shape
carat
color
clarity

What is wrong with this VVS2?

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I have this diamond on hold, but I'm concerned. The price seems less than VS1 and VS2 I color I'm looking at. The price is $6210. HCA 1.5. I know the IS isn't perfect, but is it that bad? I also searched on PS for diamonds I VVS2 in the same carat range and found some lower prices. What possible issues could I have?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-7902304

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-7902304
7902304.jpeg 7902304IS.jpg

They are supposed to get me more images. The original JA VVS2 has pinpoints and clouds. This one has cloud, pinpoint and feather. Should I be concerned about a feather in a VVS2? The HCA is 1.2 EX EX EX VG

1578354817997.png 1578354855012.png

Okay here are the images for the B2C diamond. I need advice on which VVS2 looks better.... the JA from my original post or the B2C?

17785533(4).JPG

17785533(1).JPG 17785533.JPG

17785533(2).JPG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is some manipulation of the girdle, hence the additional green spots on the ASET around the edges.

Also, there are some issues at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions -- you can see these in ASET, arrows image and photo.

Lastly, the stone is obviously not H&A symmetry, but I don't think that was one of your requirements.

Does Brian @ B2C have any additional stones in your budget that he recommends? I can take a peek a little later if you want me to. What I like is he can do the images, including H&A which is nice.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
There is some manipulation of the girdle, hence the additional green spots on the ASET around the edges.

Also, there are some issues at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions -- you can see these in ASET, arrows image and photo.

Lastly, the stone is obviously not H&A symmetry, but I don't think that was one of your requirements.

Does Brian @ B2C have any additional stones in your budget that he recommends? I can take a peek a little later if you want me to. What I like is he can do the images, including H&A which is nice.

Thanks for the insight. I thought it looked like this one had more leakage than the first one I posted. I did look around their website a bit before I got these images. I didn't really see anything in this price range that was in parameters.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Once more - thanks for the mention! Obviously I would not advocate for or against any diamonds on the forum. It might be helpful for the OP to know that many of the PS vendors, like B2C, can access diamonds you won't necessarily see on the diamond search through the websites. It can be helpful to give them a call with specific parameters and preferences and talk to the consumer-relations team directly.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once more - thanks for the mention! Obviously I would not advocate for or against any diamonds on the forum. It might be helpful for the OP to know that many of the PS vendors, like B2C, can access diamonds you won't necessarily see on the diamond search through the websites. It can be helpful to give them a call with specific parameters and preferences and talk to the consumer-relations team directly.

I can vouch for this being a good choice with B2C! I wanted something specific, and they were great at finding multiple options that weren't listed online. I didn't end up buying anything at that time, but wouldn't hesitate to work with them in the future!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hubba hubba. Awesome looking images. Looks like their H&A stone. Notice the drop in size/carat weight for the dollars? There's a reason. But it looks very good.

For a few hundred bucks I'd take the VVS2 clarity, even though it's overkill. Another gorgeous stone with great images and near identical proportions to the above.

Not sure what happened, but this link goes to the last diamond. Here is a corrected link for you:

ASET looks pretty decent. A few things jump out on the ASET -- you have some painting/digging going on. Also, you have those green blobs around the girdle edges.

This stone isn't as strong as your first two, but pretty good despite the 32.5/41.2 combo. This in combo with the larger 59 table and shallow 60.7 depth is giving you a little more spread for the carat weight, almost 6.85mm. I personally don't care for this type of stone personality, but others love it. What you love is what matters most.

The other 1.20 carat stone below (that I don't like) measures up as 6.75mm as comparison, although that stone has it's own issues.

You may ask @Diamond_Hawk if he can post a video of this stone and the first two stones all together. You can get a grasp on size differences, and also compare color differences. More importantly, hopefully he can video in different lighting environments to give you an idea how their personalities may be a little different.

:knockout::knockout::knockout:

Steep crown with steep pavilion. See the light ring in the ASET?

