shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your average cellphone data usage monthly?

What is your average cellphone data usage monthly?

• Under 250 MB

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 250 MB - 1 GB

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 1 - 2 GB

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 2 - 3 GB

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3 - 4 GB

• 4 - 5 GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - 7.5 GB

• 7.5 - 10 GB

• 10 - 15 GB

• 15 - 20 GB

• 20 - 30 GB

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 30 - 50 GB

• 50 - 75 GB

• 75 - 100 GB

• Over 100 GB

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is for you alone, not all of the people who share a combined or family account.
If you don't know exactly, just guesstimate.

Even if your plan has unlimited data, it should still show how much data was actually used each month.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I average about 20 gigs per month each. My husband used to use a lot more when he worked at his old job and had to use his personal phone for work related stuff. They seriously printed business cards for him with his personal phone number on it... My husband is a heavy data user but he’s got a work phone now and uses that a ton.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
.25 GBs per month. I don't use my phone much for web surfing. The only time I used over 1 GB was when I was traveling abroad.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I just checked the maximum is 2-3 GB a month (when on holidays) & I would be hot spotting for my child perhaps.

But I wi-fi at home & work if needed. I don’t have a job where I have time to look at my phone during work time.

I don’t use my phone often if I’m out anywhere.

Actually I’d be happy not to have one on my person most of the time... it’s usually on silent.... unless my child is not with me then I have it on ring.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used 23 GBs this month, I thought it was going to all be work -- but now I remember that my mobile connection was too slow and I switched to wireless most of the time when I was trying to deal with large work files. Instead my phone log shows ~10 GB was my daughter watching disney+ movies, only 5 GB was work :lol-2: .

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I use less than a gig but I’m almost always connected to wifi.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Mines way up there, over 100gb, but I run a business from home and do almost everything on my phone.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do you find out ?
Im not overly happy because we have unlimited broadband in the home but sometimes my phone seems to ignore that and starts using its data - my cell phone provider is not the same company that Gary uses for his cellphone and the Wi-Fi

As i have roll over data and have been basically at home 24-7 the last two years i was very surprised a few months back to get a text from my provider asking me to buy extra data to use for the balance of that month
I was not happy - and just went without if i had to leave the house

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you find out ?
Im not overly happy because we have unlimited broadband in the home but sometimes my phone seems to ignore that and starts using its data - my cell phone provider is not the same company that Gary uses for his cellphone and the Wi-Fi

As i have roll over data and have been basically at home 24-7 the last two years i was very surprised a few months back to get a text from my provider asking me to buy extra data to use for the balance of that month
I was not happy - and just went without if i had to leave the house
Depending on who your provider is, you can see it in the self service app or website.
Last month I used 18GB cos I was streaming Netflix. Most months it’s much less than that.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get 4 GB included, I’ve used less than half a GB so far this month.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Practically nothing. I work from home and am almost always on wifi. Last month was high (about 4 GB) because our wifi was down one day and I had to hot spot off my phone in order to work.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I use a lot. Around 30 to 32 GB a month. Since we moved our wifi has been spotty so I take my phone off when it happens. Also at work the wifi doesn’t always work for me.
I also use my phone for everything, I never use a laptop or desk top. I use it to watch movies, read, play games, browse Pricescope, refinancing, car shop, email, etc.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just got one of those blastered texts
I would have used a tiny bit of data the half hour i get to work early but no streaming videos or downloading files and ive used one line banking a tiny bit when out and about last week
but who turns my WiFi off - i never touch it
I might have to blo*dy well buy it this month as the new ninth isnt until the 4th
Where has it all gone ?
Screenshot_20210418-114547.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I started this thread was to learn how much data people use in the real world.

Why care, since I've never had a data plan?
Because I'm finally getting a data plan, and have to pick a data amount to sign up for.
I had no clue how much data I'd need.

