shape
carat
color
clarity

What is wrong with this picture ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Equator

Rough_Rock
I recently had some spare time (which is quite rare these days), and went to a jewellery sector in my city. Some of the shops sold second hand items and I stumbled upon these studs.

They sparkle really nicely, and there is a bit of colour (but is whiter than my certified K stone). Both are eye clean no matter where I tilt it. Under the loupe, the inclusions are 3 tiny carbon spots in the stone and a little chip in the girdle on one stone, and a crystal and light feathers in the other.

I know that you can''t tell a lot just from pictures, adn that cut is the number one thing we should keep in mind. But if these stones are 85pts each (just from the diameter, because they are mounted) at about 6.1mm and for sale for about 3,650USD in 18K White Gold (tested), how bad can it be?

Oh, and the jeweller lets me take these pictures myself, because I''ve bought some items from him in the past.

pairstuds18kbuyornot.JPG

Equator

Rough_Rock
Here is the one with the carbon dots

1ctcarbuyornot.JPG

Equator

Rough_Rock
And the one with the crystal

Equator

Rough_Rock
Oopss... I meant, this is the one with the crystals.....

1ctcrystbuyornot.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure that I know what you are asking. But if you are thinking about buying them, here''s my advice.

I think I''d get them appraised independantly, because I''d want to know what I was buying. Saying that they are whiter than K and generally eyeclean doesn''t mean much in terms of figuring out if you''ve got a good value. Plus I am assuming your K is well cut and masking color face up. They aren''t certed.

If they are L SI2-I1''s (since their clarities look different) at .85 carats with traditional cutting... that''s a very different thing than H or I VS2-SI1. You can always get them recut to improve their looks... but the first thing is to find out if it''s a good deal, or if you are getting ''only'' what you paid for.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 2:42:42 AM
Author: Gypsy
I'm not sure that I know what you are asking. But if you are thinking about buying them, here's my advice.

I think I'd get them appraised independantly, because I'd want to know what I was buying. Saying that they are whiter than K and generally eyeclean doesn't mean much in terms of figuring out if you've got a good value. Plus I am assuming your K is well cut and masking color face up. They aren't certed.

If they are L SI2-I1's (since their clarities look different) at .85 carats with traditional cutting... that's a very different thing than H or I VS2-SI1. You can always get them recut to improve their looks... but the first thing is to find out if it's a good deal, or if you are getting 'only' what you paid for.
Ditto. Heres a list you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Equator

Rough_Rock
Yes, they aren''t certified, but my K is, because I bought them in the US (instead of some remote country in which I live). =) In saying that, I don''t think that these stones would be enhanced stones (I don''t think they have the tech here... ??). But, are you saying that they are traditional cut ? What is a traditional cut anyway ? And is that a bad thing ??

So, thanks for the link to appraisers, Lorelei, but I can''t use them, and I''m not planning another trip to the US for a long time, now. The dollar isn''t on my side at this point. =( Hence my posting here to hear (read) what you have to say (write).

I wasn''t planning on buying anything huge at the moment. And I''m posting out of curiousity. However, if it''s a very good deal (as I see many people starting to sell their jewellries lately), I might consider it (or nudging hubby towards the right direction).

OK, maybe worst case scenario, say they are MI1 stones of anywhere between .80 to .90 each (because one stone has quite a thick girdle). I am pretty sure that they aren''t shallow cut when I saw them from the sides. Is that an expensive price tag ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash has I SI superideal cut 1.5 ctw studs for 4500. So, I wouldn''t say it''s expensive, but I would say that it''s not a deal either.

If they dropped the price by 1,000 maybe I''d take the chance. But short of that, I think they are priced at what they are worth (and maybe a little bit more than they are worth depending on what color and clarity they really are).

Equator

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, Gypsy.

Just out of curiosity (again), when you mentioned traditional cut, is it necessarily a bad thing ?

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I forgot you asked that.

It's not a bad thing, necessarily.At least, in the context of my comment, I didn't mean it as a bad thing. What I meant is that the earrings aren't ideal or super ideal cuts, they are 'average' cuts (look like they have nice small tables though)... which means that they aren't cut for maximum light return, briliance and scintillation. So the cut isn't going to mask too much color. I don't know what the cut on your ring is, but if it is a good enough cut that it IS masking color in your K... comparing the two size by side face up as a way to judge color isn't going to help with anything. Plus, flourescence can also mask color or brighten a stone's color face up... so if your stone or those have it, that could skew color comparison. The only way to truly use your ring diamond to guide you in terms of color of other stones is to see them side by side FACE DOWN. No light return masking color and you can (assuming your stone is reliably graded) then see if the other stones, face down, are lighter or darker and to check your stone and theirs for flourescence as well.

As for whether or not 'traditional' cut is good or bad... it's a matter of opinion.
This thread highlights the debate (it's a grouchy thread with a lot of snide comments back and forth, but if you focus on David (RockDiamonds) conversatio with John Pollard you should get the jist without too much snark) between someone who is talking about the attributes of traditional cuts (David/Rockdiamond) and someone who is talking about the attributes of ideal cuts (John Pollard).

My personal opinion is that I would buy a traditional cut pre-owned diamond in a heartbeat if it is the right size and price (very discounted), and then get it re-cut to improve light performance by a cutter who cuts ideals and superideals. I prefer a very well cut stone, but I doesn't stop me from seeing potential in less perfectly stones, if they are a true value. My issue with the earrings you posted is that with the little information at hand, they don't seem to be discounted enough to make it worth the risk and the cost/expense and process of re-cutting. Drop the price by a thousand... and then the become attractive enough to possibly buy them (make sure you have a return policy) and send them off for an evaluation and re-cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results