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Hubba hubba. Awesome looking images. Looks like their H&A stone. Notice the drop in size/carat weight for the dollars? There's a reason. But it looks very good.

For a few hundred bucks I'd take the VVS2 clarity, even though it's overkill. Another gorgeous stone with great images and near identical proportions to the above.

Not sure what happened, but this link goes to the last diamond. Here is a corrected link for you:

ASET looks pretty decent. A few things jump out on the ASET -- you have some painting/digging going on. Also, you have those green blobs around the girdle edges.

This stone isn't as strong as your first two, but pretty good despite the 32.5/41.2 combo. This in combo with the larger 59 table and shallow 60.7 depth is giving you a little more spread for the carat weight, almost 6.85mm. I personally don't care for this type of stone personality, but others love it. What you love is what matters most.

The other 1.20 carat stone below (that I don't like) measures up as 6.75mm as comparison, although that stone has it's own issues.

You may ask @Diamond_Hawk if he can post a video of this stone and the first two stones all together. You can get a grasp on size differences, and also compare color differences. More importantly, hopefully he can video in different lighting environments to give you an idea how their personalities may be a little different.

I do see the difference, but am leaning towards a larger stone. How do you think the first JA VVS2 stone I posted compares to these?

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I do see the difference, but am leaning towards a larger stone. How do you think the first JA VVS2 stone I posted compares to these?

Also, how does the first B2C stone compare to this 1.2?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

@sledge. Any of the diamonds from B2C's branded line - "Perfection" - are on site and we would be able to create videos in a variety of settings, and comparisons as you suggest. Those not in the "Perfection" line would likely be located off-site at a diamond partner which significantly decreases the likelihood of the comparisons you suggest - but we will always do everything we can.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A thought on diamond-size vs. diamond cut.

If you search through Rocky Talky you will likely find mention of why the top tier cut diamonds demand a higher premium for less overall carat weight. It has to do with the cost of rough, the amount of 'waste', the attention and craftsmanship needed and a dozen other factors.

All of it boils down to this: The light plays through a well-cut diamond from edge to edge moving efficiently and quickly through the stone returning maximum light to the viewer. This means the full width of the diamond returns light. In some cases a well-cut diamond that has a smaller diameter and less carat weight will appear larger to the viewer than a wider, heavier diamond based on the efficiency of light return.

Everyone has their own priorities and, for some, hitting a certain carat weight might be the most important, for others staying in a prescribed budget (or finding a great deal) may be the over-riding concern, and others still may place their highest priority on top-tier cut. The thrill of the diamond purchase should satisfy the consumer no matter which of these priorities win the day - happy hunting!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, how does the first B2C stone compare to this 1.2?

I will take a peek and offer some comments tommorow AM. My eye lids are getting heavy tonight.

@sledge. Any of the diamonds from B2C's branded line - "Perfection" - are on site and we would be able to create videos in a variety of settings, and comparisons as you suggest. Those not in the "Perfection" line would likely be located off-site at a diamond partner which significantly decreases the likelihood of the comparisons you suggest - but we will always do everything we can.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if your relationship with your supplier may enable you to ship in for more images and video without a firm commitment to buy.

I do understand your side of the equation.

Just my gut says the OP is leaning towards this stone for the fact it's 1.20 and not realizing there may be other characteristics at play besides size.

A thought on diamond-size vs. diamond cut.

If you search through Rocky Talky you will likely find mention of why the top tier cut diamonds demand a higher premium for less overall carat weight. It has to do with the cost of rough, the amount of 'waste', the attention and craftsmanship needed and a dozen other factors.

All of it boils down to this: The light plays through a well-cut diamond from edge to edge moving efficiently and quickly through the stone returning maximum light to the viewer. This means the full width of the diamond returns light. In some cases a well-cut diamond that has a smaller diameter and less carat weight will appear larger to the viewer than a wider, heavier diamond based on the efficiency of light return.

