shape
carat
color
clarity

What Is Type II Classification? Brilliant Earth?

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Hi

I am looking at brilliant earths lab grown diamonds and I am bit confused as when I go to the "Electronic Copy" it has in the comments "this is a laboratory grown diamond is classified as Type II".

Does this mean anything?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Type 2 diamonds have no nitrogen impurities, this is a trait of man grown diamonds created in an artificial environment.
However, it has no real life implications in eras of affecting appearance or structure.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
Type 2 diamonds have no nitrogen impurities, this is a trait of man grown diamonds created in an artificial environment.
However, it has no real life implications in eras of affecting appearance or structure.

So all companies lab grown diamonds will be type II?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two types of cultured diamond methods-
High pressure, high heat (HPHT) and Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD).
There are 4 types of diamonds relating to their nitrogen component being 1a (near colourless) 1b (yellow) 2a (near colourless) and 2b (Blue)
Cultured diamonds can’t be made as type 1a, most are type 2 a. It is rare to get a cultured diamond as either a type 1b or type 2b.
Most natural diamonds are type 1a.
These slight chemical differences is how an advanced lab can identify a cultured diamond. From a consumers perspective, the diamond type has no visible or structural differences, it’s at an “atom level”.

chobo2

Rough_Rock
There are two types of cultured diamond methods-
High pressure, high heat (HPHT) and Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD).
There are 4 types of diamonds relating to their nitrogen component being 1a (near colourless) 1b (yellow) 2a (near colourless) and 2b (Blue)
Cultured diamonds can’t be made as type 1a, most are type 2 a. It is rare to get a cultured diamond as either a type 1b or type 2b.
Most natural diamonds are type 1a.
These slight chemical differences is how an advanced lab can identify a cultured diamond. From a consumers perspective, the diamond type has no visible or structural differences, it’s at an “atom level”.

Thanks, ok so this is so really is nothing I need to be too concerned about as it changes nothing with the look of the diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ok so this is so really is nothing I need to be too concerned about as it changes nothing with the look of the diamond.
I think I'm correct in saying IIa diamonds are rare in Mined stones, and that they have a kind of 'super-clear' look to them - I may be wrong, have a read up on them, the science is quite cool :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, type 2a diamonds from the natural environment are seen as a “purer” diamond and with better optic potential, but are rare.
So technically a cultured diamond is a “purer” diamond being a type 2 but the bottom line is that these differences are at an atomic level and so don’t result in a diamond that, to the human eye, is discernibly different,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results