Why am I finally joining the 21st century??
A client just gave me her hold (6 month old) Samsung phone.
That, and I found out I can get 500MB of monthly data, 250 hours of voice (I've never used half that) and unlimited text for the same price that I'm now paying for unlimited talk and text, only, but no data ... $20 a month.
I can't believe how cheap it is!!!!!
of course I'll turn off all aps and GPS tracking and never go on my email on my phone or use the cloud.
Then all my at-home use will be on my wi-fi.

I'm starting a project for her which will result in me making & getting zillions of texts for her.
My current cheapo antique-phone can't use data, and doesn't even have "talk to text".
I have to press the 7 key 3 times to get an R, etc. :knockout:

Her smartphone can translate spoken voice into text. :dance:... something I'm sure all of you have taken for granted for decades.

The only reason I find actual Internet access useful on a phone is when I'm navigating Los Angeles' hostile maze freeways, trying to avoid accidents and traffic congestion.

The website sigaleart.com shows all LA freeway traffic conditions live :clap:in 4 colors, Green for free flowing, then Yellow, Orange, and Red for gridlocked parking lot "traffic". :angryfire:
The AM radio traffic reports are not often, or detailed, enough compare to sigaleart's instant live map.
Now I can plan the fastest route at a glance.
I don't like or use any navigation system - I can't stand a voice telling me to turn left in 200 feet.

Anyway, thanks all for the info in this thread.
When I start something new I like to benefit from the experience of those in the know. :wavey:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I started this thread was to learn how much data people use in the real world.

Why care, since I've never had a data plan?
Because I'm finally getting a data plan, and have to pick a data amount to sign up for.
I had no clue how much data I'd need.

Why am I finally joining the 21st century??
A client just gave me her hold (6 month old) Samsung phone.
That, and I found out I can get 500MB of monthly data, 250 hours of voice (I've never used half that) and unlimited text for the same price that I'm now paying for unlimited talk and text, only, but no data ... $20 a month.
I can't believe how cheap it is!!!!!
of course I'll turn off all aps and GPS tracking and never go on my email on my phone or use the cloud.
Then all my at-home use will be on my wi-fi.

I'm starting a project for her which will result in me making & getting zillions of texts for her.
My current cheapo antique-phone can't use data, and doesn't even have "talk to text".
I have to press the 7 key 3 times to get an R, etc. :knockout:

Her smartphone can translate spoken voice into text. :dance:... something I'm sure all of you have taken for granted for decades.

The only reason I find actual Internet access useful on a phone is when I'm navigating Los Angeles' hostile maze freeways, trying to avoid accidents and traffic congestion.

The website sigaleart.com shows all LA freeway traffic conditions live :clap:in 4 colors, Green for free flowing, then Yellow, Orange, and Red for gridlocked parking lot "traffic". :angryfire:
The AM radio traffic reports are not often, or detailed, enough compare to sigaleart's instant live map.
Now I can plan the fastest route at a glance.
I don't like or use any navigation system - I can't stand a voice telling me to turn left in 200 feet.

Anyway, thanks all for the info in this thread.
When I start something new I like to benefit from the experience of those in the know. :wavey:

Oh Kenny
you will find a million uses for having the internet in your pocket !
Just don't sign up to a plan you can not easierly upgrade or downgrade from
My $25 ( i get a $5 discount because of being on Garys old age pension) plan has roll over data that lasts for a year
Another thing to check is if your account is monthy or 4 weekly
I have unlimited national and Australian calls - both i hardly use and free unlimited texts i also hardly use
For me its all about the internet and i down load a Springsteen show once a month

Costs have certainly dropped dramatically here the last few years

Just keep checking when your at home that your phone is on the wifi and not eatting your data

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you D&D. :love:

My plan is month to month, no contract; I can cancel at any time with no penalty, and I'm using a phone that's unlocked.
If I go over my monthly data allotment they automatically bump me up from 500 MB a month to 3 GB (6 times the data) for only $5 more a month, or $25.
My plan then remains at 6 GB / $25 until I tell them to push it back down to $20 / 500 MB.
This service provider specializes in serving old farts like me.