Everyone has their own priorities and, for some, hitting a certain carat weight might be the most important, for others staying in a prescribed budget (or finding a great deal) may be the over-riding concern, and others still may place their highest priority on top-tier cut. The thrill of the diamond purchase should satisfy the consumer no matter which of these priorities win the day - happy hunting!

Well said. I agree on all points.

Edge to edge performance plus a lively and firey stone is the reason I advocate so strongly for ideal cut stones. I fall into the crowd that more isn't always better, and that I want every ounce of what I have to be working at full tilt.

My preferences aside, looking at one of your Perfection stones vs the 1.20 stone with a decent ASET, do you feel there will be enough of a cut difference to overcome 0.30mm difference in spread?

My thoughts are the 1.20 ASET is showing good enough light return that is similar enough to the smaller stones that you won't get a drastic difference like if you had an ideal ASET vs a poor ASET.

However I do think the personalities will be detectable, which is why I mentioned the videos.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this diamond on hold, but I'm concerned. The price seems less than VS1 and VS2 I color I'm looking at. The price is $6210. HCA 1.5. I know the IS isn't perfect, but is it that bad? I also searched on PS for diamonds I VVS2 in the same carat range and found some lower prices. What possible issues could I have?

7902304.jpeg 7902304IS.jpg

Although a little bit outside of typical recommended ideal proportions, I do like a 36/40.6 combo. Everything else seems to be in check on the cert, and the HCA score is good.

Just remember, GIA reports round AND average the 8 actual values of both CA's and PA's. So you may have actual CA's of 35.3, 36.3, 36.1, 35.7, etc.

The HCA then takes this data and makes further assumptions about what the stone may perform like. For sure, this is a good and accurate way to short list stones before diving deeper into analysis, but it's just the first step. Getting a good HCA score isn't the end all.

Because of all the rounding, averaging and assuming this is why HCA also says analyze the stone further and compare against IS images, etc.

Thankfully, we have an IS to do just that. And upon first glance, you may think there is leakage all the way around this stone. However, that is not the case. I do believe you have some true leakage going on from the 10 to 1 o'clock positions I circled in blue below. But the rest of the lighter pink areas I circled in yellow appears to be from over bright backlighting. For control, if you look at the center of the stone that I circled in green, you will see all the areas in yellow are roughly the same pinkish color. Only the areas from 10 to 1 appear to be more white.

Not everyone share's my opinion, but I'd rather have a stone with NO leakage if possible. If that doesn't exist then I might come back to this, but for now I'd skip it.

InkedIScap_LI.jpg

Here is a VS1 I am looking at. Smaller with a bit of a higher price $6340. HCA 1.7 4-VG and looks its size.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8052772

8052772.jpeg

8052772IS.jpg

This is a weird stone for me. Kind of getting a 60/60 but with a 35.5/40.6 combo. That's odd because most 60/60's will have something more like a 33/41 or similar combo. Basically shallower crown and steeper pavilion.

The IS image does look solid though. And maybe your eyes will like it.

I would like to mention the size. This is just barely smaller than the first stone. 1.21 vs 1.18 carats is marginal. Personally I think weight is a bad metric to analyze, because each stone's proportions is a different and since carat weight includes depth, then as those proportions change so does the size/spread of the stone.

The first stone was also bigger in spread at 6.80 x 6.83mm but this stone is so similar at 6.75 x 6.78mm. A difference of only 0.05mm or less. Most humans can't even detect a size difference until you start getting around the 0.20mm mark. And to put things in perspective, a sheet of paper has a width/depth of 0.10mm so if you can imagine the tiny sliver of paper and then cut that in half, that is what we are talking about.

I think it was 8281142 (i think the HCA score was not good on this one) I asked about and was told 8077286 was a better option. Price $5750. This one worries me becasue it is IGI certified. That makes me wonder about the color. 1.6 VG VG VG EX Looks Bigger.

8077286.jpeg 8077286IS.jpeg

Depth on this stone is 59.5, table is 60.5 with a 33.5/41 combo. Not sure the LGF's but judging how skinny the arrows are in the IS and video, I'd guess 80+.

