shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lyndra

Rough_Rock
It''s a brown blue stone that has no backing, there is no damage to the setting to suggest there ever was. My Grandmother wore it at her wedding but I have no idea what it is

bluerock.JPG

lyndra

Rough_Rock
Another view of the pendant, from a different angle

brownstone.JPG

lyndra

Rough_Rock
Showing a transition between the two

brownblu.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
On the first photo it looks like an opal (which would also explain color transitions), but I''ve never heard of opals showing brown
33.gif
Boulder can be brown, but that doesen''t look like a layer of opal on boulder. How the back looks?

lyndra

Rough_Rock
The back looks exactly the same but not curved, it shows the same colour change

lyndra

Rough_Rock
Here''s the photo

backimm.JPG

lyndra

Rough_Rock
and from the side..

I''ve just had a friend suggest it could be Iolite but I have no idea

sideimm.JPG

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
That stone reminds me a lot of a ring my late brother had, many years ago. The stone was Lapis. I could be wrong (probably am), but that was my first thought when I saw this.
That is a really beautiful and interesting stone!
1.gif
Hope someone can positively identify it for you!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 5:37:34 AM
Author: lyndra
and from the side..

That''s an interesting idea, not impossible at all I''d say. It would explain the colors, but that blue is a bit unusual shade for an iolite IMO. Is there any way you could check if it''s singly or doubly refractive (like trying to look through it and observing if images show double egdes)? That would eliminate a few things, but for exact identification you need an expert to check it out in person.

lyndra

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 5:57:44 AM
Author: ma re
Date: 11/18/2008 5:37:34 AM

Author: lyndra

and from the side..

That''s an interesting idea, not impossible at all I''d say. It would explain the colors, but that blue is a bit unusual shade for an iolite IMO. Is there any way you could check if it''s singly or doubly refractive (like trying to look through it and observing if images show double egdes)? That would eliminate a few things, but for exact identification you need an expert to check it out in person.

it''s not really clear enough to see through, you can see shadow but that''s it, a clear shadow with only one edge can be seen through it when held up to the light with a finger about 10 cm away from it.

I will get it taken to a jeweler at some point but at the moment I''m just trying to satisfy my curiosity because I don''t know what it is and it''s annoying me
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool stone! Ar first I guessed an opal too until I saw the back, which did not look like any opal I''ve ever seen. Interesting that it could be an iolite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That screams out opal to me. I''ve seen ones like that which go from blue to brown in the boulder variety.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 8:58:41 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That screams out opal to me. I''ve seen ones like that which go from blue to brown in the boulder variety.
But with them, the brown part is boulder, and the part that exhibits change of colour is the opal layer on top of it i.e. brown part of opal can''t change in any other color unless there''s a layer of opal covering it, in which case you can''t see brown boulder through it in the first place. Observe the video: http://www.opalsdownunder.com.au/details.php?ID=20102340

Not to mention you can''t see anything through boulder - you can try though
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, perhaps it''s not exactly a boulder opal, but a black opal, or some kind of crystal opal. I wonder what happens to the colors in opal if they also dry out after a long period of time?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It seems, to me, like fire agate, although I haven''t seen any with that sort of blue.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Very nice pendant.
From the pictures, I am guessing it''s a very dark black crystal Opal with a royal blue play of color.

Joker....

JaxBradGG

Rough_Rock
that is an opal for sure. Not a normal play of color but if it is natural than it is pretty cool(i say "if" because that one picture showing play of color looks similar to what synthetics show called snake-skin or columnar play of color). I think it is safe to say it IS NOT iolite and based on the pics Opal/ Syn Opal. I lean toward Natural because of the size and the cut.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JaxBradGG

Rough_Rock
it could be labrodorite...i am being thrown off by that 2nd pic where it shows the color in "patches". Without seeing it in person it is tough to say. Labradorite will have a broad color flash that is mostly blue, but also has other colors so that is possible. Still looks like opal to me though.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's translucent black opal showing blue color play. It's almost certainly from Lightning Ridge, Australia. I've cut quite a few stones almost exactly like it. Many opals of that type have "mossy" dark inclusions of varying size that can be seen in strong transmitted light.

The stone in the image is the same general type. It isn't crystal because it's translucent, not transparent. The mossy wisps are are black common opal (no color play) in the translucent opal. Opals with brownish "potch color" are fairly common. They often appears gray or black when viewed face-up and only show brown in transmitted light.

Richard M.

BlackOpal.JPG

JaxBradGG

Rough_Rock
Those are some good comparison picks! I agree. Opal for sure!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, whatever Grandma''s stone is, it''s very pretty.
emsmile.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Very cool opal! I love the blue play of color.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 4:52:43 PM
Author: coatimundi
Very cool opal! I love the blue play of color.
Ditto; I love the color too!!!
30.gif

lyndra

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your help on this, not knowing what this stone is has really become a pet peeve of mine and no matter how much googling I’ve done I haven’t been able to come up with any ideas! It is a lovely pendant it’s just baffling to figure out what it is!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results