shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your average cellphone data usage monthly?

What is your average cellphone data usage monthly?

• Under 250 MB

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 250 MB - 1 GB

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 1 - 2 GB

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 2 - 3 GB

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3 - 4 GB

• 4 - 5 GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - 7.5 GB

• 7.5 - 10 GB

• 10 - 15 GB

• 15 - 20 GB

• 20 - 30 GB

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 30 - 50 GB

• 50 - 75 GB

• 75 - 100 GB

• Over 100 GB

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sledge!
So, apparently, so far at least, I won't need to download a single app ... "additional functionality" :roll: be dammed.
I resist their evil seduction.

I've never had sigaleart's so-called "additional functionality" at home on my iMac - it has has worked just fine for years without it.

The only functionality I desire from sigaleart is what I have been seeing for years, the traffic map of LA's freeways at a glance.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, their customer service agents have been extraordinarily excellent over all the 4 phone calls it took for Kenny to figure all this out.
Of course many service companies kiss your @ss with no wait time and friendly agents while you're deciding whether to buy their stuff.
After the sale you get switched over to hours of time on hold to "talk" to a crappy agent from a 12th-world country who mumbles with a thick incomprehensible accent.

My SO subscribes to Consumer Reports; he says CC is very highly rated.
I read somewhere they are particularly supportive and trained in dealing with grumpy old farts like me.
Often we are not as tech savvy as all those young whipper snappers.

I've always hated smartphones and have wanted to stab all their users' eyes out with a red hot ice pick (just kidding) but now that I'm getting one I think we smartphoners are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

People vary.
Some are superior, like us smartphone users. :praise:
Did you know ... having a smart phone makes you smarter?

I thiight of you today Kenny
a wee boy about 8 or 9 zoomed past me on his bike
One hand on the handle bars, the other holding his phone to his ear (he was riding on the footpath which i think is ok if the push bike is under a certain size)
Anyway i thought there is Kenny if he was a kid today !

A world of warming on using goodle maps or what ever its called
When we first moved here i continued at my job in greater Wellington, boarding thriugh the week with my workmate in the small village i worked it
I took the bus to work if we were on different shifts and in the winter it was dark some days
anyway a few times i missed my stop, one time i must have fallen asleep, i had no idea where i was so i used Google to get home
except it tried to take me on a short cut and i ended up down at ally that came out in a reserve on the beach - it was pitch black and i had no idea where i was and stupid google was trying to drown me in a lagoon (my freind came and got me, i wasn't far from her house)
I know you hear of trucks getting stuck following routes that are in no way suitable, but quite franklyn you can't beat a real map imho !

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Walkie talkie, trac phone, and solar-charged whatever kind of phone does that now there’s guaranteed to be one seems like the trick.
16.8 this month so far. I use my phone a ton for work and personal use. Store lots and lots of data.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not using a lot of data as I am WFH and used my WiFi to connect to the internet, which is about 20+ GB per month.

DK :))

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No apps for anything ever ......... at least I say that now.

Many of us were like that and over time gave in to varying degrees. The convenience and ease of use for mobile apps over their web counterpart can be seductive.

I hate typing on my phone so use of my phone for what I can wait and do on a computer isn't seductive. Unless urgent, I don't reply to emails on my phone and if a text exchange goes back/forth more than a few times, I call.

For decades, despite being in web/mobile development, I used my cell phone only for basic web surfing, text, phone and reading of emails for decades. Now I have about a half dozen apps that I've installed on my own. The one area I resisted and finally caved on was mobile banking...during Covid, I finally added for 1 account because of the ease of depositing checks.
Even my 85 year old mother who still doesn't know how to check her cell phone messages eventually started using Uber...and during Covid isolation, added Instacart.

I just checked my usage statistics - I have an unlimited plan - and I’m at 126 GBs for the month!! I did not realise how bad it is :oops2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&D you may want to give Apple Maps a try over Google Maps. We find ourselves driving in unfamiliar territory quite a bit and while none of them are perfect, for us, Apple Maps makes a little more sense. Little things like, “go past this light and at the next light turn right” or also sending a vibration to my Apple Watch indicating a change in direction or lowering my music or podcast to spit out the map instructions. I am a quick learner so I figure out my way around quickly and prefer no assistance but IMO it’s the better option when you need it.

By the way Kenny, SIM cards aren’t quite as magical as they were explained to you, lol. They are just cheap plastic cards with a chip that authenticates you on a specific network. I can move my SIM from phone A to phone B and it will send & receive calls, texts, etc with no hiccups and under the same phone number. When we switched to Apple I sold our old Androids and all the new owners did exactly this to confirm it all worked.

Except AT&T. They freeze your account, invalidate the old SIM, require you to go In a store, authenticate yourself, provide select ID confirming you are a valid person, install a new SIM, send a validation code to another authenticated phone on your account for you to provide so they can enter in their system and then it works. Unless they mistype the code, then they reverify ID (lol), send the code again, etc. Good for your security I supposed but a major PITA compared to other carriers.