Visually this stone does not look appealing to me, but the IS actually shows decent light return.

Also, looking at the video, the stone appears to have a brown tint to it, as opposed to yellow. Some like that, but most don't.

On a positive, look at the spread -- 6.92 x 6.96mm. That is much bigger than either of the two previous stones for essentially the same carat weight. Notice how proportions are playing into it like I mentioned earlier?

Lastly, the thing I really dislike with this stone is the IGI cert. Unfortunately, IGI-USA has a reputation of being unreliable so I don't trust the data. Who knows if the color and clarity is really what it's being reported as. What I do know is price is based upon what that the report states, rather it's that way IRL or not.

I would like to clarify though the report mentions Antwerp by the date. I am not certain if that is signifying their lab in Antwerp did the grading. From what I understand their international operations are more reliable. But I also believe HRD or GIA wold be the more likely candidate even in Antwerp.

For me it boils down to trust. I don't spend money or do deals where there is a trust concern or I don't understand what I'm getting into. For that reason I'd walk on this stone.

7842946 was also an option when it was priced at $5860. Now priced at $6100. HCA 1.6 VG EX VG VG Looks its size. JA told me there wasn't an IS.

7842946.jpeg

Who knows....maybe. It has potential proportions, but I'd want to see an IS image to confirm. Too bad they can't provide.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's you another alternate.

WF PS 1.14 I SI1 @ $6,136 wire

I know...SI1 clarity. But look at the cert and the video. This stone does not appear to have any clarity issues. Additionally the WF site indicates it's eye clean.

The carat weight is a smidge light from 1.20 but the spread is 6.71 x 6.72mm. That's only about 0.10mm (thickness of a piece of copy paper) away. For me, that would be close enough, but I do understand that sometimes there are psychological blocks to hit a certain carat weight even if the size isn't significant.

But here's what I love about the stone....

56 table, 61.7 depth, 35 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF & 50 stars

The ASET image is great. The IS image is great. There are some very tiny variances in the hearts image, but this stone has near perfect symmetry and would meet H&A status with other vendors.

If all that isn't great...watch the video. Hello sparkle bomb, I'd like to introduce you to @TheLady!

This stone is priced right, and is part of WF's fantastic trade-up program that includes their ACA, ES and PS lines. Simply spend $1 more and get full credit of original stone towards a new one. No other strings.

1578684792702.png

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Here's you another alternate.

WF PS 1.14 I SI1 @ $6,136 wire

I know...SI1 clarity. But look at the cert and the video. This stone does not appear to have any clarity issues. Additionally the WF site indicates it's eye clean.

The carat weight is a smidge light from 1.20 but the spread is 6.71 x 6.72mm. That's only about 0.10mm (thickness of a piece of copy paper) away. For me, that would be close enough, but I do understand that sometimes there are psychological blocks to hit a certain carat weight even if the size isn't significant.

But here's what I love about the stone....

56 table, 61.7 depth, 35 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF & 50 stars

The ASET image is great. The IS image is great. There are some very tiny variances in the hearts image, but this stone has near perfect symmetry and would meet H&A status with other vendors.

If all that isn't great...watch the video. Hello sparkle bomb, I'd like to introduce you to @TheLady!

This stone is priced right, and is part of WF's fantastic trade-up program that includes their ACA, ES and PS lines. Simply spend $1 more and get full credit of original stone towards a new one. No other strings.

1578684792702.png

Thanks for all your insight and this option. This stone looks beautiful, however I'm not sure my mind could let go of the SI1. I think I need to make a decision quickly tho. I was just going over about 20 diamonds I had looked at on JA and all have gone up in price.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I've offically driven myself crazy. My friends mother has a beautiful 7+ carat RB I VS1. At least this is what she told me. We looked at her grading report and its an I VS2 VG cut. The problem is even going down to a VS2 I'm not really seeing anything bigger or better than the original stone from JA. I know I could get a precise cut, but I don't know if I owuld notice any difference without comparing stones. My one concern about the JA stone..is it yellow. Comparng videos from BN and JA. The JA videos seem to show a lot more color than the BN videos.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not really seeing anything bigger or better than the original stone from JA. I know I could get a precise cut, but I don't know if I owuld notice any difference without comparing stones.

