shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this yellow substance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarin

Rough_Rock
Saturday my diamond w/prongs broke off my setting. The jeweler drilled out the old prong setting post and put in a new one. There is a yellow like color where the new prong setting was set (ring is platinum) and now my diamond looks quite yellow. Around the prongs, the diamond looks yellow and black. Almost like it was burned. Do you have any idea what might have happened? It was unfortunate enough to almost have lost the entire diamond. Now it looks awful.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Quite possible that your jeweller replaced the platinum
prong with a white gold one.

White gold has a tint of yellow in it.

Kirk

Mandarin

Rough_Rock
What would be the yellow and black marks directly on the diamond?

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Why didn't your jeweler replace the whole head? It will be interesting to see if any of the other's think replacing just one prong is common practice. As far as the black & yellow on your diamond, I've never heard of heat changing a diamond unless it's been treated in some way. I could be wrong, so don't panic. I would advise you to take your ring back to the jeweler & demand the answers to your questions. Let him know that you're not at all happy with the appearance of your ring & you want it done right. BTW, did you purchase your diamond & ring from him/her?

Mandarin

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response. The entire prong setting was replaced. They drilled out the old one (the part that was still in the ring itself), put in a new one and now the diamond is more yellow in color and has black and yellow around the pavilion. I did have a chance to speak to another jeweler today that believes the diamond may be burnt. I absolutely am going back to the jeweler that did the repair (plat setting bought from them, diamond purchased elsewhere). My fear is that they did damage it and will not accept responsibility.
cry.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try cleaning the stone with a toothbrush and some sudsy ammonia or windex or similar...around the area where it looks dark. It could just be collected dirt which will make the stone look very dark. In my other post I said that I did not think it was possible for the diamond to turn colors from being burnt..I read that in my GIA course materials and it said nothing about yellow or BLACK on a burnt stone, it showed a picture of a burnt stone and the stone was milky and white.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Mandarin, there's a very good chance that the black is polishing compound which was not completely cleaned out in the ultrasonic. Mara's suggestion about cleaning it out with the toothbrush is a good idea.

The yellow and black being collected around the prongs further suggests that it might be dried up residue which wasn't properly cleaned off. The yellow might be residual pickling solution.

Regardless, what it probably needs is a good cleaning with a toothbrush in hot water and cleaning solution. Alternatively, you could take it back to the jeweler and have him leave it in the ultrasonic for a while.

Mandarin

Rough_Rock
I had my ring inspected by another jeweler before taking it back to the jeweler that did the repair. The prong setting was replaced with a white gold one (ring is platinum). The bottom of the prong setting had a "rust" type appearance and it had not been polished. The "rust" substance was also powdery and caused the diamond to get this dust on it also. When the diamond was removed and cleaned thoroughly it was fine. The setting was so badly damaged and we felt so taken advantage of that we asked for a refund. We were refunded our money, but not without much resistance. Thank you all for your help.
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results