So far, so good.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny how do I see what my monthly data usage is? I looked on my phone under cellular but I don't know how to calculate my usage.

I am guessing it is high as I use my phone for streaming music for hours and hours when we are driving in the car or hiking or cycling which is almost daily. I also use my phone much of the time when I am on PS and for email and text. So while I have no clue as to the GBs I am using I think it's gotta be up there.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you D&D. :love:

My plan is month to month, no contract; I can cancel at any time with no penalty, and I'm using a phone that's unlocked.
If I go over my monthly data allotment they automatically bump me up from 500 MB a month to 3 GB (6 times the data) for only $5 more a month, or $25.
My plan then remains at 6 GB / $25 until I tell them to push it back down to $20 / 500 MB.

So far, so good.

Is it Consumer Cellular? That's what we have.
It is cheap and we like it that way!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny how do I see what my monthly data usage is? I looked on my phone under cellular but I don't know how to calculate my usage.

I don't know yet.
Someone else please answer missy's question.

I've never had a smartphone or data plan.
I'm waiting for my SIM card to arrive in the mail.
Then the party can start. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it Consumer Cellular? That's what we have.
It is cheap and we like it that way!

Yes, their customer service agents have been extraordinarily excellent over all the 4 phone calls it took for Kenny to figure all this out.
Of course many service companies kiss your @ss with no wait time and friendly agents while you're deciding whether to buy their stuff.
After the sale you get switched over to hours of time on hold to "talk" to a crappy agent from a 12th-world country who mumbles with a thick incomprehensible accent.

My SO subscribes to Consumer Reports; he says CC is very highly rated.
I read somewhere they are particularly supportive and trained in dealing with grumpy old farts like me.
Often we are not as tech savvy as all those young whipper snappers.

I've always hated smartphones and have wanted to stab all their users' eyes out with a red hot ice pick (just kidding) but now that I'm getting one I think we smartphoners are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

People vary.
Some are superior, like us smartphone users. :praise:
Did you know ... having a smart phone makes you smarter?

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Honestly, $25/mo for 6gb sounds like a pretty fair shake. Even a minimalist will push the bounds of the 500mb plan and for a mere $5/mo extra you are getting a much better bang for the buck with the 6gb plan.

Before the end of 2020, about 1-2gb month + wifi usage.

Then we switched to unlimited and while I still use wifi, I stopped monitoring or caring as much. Consequently I'm sitting at 42.6gb right now, and my data doesn't reset until 5/9/21. So it will likely be a 50gb+ month. However, this weekend has been unique. The hotel we were in had really crappy wifi so I used the phone to create a hot spot so we could stream our shows we like to watch in the late evenings. That was worth about 13.5gb of that total I mentioned earlier.

Also, I stream a lot of podcasts, music & audiobooks.

Finally I might add that my new iPhone does 5G and 5G UW (ultra wide) at that. Not everywhere has 5G UW, but it's amazing when you get it. I've hit over 1gb download speeds and just today hit nearly 900gb in the Deep Ellum area of Dallas.

My point being that with higher and higher speeds being pushed and phones getting capabilities to support those higher speeds, the more intensive apps will be built to take advantage of those speeds and will eventually force larger data packages to keep up.

I don't know yet.
Someone else please answer missy's question.

I've never had a smartphone or data plan.
I'm waiting for my SIM card to arrive in the mail.
Then the party can start. :mrgreen:

On iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular and it will give you a breakdown of total data used and also how much each app has used. Very enlightening.

If by chance you are curious how much time you spend staring at the screen, you can go to Settings > Screen Time. Have fun with that. ;)2

LOL, you could probably drop by a local store and pick up a free SIM card if you don't want to wait Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, you could probably drop by a local store and pick up a free SIM card if you don't want to wait Kenny.

Thanks but Consumer Cellular said this SIM card will come already programed or set up with my account.
I told them I could just buy a SIM card immediately locally and they said then I'd have to make an appointment for someone at Target to set it up.
Unlike T-Mobile etc., Consumer cellular has no dedicated stores, just an arrangement with Target.
Maybe that's why their costs are lower.