And wait until you do start using some apps. I mentioned Apple Maps earlier. My USAA banking app is the bomb too. I swipe right from my Home Screen and I have a list of my accounts with current balances and transactions. I also track stocks for retirement. And have YNAB app for budgeting, etc. I can and did live without them for many years. But as I mature I have realized time is truly my most valuable asset so I am focused on really simplifying life as long as I don’t forsake a reasonable level of security.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&D you may want to give Apple Maps a try over Google Maps. We find ourselves driving in unfamiliar territory quite a bit and while none of them are perfect, for us, Apple Maps makes a little more sense. Little things like, “go past this light and at the next light turn right” or also sending a vibration to my Apple Watch indicating a change in direction or lowering my music or podcast to spit out the map instructions. I am a quick learner so I figure out my way around quickly and prefer no assistance but IMO it’s the better option when you need it.

By the way Kenny, SIM cards aren’t quite as magical as they were explained to you, lol. They are just cheap plastic cards with a chip that authenticates you on a specific network. I can move my SIM from phone A to phone B and it will send & receive calls, texts, etc with no hiccups and under the same phone number. When we switched to Apple I sold our old Androids and all the new owners did exactly this to confirm it all worked.

Except AT&T. They freeze your account, invalidate the old SIM, require you to go In a store, authenticate yourself, provide select ID confirming you are a valid person, install a new SIM, send a validation code to another authenticated phone on your account for you to provide so they can enter in their system and then it works. Unless they mistype the code, then they reverify ID (lol), send the code again, etc. Good for your security I supposed but a major PITA compared to other carriers.

And wait until you do start using some apps. I mentioned Apple Maps earlier. My USAA banking app is the bomb too. I swipe right from my Home Screen and I have a list of my accounts with current balances and transactions. I also track stocks for retirement. And have YNAB app for budgeting, etc. I can and did live without them for many years. But as I mature I have realized time is truly my most valuable asset so I am focused on really simplifying life as long as I don’t forsake a reasonable level of security.

I have samsung which is android
Does it work with apple ?

I caved today and brought extra data as im only half way through the billing period and i have that half hour to kill before work
I feel ripped off somewhat

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have samsung which is android
Does it work with apple ?

I caved today and brought extra data as im only half way through the billing period and i have that half hour to kill before work
I feel ripped off somewhat

Which part? I will answer all them and can expand as needed.

Apple Maps is exclusive to Apple devices; however, there is a work around. If you aren't already using DuckDuckGo for your web browser (enhanced security over Google) then you can download it and use it to access Apple Maps (as it doesn't do Google Maps, again, because of security).

You can pull & replace SIM cards on all devices rather Android or Apple. I assume the AT&T hassle factor would occur regardless if Android or Apple. Effectively they marry the SIM to the specific device, so when the device changes it freezes your account until you visit a store. So the device brand wouldn't matter.

In regards to USAA & YNAB, both have apps on Android. To get the accounts & transactions to show up, it's a little different than Apple, but on Android you will use a widget and can implement on whatever screen/page you wish.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which part? I will answer all them and can expand as needed.

Apple Maps is exclusive to Apple devices; however, there is a work around. If you aren't already using DuckDuckGo for your web browser (enhanced security over Google) then you can download it and use it to access Apple Maps (as it doesn't do Google Maps, again, because of security).

You can pull & replace SIM cards on all devices rather Android or Apple. I assume the AT&T hassle factor would occur regardless if Android or Apple. Effectively they marry the SIM to the specific device, so when the device changes it freezes your account until you visit a store. So the device brand wouldn't matter.

In regards to USAA & YNAB, both have apps on Android. To get the accounts & transactions to show up, it's a little different than Apple, but on Android you will use a widget and can implement on whatever screen/page you wish.

Thank you
i may go that route when i next upgrade - it will be another samsung so its good to know it will still work
I guess i use googke - on my laptop i use firefox

Im afraid i don't have a lot of available space to add new apps to this phone - its almost full up with Bruce Springsteen concerts and he takes priority because he's the whole reason i ever got a smart phone !
Without him i doubt id even be on the internet !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to marry Bruce Springsteen.
You should mail him a marriage proposal.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Boss! Being such a huge fan, have you seen his special documentary on Apple TV yet? I think you can get a free trial if you haven’t.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I've gotten my smartphone up and running.
So far so good. :dance:

Oh, and I can go onto the Internet and type in www.sigalert.com and see my traffic map just fine.
I din't have to download an app to do it.
I haven't downloaded a single app, and don't intend to.
The phone does both things I got it for just fine.

If I change my mind about apps in the future, so be it. :bigsmile:
It's so nice to think for ones self, and not automatically do everything that the system wants us to do.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear this is working out for you so far.

Although I am more adoptive of apps than you, I am still very selective. In today’s world it seems there is an app for every silly thing. For me, the app has to provide added functionality and/or ease of some magnitude that I find valuable. Also it has to be something I frequently use.

There is no right or wrong answer. Go do you and remember that at the end of the day, a phone is just another tool in this awesome thing called life.

Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results