shape
carat
color
clarity

What is to Shallow of a Cut???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ohiojagerguy

Rough_Rock
I have been reading and reading, looking and looking, and I still cant come to a conclusion on what is preferable measurements to fall between. I know for princess cut there is not really a set of rules like there are for round diamonds. I have seen some around 1 carat which is what I am looking fo,r that have 69% table 76.7% measurements are 5.42x5.28x4.05 that had ALOT of pop to it. I have also been told a 1 carat princess should be around 5.50mm x 5.50mm is this just preferance or for what purpose? Is a 1.08 carat princess cut with measurments of 5.98-5.90-3.50 to shallow? Just looking for some help as I want to get a dimaond online as all the brick and mortar stores I go to take you directly to there high end stuff that we all know is marked up way more than what you can find it for online from a reptuable vendor? I know the length to width measurements are more of a prefrane and correct me if I am wrong are the same as symmety?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey, I probably told you it should be about 5.5. the other one you said is 5.35 which is close to 5.5

I told you this when you were considering a stone that was like 5.1. Why pay for a stone that is a ct but looks like a .8 ct?

On PS, shallow and deep rarely refer to the depth or the spread, because depth is depth and spread is spread!

ohiojagerguy

Rough_Rock
Yeah i thought the larger the measurements the larger the stone will be from the top. So I think I understand it, a 1 carat diamond 5.25x5.25 will be deeper in cut and appear smaller from the top but a 5.90x5.90 will be shallower in cut and appear larger, question is the is there such thing as to shallow of a cut on a 1 carat princess?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When a diamond is too shallow is when it begins to loose some light return and increases light leakage. Exactly when that begins visually is according to your own eyes. Overly deep must mean overly small in visual appearance. Again, how sensitive you are to the small changes is subjective and personal. The charts which give guidance on this are helpful. More shallow than 2B will be visibly different than better stones. Generally with princess cuts the depth gets overly deep and the same rule I use is deeper than 2B becomes overly deep. Some people may have slightly different feelings on this, but you must make a choice based on what your own eyes tell you. Overly deep diamonds may look agreeable, but they also look smaller. Overly shallow leak potential light return and are not as lively. Prices asked generally take into consideration the facts about cut quality, but you should be cautious and not assume this is 100%.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds as you''ve looked already- and that''s a good thing.
"Ideal" cut diamonds are very popular on PS- Infinity cuts AMAZING 0 Cut grade AGS Princesses.
But remember that not everyone likes the look of Ideal cut better.

I''ve sen a lot of really nice looking princess cuts that fall way outside the numbers ranges you''ll see here.
The measurements you listed (5.98-5.90-3.50 ) work out to about 59% depth- which is clearly on the low side of average.
But as Dave mentioned, some people can see "leakage" others can''t.
Personally I''d love to see that stone, as the depth means it must look pretty large.My feeling is that if you don''t notice any visual shortcomings, and the stone is priced commensurately, there''s'' nothing that would stop me.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results