shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this type of antique-style setting called?

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
It looks like a combo of bezel and prongs? The girdle looks like it rests within a little nest, but the girdle is not bezeled. And then it's prong set within the little nest. Is there a term for this?

It looks like it would provide good protection of the girdle while still letting in lots of light?

Would a cushion be able to be set like this, or only rounds?

il_570xn_183.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
It's not a typical bezel because it's not really holding the diamond. It couldn't be holding the diamond because it's square and the stone is round. The prongs seem to be actually holding the stone. I would say this bezel is more of a decorative element--it "squares" the round stone in top view and it functions as a collar of small stones in side view:

It's a modern ring made in a vintage style, but I don't know that it has name other than "Another stunner in a vintage style from Caysie van Bebber."

_36863.jpg

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Shoot I just realized the pic I uploaded has her logo. Logos aren't allowed right? Here it is cropped out.

screenshot_2016-03-26-17-18-45-1.png

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
CookieButterMonster, I really love this setting. It's beautiful!

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Here's another one. I've seen it a lot in antique/vintage and reproduction rings. Seems to have been a popular style.

Does anyone know if this style of setting with the prongs and little nest actually serves to let more light in to the stone? screenshot_2016-03-26-17-43-54-1.png

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano|1459039393|4011514 said:
CookieButterMonster, I really love this setting. It's beautiful!

They're sure pretty aren't they? I don't think I want anything as ornate as these, but I may incorporate this style of head/setting into a more simplistic solitaire.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
When I asked CVB , she said it is a metal halo ;))

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Diamondbug|1459047624|4011552 said:
When I asked CVB , she said it is a metal halo ;))

Oh that is a good description!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cookiebuttermonster|1459039756|4011517 said:
Here's another one. I've seen it a lot in antique/vintage and reproduction rings. Seems to have been a popular style.

Does anyone know if this style of setting with the prongs and little nest actually serves to let more light in to the stone?

No. If you have a leaky diamond, or one with windows, mounting it in tall prongs lets light in. Low heads that box in the stone do the opposite.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
AdaBeta27|1459089607|4011671 said:
cookiebuttermonster|1459039756|4011517 said:

Does anyone know if this style of setting with the prongs and little nest actually serves to let more light in to the stone?

No. If you have a leaky diamond, or one with windows, mounting it in tall prongs lets light in. Low heads that box in the stone do the opposite.

Do you think it would it let in more light than a regular bezel?

Kind of a moot point for me now as the stone I'm looking at turns out to be a new antique style cut and not a true antique, so I don't have to worry about the girdle anymore. But this is still a really pretty style of setting and seems very protective of the stone, and has a much different feel/style than a bezel.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1459109073|4011781 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reveal-single-stone-reset-lots-of-pics.179152/

Single Stone made this ring ages ago and it still was one of my front-runners with my last diamond. :)

Oh.Em.Gee. :love:

samplering.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it will give great protection for any stone, it might let in marginally more light than a full bezel but way less than a prong setting with nothing around the outside of it.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results