western states. I''ve been to DC 3-4 times and to NYC at least 6 times (and am planning a big trip there with my daughter for graduation in 3 years so that''s out of the running for this round. I''ve hiked the grand canyon (rim to rim) twice and been there two other times, I''ve lived in NY, FL, WA, CA, and OR, I''ve really seen so much of the country... was thinking of going back to florida and taking the kids to disney and driving down to miami and key west... was thinking of going to alaska as I have not been there... was thinking of going to hawaii since I haven''t been there since 83 and it was just a 28 hour layover to australia. But I dunno - I am not committed at all. I''ve always wanted to see the northern lights... maybe we should go to Alaska... anyone been there? Or Hawaii... but if we go to a place like Fiji I don''t really need hawaii too, do I? Ack!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 7:20:53 PM
Author: MC
For the US, I have no idea because I''d probably pick going to a state I''ve been to numerous times (CA). . .so aside from there, I''m not sure if it''d be my ''dream,'' but I think it''d be a blast to travel to that Diamond digging national park in Arkansas.

For outside: France or somewhere tropical. Tahiti. Warm beaches and laying around. My DH loves action and site seeing when traveling. We do plan to go to France and someday Amsterdam.
1.gif

Amsterdam is an absolutely LOVELY city - I hope you like riding bikes!! Drive up to the small towns in the north - it''s almost like going back in time... We were in Paris for Easter - the trees at Notre Dame were fully abloom... breathtaking :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 7:19:35 PM
Author: Skippy123
1. Kauai, Hawaii (love love love Hawaii)

2. I would love to go to Thailand or Malaysia

Malaysia - I have never considered that... what attracts you?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sara, just wanted to chime in again - New Zealand is GORGEOUS. I''ve only been to the South Island (went for two weeks last March) and it was, hands down, the best trip ever. Here is my thread with pictures
1.gif

Link

justginger

Ideal_Rock
1. Alaska. The only two states I have left to explore are Alaska and Hawaii, and Alaska is much more appealing. I love raw wilderness and scenery.

2. Chile. It''s an AMAZING country - it will be the trip of a lifetime, when I eventually make it. I''ll hopefully spend three months there for my long service leave, when it rolls around in a few years.
9.gif

This thread makes me very thankful for the travel opportunities I''ve had, as many of my destinations are other people''s dream holidays. Thailand, Greece, France, Australia, etc. However, it reawakens my travel bug - since moving down under, most of my vacation time/money has been spent on getting back to the States to visit family. I haven''t had a proper adventure in a couple of years now!

I''m not sure about Fiji, most traveller''s reviews that I''ve heard haven''t been great (conversely, many people who aren''t so big on traveling love it, probably because they''ve not experienced anything better). Most agree that you get more bang for your buck from the Cook Islands (Aitutaki). India is appealing to me (if nothing else, I
30.gif
the food!). I spent 14 hours in Auckland on a huge layover last week and did an all day tour - beautiful. The weather was shocking though, I''d only recommend visiting NZ in the deepest part of the southern hemisphere summer! The temp was around 15 degrees while I was there, in comparison to the 25 degrees I had left behind in Perth.

While I haven''t been to Malaysia, lots of coworkers and friends have (popular destination for Australians). One coworker is from Penang, so she''s quite an information source. She says the tourist areas/beach resorts are VERY nice, but watch out for KL. She thinks it''s crowded and dirty - people spitting in the streets, etc.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I could go anywhere in the US, it would be Hawaii. The only thing is that it''s SOOOO far from where we live, and it''s super expensive. I''d LOVE to go because it''s my idea of heaven.

Anywhere outside the US -- lots of places, really. We''d love to return to Ireland someday, and we''d also love to go to Portugal and see where my dad''s family is from. Other than that, Italy, Spain, etc. The list goes on and on.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
In the USA: Alaska and Colorado- I haven''t been to either, but I want to see the mountains and go for a out there.
Anywhere outside of USA: Australia-I would just love to see what it''s like to be there.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
1. Seattle
2. Santorini

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Inside: Maine. Never been. Oooh, or Virginia ( or is it West Virginia?) for Chincoteague (sp?) Island. Or Key West.

Outside: Greece. Canada. Costa Rica or Belize.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good topic!

I grew up in Australia and NZ but we never made it down to stewart island, or to ayers rock, for example. Strange, but there it is. I''d love to go back and see all those things I missed, but it''s a lot more difficult when they''re tens of thousands of miles away rather than hundreds!

Alaska - I want to see the northern lights, and spend a night in the ice hotel.

Africa - Safari!!

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Inside: Can''t wait to go back to wine country, California.
Outside: The Maldives, Hong Kong, Dubai....

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely Alaska in the U.S. The scenery looks magnificent!

Since I can''t pick Europe I would pick Greece. Beauty and history.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the US... the US virgin islands and hawaii would be my destination choices. Continental US? I love DC in the spring. I have always wanted to see Maine in summer (late May early june), and I love going to the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland on the west coast...

Outside the US: Greek Islands, Food tour of Italy, Basque region... lots of places. I love the Great Barrier Reef of Australia. Lots of places.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 11:41:04 PM
Author: fsu1227
Inside: Can''t wait to go back to wine country, California.

Outside: The Maldives, Hong Kong, Dubai....

Oooh Dubai!! Or Bahrain!! Those would be super cool! However my husband was in Dubai for 6 mos in the military and I seriously, seriously doubt he would even consider that ::snap::

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 1:34:35 AM
Author: Gypsy
In the US... the US virgin islands and hawaii would be my destination choices. Continental US? I love DC in the spring. I have always wanted to see Maine in summer (late May early june), and I love going to the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland on the west coast...

Outside the US: Greek Islands, Food tour of Italy, Basque region... lots of places. I love the Great Barrier Reef of Australia. Lots of places.

I really loved Maine - it''s one of my favorite states, I find it just breathtakingly beautiful and the lobster is amazing! When we were there (over 15 years ago) I told my husband if anything ever happened to him I would move to maine for a year of mourning and gorge out on lobster daily lol

I have an aunt in Ashland and I have to say it really is a cool town! Has anyone been to Turkey? Gypsy - do you scuba? I''ve never been and it used to be something I wanted to learn (when I was like in high school) but my boss when I was 18 died taking lessons (well, he was removed from life support a few days later) and I have a bit of a fear about that... I would love to see some reefs but I don''t know that I would have the guts for it
7.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
switzerland
new york
england
vermont in the fall
rome,italy

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
It''s great to see so much interest in Australia, you''d love it down here and we''d love to have you, wait a little while until the USD bounces back though.

I''m hanging out to get back to our favorite places in the USA (Colorado, where I have family and where we got married) and New York, my husband has never been to San Francisco and I know he''ll love it. I''d love to experience the Deep South. Jackson Hole in Wyoming is probably the next place on our US list.

Outside of the US, Italy. And the UK, my husband lived there for 4 years and he''s really keen to show me his old haunts.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
1. Inside the united states I''d be highly torn. I would just DIE to go to Alaska.... seriously. BUT I really want to do a driving arabian horse farm tour of California too
11.gif
That could be very dangerous though
27.gif

2. Italy, no questions asked. I''ve wanted to go there since I was little, and the dream hasn''t gone away.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results