A bit less convenient, but once I'm up and going I'd rather pay only $20 a month for all the data, voice, and text an old dinosaur like me is likely to need.
If I ever need/want more data I can bump it up to 3 GB for only $5 a month more, or $25.

I really expect to use way under 500MB - so even though you say 6mb is more bang for the buck I just don't need hardly any bang.

If that changes, so be it.
No charge, contract, or time obligation to change month to month terms with Consumer Cellular.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny, have you heard about Google Fi? If your plan doesn't work out for you for some reason, it may be worth a look. I had it for years and my only issue is that coverage was weak in the middle of nowhere when we were in our favorite desert where we spend a lot of time. In your area, you'd have no trouble at all.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Matata. :wavey:
I'll check it out.

But isn't Google one of the worst, along with FB, IG, TWIT, and apple when it comes to agreeing to their Terms means you allow them to spy on not only all of your searches, but all of your content, every keystroke you make and every keystroke made by anyone who communicates with you, and then selling all that very personal info to big data for big bucks - while paying you nothing, and you releasing them from liability when they F up and so hackers are able to steal your super personal info and F u over with identity theft?

But you're right in that I no longer go anywhere. =)

Again, I'm doing this for talk to text and sigaleart.
Nothing else.
No apps for anything ever ......... at least I say that now.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, I'm doing this for talk to text and sigaleart.
Nothing else.
No apps for anything ever

Talk to text and sigalert are apps downloaded from the Google Play Store. If you're that worried about it, don't ever use a phone. As far as I could find, google doesn't track phone calls. It does track nearly everything else. Sigalert hasn't disclosed its privacy practices (at least that I could find) so you have no assurance that it doesn't track your location and travel habits or that it doesn't collect that info for purposes of which you would not approve.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gone to to www.sigaleart.com for years at home on my desktop iMac.
I've never downloaded a single app to it.

Can't I just go on the Internet on a smartphone and type in www.sigalert.com without loading any app?
I thought smartphones were just phones that were also computers in your pocket.

What am I missing?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to text and sigalert are apps downloaded from the Google Play Store. If you're that worried about it, don't ever use a phone. As far as I could find, google doesn't track phone calls. It does track nearly everything else. Sigalert hasn't disclosed its privacy practices (at least that I could find) so you have no assurance that it doesn't track your location and travel habits or that it doesn't collect that info for purposes of which you would not approve.

I love your sigline, "“A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority.”― Booker T. Washington"

It applies massively to religion.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What am I missing?

Re: the sig line. I agree re: religion. I added it when the orange scourge was in the White House. It's still apt, unfortunately, to the current climate of reality denial and conspiracy theory that's rotting the brains of some of our citizens.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Matata.

I intend to download ZERO apps, and use the phone for nearly nothing.
I do not want 99.9999999% of what smartphone users want.
We'll see whether downloading ZERO apps even possible.

My question is still not answered, "can't I just go onto the Internet on a smartphone, then type in www.sigaleart.com without loading an app?
Might anyone here please try that?

Again, I'm only moving to this platform so I can use a smartphone a friend/client gave to me.
She's hired me to do a project that will result in me handling a trillion texts for her.
I can use her phone's talk-to-text feature instead of pressing a trillion buttons to make one text on my stupidphone.

I'll post updates here on the experience of this, the most unusual smartphone user on planet earth.

I smoked pot once and it didn't lead to heroin, so maybe I can resist app-temptation and pull this off.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer tour question, yes you can use a web browser to go to sigalert.com. See the screen cap below using iPhone and Safari browser.

Apps can give additional functionality and sometimes easier navigation. It depends on the app truthfully. Some are amazing and others are a pile of rubbish.

I would like to see an app for this forum, or possible transition to work with Tapatalk or similar. Some of the functionality wouldn’t be so clunky on a cell phone.

3464E185-ACED-4CE7-99CF-B11CD75102B1.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results