shape
carat
color
clarity

What is wrong with my old cut diamond???

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Hi All :) I purchased some time ago and old gents ring for the stone that was set in it. I think it was a good price at $650. The stone is 90 pts. I removed the diamond to have it reset into a pendant. There were some chips on the girdle but I had it set to disguise that as much as possible. Whilst I love the stone, for some reason it doesnt sparkle like other old cuts I have.

I have been tossing up whether to recut but I dont want it to be a modern cut, is it possible to retain the old cut but improve the stone? I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me what is "wrong" with the stone and whether its worth trying to improve it :read:

I appreciate any help :D

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
closer up

IMG_3845.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin recut my old cut and kept the old cut faceting but got rid of a chip for me and improved it's light performance by miles. I would send your stone to Brian and have him evaluate it and tell you if it is a good candidate for a recut. He will tell you the truth right away. My diamond shines like a beacon now, it's incredible.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center is pretty far off on this one.
Neither the table or the culet are centered with respect to the girdle, also the culet and table are not even lined up with each other.
Light is being sent all over the place instead of being symmetrically directed back up to your eye.
I suspect re centering it will improve the light performance but result in substantial weight loss.

I second the suggestion of calling Brian Gavin.
If I had that diamond that's what I'd do.
Ask him how much weight loss there would be to retain the old style but improve the light performance.

Also I notice it's not really round but not really cushion shape.
The table looks round but the girdle looks almost cushion shape. (of course the setting make is look more square)
I think this could be called a "Save Weight" shape. :wink2:
You have to decide which shape you want and let the cutter start from there.

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Wow Kenny thanks so much that makes a lot of sense. Indeed it is a bit all over the place!

Gypsy thanks for the suggestion of Brian Gavin I will look into it, and I'm glad to hear I can retain the older style.

Lucky it was a cheap stone I guess...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is adorably wonky ::) I have an antique cushion like that, with the culet well off to the side, too.

I might inquire about having the chip dealt with - I suspect that would help w/ edge-edge light return, but I wouldn't bother with a recut or anything like that. For me a big part of the appeal of old cuts is their character - wonky shapes, wonky faceting, and I can forgive wonky light return in a particularly cute specimen ::)

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1306707392|2933289 said:
It is adorably wonky ::) I have an antique cushion like that, with the culet well off to the side, too.

I might inquire about having the chip dealt with - I suspect that would help w/ edge-edge light return, but I wouldn't bother with a recut or anything like that. For me a big part of the appeal of old cuts is their character - wonky shapes, wonky faceting, and I can forgive wonky light return in a particularly cute specimen ::)

Thanks Yssie I do love the cut just wished it had a little more sparkle :) It is a cutie though...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results