I still think the original 1.21 IVVS is a good stone.
I think the leakage is exaggerated in the IS. It is probably partially due the diamond being tilted and potentially bad positioning of camera and ideal scope. I do not see noticeable mushiness, leakage, diamond body color in the video. It is very white and crisp with good light reflection.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if your relationship with your supplier may enable you to ship in for more images and video without a firm commitment to buy.

We have relationships with different suppliers/vendors across the world. Some are located in the US, others in Europe or Asia. While our agreement with these diamond-partners is consistent in most ways- and allows a huge selection at a great price-point - they have varying ability to get photos, images or videos when we request them.

Often times, prior to the sale, if the partner does not have the needed equipment, we can get the diamond into our New York offices and make those pictures and videos ourselves but sometimes not. This is why we don't function as a typical "drop-shipper." Every diamond is inspected prior to making a sale (we just this week had to tell a customer we would not sell a diamond to her because it had a milky appearance when viewed by a gemologist) and then again in our New York offices before it is shipped to them. Hopefully that gives the consumer more security than having a virtual stone sent directly to them. Even with that QC in place, we still offer a 30-day no questions asked return policy.

We hope providing all these 'safeguards' off-sets any trepidation a buyer may feel if they want to see and hold a diamond, get to know the diamond's personality, in person before making the final decision. I hope that clarifies.

Well said. I agree on all points.

Edge to edge performance plus a lively and firey stone is the reason I advocate so strongly for ideal cut stones. I fall into the crowd that more isn't always better, and that I want every ounce of what I have to be working at full tilt.

My preferences aside, looking at one of your Perfection stones vs the 1.20 stone with a decent ASET, do you feel there will be enough of a cut difference to overcome 0.30mm difference in spread?

My thoughts are the 1.20 ASET is showing good enough light return that is similar enough to the smaller stones that you won't get a drastic difference like if you had an ideal ASET vs a poor ASET.

However I do think the personalities will be detectable, which is why I mentioned the videos.

Boy - I would not presume to comment on the difference without seeing both diamonds side-by-side. And I'm pretty sure offering my opinions on these diamonds violate the forum rules in any event.

I will say this - I, like you, prefer the entire diamond to be working full-tilt.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I received the 1.21 I VVS2 (GIA) and the 1.21 I VS1 (IGI)

Honestly, I'm not sure I can tell any difference between the two. What testing should I be doing?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the 1.21 I VVS2 (GIA) and the 1.21 I VS1 (IGI)

Honestly, I'm not sure I can tell any difference between the two. What testing should I be doing?

There has been a great deal of discussion over whether a SuperIdeal is noticeably different to a good GIA XXX stone, so I'm pleased that you have options to assess with your own eyes! :))

First things first, make sure to look at them over something that will catch them softly and securely if you drop them - you don't want to have to spend an afternoon on your knees in the garden ;)) or wondering if the stone you've just dropped on the tiled kitchen floor has been damaged!

Use a stone holder if you have one (or two?) - either the ring version or the 'grabber' tool version. Avoid touching the stones with your fingers as you will coat them with oils that reduces their performance and will mean they need cleaning.

Look at them in a range of lighting environments, side-by-side, ideally at the same angle (if possible - I know it is hard to do!) to see how they perform in sunlight / spotlights / 'flat' cloudy weather / flat/diffuse uplighters / etc. Also see how they look in dark environments - perhaps turn everything but the TV off, to replicate a cinema or concert hall environment.

They will look different depending on the light source. Single light source (e.g. the sun or a single lamp) will likely be sparkly but potentially looking dark outside the flashes. A multiple point-source environment (kitchen downlighters) should give lots of fire and sparkle :) Flat/diffuse lighting should mean very few/no flashes of fire, but instead the stone will look bright white.

A good stone will be bright from edge to edge. A poor stone might be dark round the edges and/or dark/leaky in the middle. I am hoping both options are the first!

There might be some minor areas of leakage at some angles if the ASETscope images highlight it, but they might also be lost in the sparkle and not that noticeable in flat lighting.

See if you can see a difference or if one calls to you more for reasons you can't pin down :)

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
There has been a great deal of discussion over whether a SuperIdeal is noticeably different to a good GIA XXX stone, so I'm pleased that you have options to assess with your own eyes! :))

First things first, make sure to look at them over something that will catch them softly and securely if you drop them - you don't want to have to spend an afternoon on your knees in the garden ;)) or wondering if the stone you've just dropped on the tiled kitchen floor has been damaged!

Use a stone holder if you have one (or two?) - either the ring version or the 'grabber' tool version. Avoid touching the stones with your fingers as you will coat them with oils that reduces their performance and will mean they need cleaning.

Look at them in a range of lighting environments, side-by-side, ideally at the same angle (if possible - I know it is hard to do!) to see how they perform in sunlight / spotlights / 'flat' cloudy weather / flat/diffuse uplighters / etc. Also see how they look in dark environments - perhaps turn everything but the TV off, to replicate a cinema or concert hall environment.

They will look different depending on the light source. Single light source (e.g. the sun or a single lamp) will likely be sparkly but potentially looking dark outside the flashes. A multiple point-source environment (kitchen downlighters) should give lots of fire and sparkle :) Flat/diffuse lighting should mean very few/no flashes of fire, but instead the stone will look bright white.

A good stone will be bright from edge to edge. A poor stone might be dark round the edges and/or dark/leaky in the middle. I am hoping both options are the first!

There might be some minor areas of leakage at some angles if the ASETscope images highlight it, but they might also be lost in the sparkle and not that noticeable in flat lighting.

See if you can see a difference or if one calls to you more for reasons you can't pin down :)

That you for all the advice. On first glance I actually think the GIA stone is more yellow. Neither stone looks yellow, but when comparing the two I would say the GIA stone has more yellow tint. This surprises me as the other stone is IGI rated and had a brown tint in the videos. Another strange thing with the IGI stone. JA called me the day it was shipping and said it was certified again by IGI and was now a VVS2 not a VS1. They asked if this was OK and if i still wanted the stone. Is this strange? The date on the IGI report they emailed me originally was Nov 8, 2019. The one mailed with the stone is Nov 27, 2019. Both state Antwerp before the date. The depth was also missing from the first certificate.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That you for all the advice. On first glance I actually think the GIA stone is more yellow. Neither stone looks yellow, but when comparing the two I would say the GIA stone has more yellow tint. This surprises me as the other stone is IGI rated and had a brown tint in the videos. Another strange thing with the IGI stone. JA called me the day it was shipping and said it was certified again by IGI and was now a VVS2 not a VS1. They asked if this was OK and if i still wanted the stone. Is this strange? The date on the IGI report they emailed me originally was Nov 8, 2019. The one mailed with the stone is Nov 27, 2019. Both state Antwerp before the date. The depth was also missing from the first certificate.
Each grading band has a range within it, with the bands getting wider the lower you go down the scale - so, for example, you might well have a 'low I' that is nearer a J, and a 'high I' that is nearer an H.

Videos on the interweb can't always be trusted, though - different lighting setups, different colour temperature settings within the cameras, different colour calibration on your screen when compared to the recording screen... lol. Viewing in person is a lot more reliable, though admittedly more faff!

If you can see more tint on one than the other (look from the top and the sides) that is neither good nor bad - it is what it is. As long as they are graded and priced with comparable stones, that is fine. Colour sensitivity is one thing, colour preference another, so it is good to work out what you can detect and what you can like :)

Interesting that they had the stone regraded - I know that the 'SuperIdeal' vendors here will resubmit a stone if they feel a grade is incorrect (whether too high or too low) so it might have been the case here. VVS might command a higher price - if it is the stone you prefer (if indeed you like either or both of them) then confirm if the pricing changes or if they will honour the original price you saw. (Although as I'm typing this I'm thinking you must already have paid if you have both in-hand!)

I'm not sure how the different IGI grading houses compare - IIRC some are better than others and more closely align with GIA/AGS grading, but others are 'softer'.

Have you been spending more time getting distracted by them? :D lol

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Each grading band has a range within it, with the bands getting wider the lower you go down the scale - so, for example, you might well have a 'low I' that is nearer a J, and a 'high I' that is nearer an H.

Videos on the interweb can't always be trusted, though - different lighting setups, different colour temperature settings within the cameras, different colour calibration on your screen when compared to the recording screen... lol. Viewing in person is a lot more reliable, though admittedly more faff!

If you can see more tint on one than the other (look from the top and the sides) that is neither good nor bad - it is what it is. As long as they are graded and priced with comparable stones, that is fine. Colour sensitivity is one thing, colour preference another, so it is good to work out what you can detect and what you can like :)

Interesting that they had the stone regraded - I know that the 'SuperIdeal' vendors here will resubmit a stone if they feel a grade is incorrect (whether too high or too low) so it might have been the case here. VVS might command a higher price - if it is the stone you prefer (if indeed you like either or both of them) then confirm if the pricing changes or if they will honour the original price you saw. (Although as I'm typing this I'm thinking you must already have paid if you have both in-hand!)

I'm not sure how the different IGI grading houses compare - IIRC some are better than others and more closely align with GIA/AGS grading, but others are 'softer'.

Have you been spending more time getting distracted by them? :D lol

They've been traveling all over the house with me. They both look bright and white to me. Both have sparkle. Both have fire. I'm not sure if I'm looking at two great stones or two just okay stones. I thought I would notice some differences between the two, but I'm not seeing it. I do actually notice the size difference..even tho its only .1 mm. I do see a tiny black hole in the center of both when I tilt the stones? Is this normal? That hole does seem to be a bit larger on the 60/60 stone.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 'black hole' is just something that some stones have, I believe, and depends on lighting, environment, clothing... Someone else reported it recently!

I'm glad you are testing them out thoroughly :)

Make sure to check when they are due back - e.g. is it X days from arrival? X days from purchase? Does it have to back on the last day of the X days? Or just posted back (with tracking number) on the last day?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the IGI stone, I suspect the large table, shallow depth and shallow crown is creating some obstruction (dark area). If you notice from 1' away, have you tried extending your arm further away, say 2-3' and when you do so does the dark spot go away?

The HCA provides a warning about this being a possibility.

shallow girl gif.gif

CaptureIGI121.PNG

On the GIA stone I suspect one of the actual pavilion mains slipped below 40.5 and is causing a similar issue. As already noted, the reported values of 40.6 is derived by taking the 8 actual values and rounding then averaging them.

CaptureGIA121.PNG

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I've been wandering around with both diamonds in the grabber thing. They both look about the same with lots of sparkle and fire. I took a cheap ring and bent the prongs back in order to place the stone on my finger. Both stones look blah to me when in the ring. Still lots of fire and sparkle, but drab. Dark maybe. Comparing it to my stud earring (2 carats) I guess it looks the same. Maybe the smaller diamond is just underwhelming me. Could it be the cheap ring setting?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Then don't keep either one. Sometimes a stone sounds great on paper but irl it's just blah.
I had that at Tiffany's. I thought for sure I will love their diamonds, but nope. Going above initial budget, in all lighting just did nothing for me.
I thought I'm crazy, who doesn't love a tiffany stone?!
But it needs to make your heart sing & you smile from ear to ear - then you know it's the right stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results